• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transformers 1,2,3 3 pack

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys - what do you think of this item? Trash or treasure? Break it open and get them graded or let them ride on eBay as-is?

tf3p_fc.jpg

tf3p_bc.jpg

Grade'em! that #1 & 3 look sweet! But beware of 2nd prints on the #1.I never knew about them til I got one back from CGC labeled a 2nd print.I sold a 9.8 #3 last month for $300+!!. And as crazy as the 1st print #1 is,a 2nd print 9.8 would bring atleast $100.

And with a Spag's sticker on the bag! I used to go there when I lived in Mass. back in 1988.Man that place sold everything!!

Yes! Purchased at SPAGS in Shrewsbury, Mass in 1984 or 1985!

Is there any way to tell on the second prints of #1 except to look at the indica?

So, you think the interest and prices on these goes beyond the movie hype? I hadn't looked at GPA on these until a few weeks ago. If I grade em I wont have em back for a month or two.

I think the movie hype is what's driving these. The book was $20 tops in nice raw shape, but I've sold 2 raw NM #1's in the last month for $60 each. I'd try throwing up the three pack as is and move it before the movie gets stale.

-Chris

I'd grade'em. The movie hype will die down,but there's still time to make some good money on high grade CGC copies. I know you have a good eye,from the Valiant stuff I've seen you sell...if they were atleast 9.6's,they'd be packed and gone to Florida!

Yes, you are probably right, but I am having a crisis thinking about opening that 3-pack. It just feels wrong. They sure look 9.6 or better with white white pages to me but I'm going to let someone else make that call. I'm even getting a pre-screen ready for Floridy over the next few weeks so it would be easy. Eh, maybe I'll change my mind by then.

I appreciate everyone's help. I thought they were worth sharing.

the kicker is just not knowing if that #1 is a 1st print or a 2nd print.Otherwise,opening it and the $10-$15 gamble on the pre-screen would be worth it.

F#@$!!! I wonder how many of my #1s are second prints. I never checked when buying them.

I remember opening a bunch of these 3 packs when they originally came out. They were all first printings. An interesting note about the 3 packs - the #3's actualy have a different ad on the back than the ones that were sold on the newsstands and through direct sales. What's strange is that these were printed BEFORE the newsstand versions. The ad on the #3's is from the previous month (the same as issue #2 and #1). The ad on the one that was released on the newsstands and through direct sales had a tan background. This version had a black background.

So, does this make the ones available through this three pack more desirable or less desirable? Anybody else know this?

I was always of the belief that those were second prints. It's what I was told many years ago by a dealer.

Maybe he was wrong. I don't know. But, I have always been told that many of the bagged editions of Transformers were second prints.

There was a store in my neighborhood that sold those and the GI JOE 3-packs and they were ALL second and third printings.

How do you know the ones in the three packs with the different ads were printed BEFORE the ones that were sold on news stands and in direct market stores?

Mike B.

I was always of the belief that those were second prints. It's what I was told many years ago by a dealer.

Maybe he was wrong. I don't know. But, I have always been told that many of the bagged editions of Transformers were second prints.

There was a store in my neighborhood that sold those and the GI JOE 3-packs and they were ALL second and third printings.

How do you know the ones in the three packs with the different ads were printed BEFORE the ones that were sold on news stands and in direct market stores?

Mike B.

I can confirm that the bagged 3 pack Transformers are not second prints, as I opened all of mine and all are first prints.

An interesting note about the 3 packs - the #3's actualy have a different ad on the back than the ones that were sold on the newsstands and through direct sales. What's strange is that these were printed BEFORE the newsstand versions. The ad on the #3's is from the previous month (the same as issue #2 and #1). The ad on the one that was released on the newsstands and through direct sales had a tan background. This version had a black background.

So, does this make the ones available through this three pack more desirable or less desirable? Anybody else know this?

I did not know about the different ads. Either CGC figured it out or someone told them about it, because they are noting it on the label.

45571-trans3.jpg.3239e210d4e0ecc3fc3aaef199b8007f.jpg

I did not know about the different ads. Either CGC figured it out or someone told them about it, because they are noting it on the label.

Hey, that's my book. Somebody go buy it! (thumbs u I don't know if I had anything to do with it, but I'll take indirect responsibility for it being noted. I had submitted numerous #3's but always one at a time with other titles, and it wasn't until this last submission that I submitted two copies, both with the different back cover, that they finally noted the difference on the label. Here's the different ads for anyone who wants to see them:

Transformers3BC1.jpg

Transformers3BC2.jpg

The Star Wars ad was the one that appeared on the #3 that came in the three-pack. It was also the ad that appeared on all editions of #1 & 2. That's how you can tell that it was printed first. At the time, Marvel just printed whatever the ad of the month was on the back of books.

I did alert Tom G. at Overstreet about this "variant" a few months ago. I wonder if it will get noted in future versions of the price guide. Which is worth more to collectors? I assume there are fewer copies of the three-pack version in existence.