• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoCal comic shops

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm in SoCal for vacation and wanted to hit a shop tomorrow and go back issue hunting. I'm in Upland and the closest I've found in the phone book to go to is the Comic Bookie in Claremont. Anyone been here before? Is it any good? Also, I don't mind driving out to L.A. and I know Golden Apple comics is out there, but I've never been there either. How is that place, or is there someplace else I should check out? Thanks everyone. thumbsup2.gif

I'm from SoCal but I dont know where Claremont is but I do know some cool shops.

1) Amazing Comics (Copper/Modern some Bronze) in Lakewood

2) Pulp Fiction (Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern Figures/Busts) in Lakewood

You may want to check out the Frank and Sons show on Wednesdays, late afternoon (3-9pm) and Saturdays. There are a few booths in the back with some decent comics. Some have pretty outrageous prices, but you are expected to bargain them down.

Not sure about tomorrow, you may want to call.

http://www.fs-collectibles.com/index.htm

You may want to check out the Frank and Sons show on Wednesdays, late afternoon (3-9pm) and Saturdays. There are a few booths in the back with some decent comics. Some have pretty outrageous prices, but you are expected to bargain them down.

Not sure about tomorrow, you may want to call.

http://www.fs-collectibles.com/index.htm

GOOD SUGGESTION! This is your best bet for variety. And it is relatively near Upland...about 15-20 miles south.

House of Secrets in Burbank is decent and the owners are awesome, but key SA and GA (if available) are overpriced so that you'll have to haggle a bit.

Comic Odyssey in Pasadena. Again, good people working there!

STAY AWAY FROM:

Brave New World in Valencia. What a shame that this is the only major comic shop in the 661.

i used to shop at the comic booke WAY WAY back in the days. they used to have another location. haven't been to the new one, as everytime i'm in hte area, it's monday and they're closed.

"Comic Odyssey in Pasadena. Again, good people working there!"

i couldn't agree more. that's my LCS. i live about a mile away. really good store to check out. real friendly owners

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I went to the Comic Bookie today and picked up about 6 nice bronze age ASM's for a pretty good price, but I didn't make it anywhere else yet. I think I might go towards LA on Friday. Someone else mentioned to me about a place called Meltdown Comics. Any one ever been there? As for my interests, I'm looking for mainly bronze age stuff. Thanks again.

P.S. Thanks innocuous for the thread link. thumbsup2.gif

i'm headed to hi de hoe today. funny fact. my girlfriend is going with me, and when i brought it up, she mentioned that hi de hoe was her LCS when she was young. didn't know that.

Updating this thread for the curious.

Today I went to Geoffrey's in Gardena, which is just south of LAX. For a comic shop, he had a decent collection of silver and bronze in the boxes. He even had the pricey books in boxes right in front of the register for you to look through right as you walk in. I have never seen that in a comic shop, usually they're behind the counter or just hidden. There were even a few GA titles. His grading is off a full point, but he gave a decent discount to the comics I purchased.

Among my purchases, 4 copies of Flash #177, one in a solid 8.0.

It's tuff at HDH to look for the good stuff, the stuff above on the wall are fakes (color photocopied covers around old coverless comics) and the good stuff is behind a counter next to the safe.

True. It's hard to sift through everything at Hi De Ho but if you're looking for nice BA stuff you'll probably be able to find some nice books. The super hi grade has been picked over but 8.0's and better should be plentiful.

If you're willing to drive Ralphs Comic Corner has some nice BA books amongst his 1,000,000 comics. Or drive to Santa Barbara and check out Metro Comics. They just bought a few collections and are busting at the seams in books. Their display case is full of SA/BA stuff right now. Some mid grade, some hi grade but nice stuff. Mondays is 20% offf day and they're strict graders too.

The bulk of my collection was bought new at Geoffrey's comics back in the 80`s.

My AMS #300 i bought there the day it hit the stands my Wolverine #1 my full run of American Flagg back then TMNT and fish police were hot comics.

I`ve had alot of books i bought there graded since then and got more than half 9.8`s.

I`ll have to get back there when move back to LA. (thumbs u