• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Long Until You Found Your First BIG Grail?

37 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering how long it took each of you to find your first BIG "grail" comic from the time you first set eyes on it to when you finally got it in-hand? (BIG doesn't necessarily mean most expensive, but instead, MOST desired).

Funny thing is once you find your "grail" suddenly you discover another "grail".

No escaping from the addiction of collecting.... makepoint.gif

Wait and see.

First there's upgrading.

Then sigs.

When you're done with that you sell most it off to go to an earlier age.

BA --> SA or SA --> GA

Then finally the OA bug hits.

No end ever... frustrated.gif

I started collecting JLAs back in '85. Picked up #s 5,7,8,9,10 & 11 all at the same time/same dealer at the Con for a song (even back then). Got my #2 via mail order the next year and #3 soon after that at SD. The whole time I kept my eye out for a VF/NM #4 -Green Arrow joins- to round things out.....

Fast forward to August of last year. Finally after 21 years, it's mine! acclaim.gif

And anyone thinking about issue #1, that's not a "grail" book to me like #4. Expensive, yes. Hard to find in decent grade, no not really.

Rick

Wow.... 21 years. That's awesome Rick.

And Aces- what does it mean if you've more or less jumped the first steps to get right into SA?-) I'm screwed. 27_laughing.gif

As I told my wife though once I started getting back into this- there are worse addictions in life a guy could have. I'm not out to the bars, I don't smoke, and I even go to church with her almost every week. SOooo buying comics isn't really THAT bad of an addiction. wink.gif But you never answered my question: what was your first big grail? You've been collecting for sometime now-- I'm sure you have a story you can share smile.gif

Well I'm not sure if this really what you mean, but once I decide I want a book I start searching for it almost daily in the usual locations until I find the "perfect" book for me.

Took me about 7 months to find my FF#1 (and I had been following each and every auction for this book even 5 months prior to that)

Took me about 6 months for ASM#1...again searching and looking almost every day

Found my AF15 before I started searching seriously, but then that didn't work out all too well...

My next grail is Batman #1.... but I'm sure that will take about 2-3 years

i got my hulk 181 about 2 years into collecting (20 years ago). Thats when grails were $20, nothing since has made me decide to drop more than $100 on a book.

can't afford my real grails, ie pre-robin detective.

so all silver batman keys, still not done with that one. been 15 years!!!!

damn detective comics 168, even in low grade this one sells for multiples of OSPG

phantom lady matt baker run, had three of them, had to sell and start over!!!

then there are all the sub grails

jim 83-85,88-95

and a nice VF ToS 63!!!!!

collecting all the cap. america ToS in F+-VF+ only 20+ more damn it!!!!

then there is the grail of the week!!!!

march of crime(phantom lady reprints) ,fox giants anyone????

OT,would those be reprints?? since fox would take unsold books a bind them together

and sell them as giants???

The biggest grail I own is an FF #1, but I wasn't even looking for one when I found it.

I wasn't looking for one because I never thought I'd be able to afford one. But a fellow board member posted one for sale two Decembers ago, and I was the first person who was both interested and able to pay right then & there. So it was mine, mine, ALL mine! grin.gif

I've also got coverless copies of (SA) GL #1 and (SA) JLA #1, but they weren't expensive at all.

I first held a Hulk #1 in my hands in 1977 and my father gave me the look that i was crazy to pay $XX for a single comic book. I would up leaving that show without the book even though I had the money. Long story short I picked up my first copy 2 years ago from Bob Storms. Still can't believe I own it every time I take it out to look at it. So it took me 28 years.

About 6 months, thanks to this forum and SilverSurfer

It aint no Action 2, but still a grail

All-Select Comics #1

Has that been reprinted anywhere, cover and all?

There is a reprint out there, can be found on ebay. I know for certain that there is one currently for sale in a ebay seller's store for about $50.