• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Preview Night Questions

18 posts in this topic

This will be the first preview night I have gone to, and I can't find this info on the ComiCon site, so any info from anyone who has been before welcomed.

So I have a couple questions:

1) What time do the doors open for this?

2) I have a pre-paid four day pass, when can I get my badge?

3)What time does preview night close?

4)Is this an optional event for vendors? It is a fully open floor, or do some choose not to participate?

Thanks,

Mike

You should have asked your wife first ... hi.gif

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_preview.shtml

The preview night is 3 hours, but oddly it doesn't say the start time, I think it's either 4-7pm or more likely 7-10pm, someone know for sure?

You can pick up your badge(s) on Wednesday (I'm guessing all day at the box office/will call).

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_reg.shtml

Preview night is either 5-8 or 6-9. Can't remember.

The vast majority of dealers will be there. My focus is always Golden Age, and I think the only dealer that wasn't set up for preview night, both last year and the year before, was Jon Verzyl.

I don't know what time they start distributing badges, but it's several hours before the doors open. After getting your badge, they'll try to herd you into a roped off area with thousands of other people, all waiting impatiently for preview night to begin. Don't fall for that trick. Go back downstairs, exit the building, head into the gaslamp district, and have yourself a nice dinner. Then head back to the convention center around the time the doors are open. While the hungry, herded sheep are impatiently waiting for their row to be let in the back door of the convention hall, you and your full stomach will be casually strolling through the front door, happy as a clam.

Have fun!

The last time I went through the lines as a preview night attendee (no exhibitor badge). They started lining up for badge pickup a couple hours before the doors open. When they start to hand out the badges to the pre rgistered folks the line moves pretty quick. Once you have your badge you get moved in to the cattle lines. These lines fill up in long rows, once filled, another starts. By the time preview night opens there are about 30 lines all next to each of pre registered badge holders. When the doors open the security lets the first line walk in, Then the second line, and so on. The whole process takes a while so use the can before you get in line and bring a bottle of water. I don't know how it has changed in the last couple of years.

The vast majority of dealers will be there. My focus is always Golden Age, and I think the only dealer that wasn't set up for preview night, both last year and the year before, was Jon Verzyl.

I don't know what time they start distributing badges, but it's several hours before the doors open. After getting your badge, they'll try to herd you into a roped off area with thousands of other people, all waiting impatiently for preview night to begin. Don't fall for that trick. Go back downstairs, exit the building, head into the gaslamp district, and have yourself a nice dinner. Then head back to the convention center around the time the doors are open. While the hungry, herded sheep are impatiently waiting for their row to be let in the back door of the convention hall, you and your full stomach will be casually strolling through the front door, happy as a clam.

Have fun!

it's a well-known fact in the Malacologist community that clams are vicious, ill-tempered, pessimistic mollusks with a rather poor outlook on life in general. across the entire Bivalvia Phylum, only the Rogers Datemussel is known to possess a more irascible disposition.

just thought i would clear that little misconception up. but good advice on the Con thumbsup2.gif

Have fun!

it's a well-known fact in the Malacologist community that clams are vicious, ill-tempered, pessimistic mollusks with a rather poor outlook on life in general. across the entire Bivalvia Phylum, only the Rogers Datemussel is known to possess a more irascible disposition.

just thought i would clear that little misconception up. but good advice on the Con thumbsup2.gif

screwy.gif

Have fun!

Good advice!!! thumbsup2.gif

Have fun!

Good advice!!! thumbsup2.gif

Definitely. Maybe wait 15-20 minutes after the scheduled open time and then walk in the front doors. They often wait until the herd is filed in through the back before opening the front doors on Preview Night. And each morning thereafter, do not go early. Plan on arriving 15 minutes after the open and then walk right in. It is amazing to me how many people are willing to wait hours just to get in a few minutes earlier. I never wait in anything but a short line at any time while in SD, and that is usually just the pizza line.

Thanks for all of the advice and info.

I'll drive in and arrive about 3ish, get my tickets, eat some food and mill about until a little after six.

I've stood in one of the roped off lines the first time on went on thursday of 2005. I can't think of anything that will be in the Con that makes me want to do that again. crazy.gif

Mike

Thanks for all of the advice and info.

I'll drive in and arrive about 3ish, get my tickets, eat some food and mill about until a little after six.

I've stood in one of the roped off lines the first time on went on thursday of 2005. I can't think of anything that will be in the Con that makes me want to do that again. crazy.gif

Mike

Just because you said that I'm going to go in early and buy all the Preacher pages. makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

I recall somewhere that you couldn't pick up your tickets until 4pm. confused-smiley-013.gif

I seem to remember something about that also. Might want to check it out.

Doesnt mention when badges can start being picked up

I emailed them about that, and they responded. You can start picking up badges at 4pm. I'm sure there will be a line-up and hour or two before then.

anyone know if pre-registration confirmations have been sent out yet?

j

I have not received mine yet. I'd imagine they should be here any time though.

If you paid online, you should have received an email with a bar code. You just need to print that out and bring it with you.

Even if you don't get the comfirmation letter in the mail, you should still be in thier system. It happened to me one year and I just brought copies of my credit card receipt to show payment was made.