• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab Collectors- To Read or Not to Read... That is the Question!

Do you acquire reader copies of your slabbed books (original copies or reprints)?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Do you acquire reader copies of your slabbed books (original copies or reprints)?

20 posts in this topic

Okay, I had a discussion with my LCS owner about slabbing books yesterday. He remarked how he was happy to sell me a bunch of his key silvers since he knows I will be taking them home to read as opposed to slabbing them. I think that's one (of a few) reason(s) as to why I haven't gotten into collecting slabs is because I'd lose the ability to read the stories and enjoy the artwork on the inside.

So, the question for this poll: those of you who slab your books, do you buy some form of a reader copy (original raw copy or reprint) of your slabbed books or no? If not, how come? Not trying to start any sort of flame war over one form of collecting books as better than the other- just trying to better understand a large population in this hobby. smile.gif

i prefer to have reading copies of the books i have in slabs

however, there are books that i would get slabbed that i have previously read, yet do not own any extra copies of

I went with sometimes. There are a lot of books that I love just for their covers; the stories inside not so much. Example: Justice Inc #1 has an amazing cover. I am going to get my copy (9.2-9.4) signed by Joe Kubert and probably get a high grade Blue slab as well. I haven't read that book since I was 5 and I don't need to read it again. Now the Aparo Spectre Adventure run, that is a different story!

i prefer to have reading copies of the books i have in slabs

however, there are books that i would get slabbed that i have previously read, yet do not own any extra copies of

same here. I usualy have both, slabbed and a reading copy

I too have reading copies or reprints of all my slabbed books.

I don't read any of my expensive high grade books anymore because I'm paranoid that I'll spill beer on it or something :eek: :eek: :eek:.

I don't collect slabs, but occasionally I'll buy one just because it's a good price, and crack it open. Sometimes you can get a nice slabbed midgrade copy of something on Ebay for well under guide. And since you know it's guaranteed to be that grade it's an attractive deal. But ulitmately slabbed books just aren't something I'm interested in.

Between Marvel essentials and marvel masterworks i`m covered for the older books i buy, and most of them are`nt slabed i just dont like handling my early spider-mans or avengers,i seal them in mylar and i grab marvel masterworks for reading the story.

Other books i`ve had graded i read first and still got 9.8`s. (thumbs u

I had to go with No just because the choices were limited. The comics I like to buy, rare as that is, would have reader copies being too expensive to buy just for reading. Usually I like to get keys from all ages (up to Bronze, let's not be crazy!) and Golden Age war comics for collecting. Many of the ones I'm interested in have stories reprinted in compilations (Essential Marvels, Showcase Presents, etc.) and I do buy those for reading.

I also just got a run of Karate Kid from the 70s for reading because I remember really liking it as a kid. Funny, kind of seems like very limited plot and writing now... hm

I own raw copies of virtually every BA book I collect, so the CGC copies are dupes simply for fun and to complete a set.

But it's not just the reading aspect, but even taking it out and viewing it. Or just looking it over through a Mylar or Mylites2 - these both beat a CGC slab by a country mile.

The slabbed copy is just for the collection, with the grade locked in, and I usually have reader copies of the same books around to open and examine the original work. I don't like the reprints/millenium editions and want to get the book as it appeared in print originally.