• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,057 posts in this topic

No, I didn't win any JLA's this time around; was under-bidder on a handful. Those discussing the depressed pricing in the Clink results thread over in General should check out what the JLAs did.

So Mike didn't get the #19...nor did I (the LL edge was too scraggly)...Scott & Tim are out of the picture... who's the new blood? Or am I missing someone?

Rick

No, I didn't win any JLA's this time around; was under-bidder on a handful. Those discussing the depressed pricing in the Clink results thread over in General should check out what the JLAs did.

So Mike didn't get the #19...nor did I (the LL edge was too scraggly)...Scott & Tim are out of the picture... who's the new blood? Or am I missing someone?

Rick

There are other players out there. After all, someone purchased my B&B 28 and JLAs.

#19 going for a huge price doesn't surprise me. It has been the remaining hold out from the 9.4 or better realm. Even #3 appeared in 9.4 earlier. Any OCD-afflicted NM JLA completist was going to want that book badly.

What I was shocked at is how much the JLA #8 9.0 went for:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Djustice%2520league%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F832291&id=832291

$1155 wow.

I bought a copy with white pages off EBAY a month or so back for $350.

Phewee! What an increase....

Edited by krey

What I was shocked at is how much the JLA 9.0 went for:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Djustice%2520league%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F832291&id=832291

$1155 wow.

Wow, even if it can be pressed up to a 9.2, that's not a good deal.

What I was shocked at is how much the JLA 9.0 went for:

$1155 wow.

Wow, even if it can be pressed up to a 9.2, that's not a good deal.

old label + a squish + preview night = possible 9.4? only way that price be a good deal

Edited by paperheart

Rick

There are other players out there. After all, someone purchased my B&B 28 and JLAs.

Oops, guess I shoulda used one of these ;):baiting::jokealert::gossip:

#19 going for a huge price doesn't surprise me. It has been the remaining hold out from the 9.4 or better realm. Even #3 appeared in 9.4 earlier. Any OCD-afflicted NM JLA label-chasing completist was going to want that book badly.

(thumbs u

Rick

#19 going for a huge price doesn't surprise me. It has been the remaining hold out from the 9.4 or better realm. Even #3 appeared in 9.4 earlier. Any OCD-afflicted NM JLA label-chasing completist was going to want that book badly.

(thumbs u

Rick

Well, in all fairness, the #19 looked like a decent book to me, so I think it's unfair to call the buyer a label chaser, which connotes buying a fugly book so long as it has a pretty label (e.g., the buyer of the 9.6 #16).

To be really fair, Tim, there are different degrees of decent/fugly/grading/appeal. The #19 is a nice looking book, but I wouldn't give it a 9.4 with that LL corner. But at least 2 others felt it was worth driving the price up to a 9.4 level. Hey, it's their money.

My definition of a label chaser is "going after the grade listed...period. Regardless of the book's assumed grade determined by consensus opinion (or just my own subjective opinion)." I never said the book was fugly, though generally that is the assumed condition of a book that's waay over-graded.

As for the #16 9.6 :roflmao: It's sale has actually helped immensely in giving me proper perspective on collecting. I was thinking that I could one day have the highest graded JLA set ever. Now I see that'll never happen, because I'll never want a book like that in my set (not permanently anyway). Its at the same time sad & a relief. Are there any complete 300+ issue CGC sets without a Top-Grade book that make people wince at the sight of it? Ghost Town/Tripps/...anybody? Seems like the odds are way against it.

Rick

I'm really surprised by your strong feelings about the #19, Rick. didn't think it was such a bad book. It's not like there were threads devoted to calling it an overgraded POS. Maybe it isn't the best 9.4 I've ever seen, but it certainly isn't the first book (or even the 100th) that I'd trot out as an example of an "overgraded" book either.

Are there any complete 300+ issue CGC sets without a Top-Grade book that make people wince at the sight of it? Ghost Town/Tripps/...anybody? Seems like the odds are way against it.

Rick

A set made up mostly of PC books would probably come closest to it. They're almost all well-centered, have great eye appeal and have great structure. I don't recall ever seeing an overgraded PC "monstrosity".

I don't have "strong" feelings against #19, just felt it wasn't worth the grade or the subsequent price. Relatively speaking, it's a preference thing. Heck I could be in the minority here! The LL corner bothers me, where a date stamp or slight even mis-wrap would not. Comparatively speaking, it's a gem when sitting next to the #16.

I'm actually glad for this sale; I'm hoping it'll bring out more/better #19s ! That's what happened as soon as I bought the 9.2 #4...BAM comes the 9.4 that you snagged, Tim.

The PC set sounds like it would be the one that's most consistently on target with the given grades.

OK, tougher question now: any current collections (meaning not broken up) that would fit the bill? Who would be closest?

Follow up query: which would you rather view at Geppi's(?) comic museum- a 9.6 average set (9.4-9.8) of 250+ with 5% "fugly" books...or a straight-up 9.4 of the same set where all grades are well-earned?

Rick

Follow up query: which would you rather view at Geppi's(?) comic museum- a 9.6 average set (9.4-9.8) of 250+ with 5% "fugly" books...or a straight-up 9.4 of the same set where all grades are well-earned?

Rick

I think it depends on the era. For GA and early SA, there may not be multiple NM copies of a book, so whatever exists is the hand you're dealt, unless you're willing to dip into much lower grades to try to find a non-fugly book.

For post-1964 SA and BA, there's no question that a book should be structurally sound, well graded AND have good PQ. I'm just amazed particularly by all of the fugly BA books with great labels that proudly get paraded around. I'd rather have a perfectly centered 9.4 OW BA than some miswrapped 9.8 W monstrosity.