• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Updated Site

490 posts in this topic

New board software displays greamlins forcing the size to 15x15.

HTML code:

cloud9.gif\(shrug\)

Real size of the greamlins is 26x28.

That's all...

headbang.gif

graemlin size is automatically set by another string of code. the trick is finding out which one. i suspect it's in the UBB code somewhere as a "smiley" default

I understand that with any new roll out, there's a period of time where adjustments are made... so I'm not too concerned.

The addition of a second banner ad after the first post IS jarring though... as my mind is currently configured to see that break in space as the END of the page. After I adblock it, the site flows much more smoothly for me although I STILL DO see the text line for the advertiser which is not a big deal for my eyes. (I realize you probably want that middle ad above the fold to maximize hits.)

So while that text line advertisement still registers as an advertiser for me, it doesn't visually irritate my eyes and scanning. (Which, I think, is still valid from your perspective as a company. The Advertising is still being imprinted (whether consciously or unconsciously) as the eye DOES scan over it, but it doesn't interrupt the flow of your site.

I wouldn't adblock the ad on top or bottom of the page normally though.. but the middle advertisement is forcing me to do that.

Summary:

What you might want to consider is keeping the top and bottom advertisements, but making the middle advertisement a text only line.

[font:Arial]Arch,

Yes there was nitpicking, complaints, etc. The work of a sys admin is a thankless one; I work in IT as well.

But please consider this for improvement---There was literally NO warning on upcoming changes, request for feedback, or just plain out time for you or CGC to SELL THE ADVANTAGES of the new features...you simply "slapped them on" and in effect meant to the rest of us "deal with it". You could've done work in progress screenshots, build a FAQ so the old guys here on the forum can get up to speed quickly, etc.

Just work at better advance communication when something this big occurs. I personally thought this was just another minor upgrade as all I saw was a note from dena a day before the upgrade.

BTW, my first reaction was shock, disarray, a feeling of being lost, etc. It's been a day and I'm feeling much better, and thank you for addressing *SOME* of the perceived shortcomings in the upgrade.

Help me help you. [/font]

• Administrator
Arch,

Yes there was nitpicking, complaints, etc. The work of a sys admin is a thankless one; I work in IT as well.

But please consider this for improvement---There was literally NO warning on upcoming changes, request for feedback, or just plain out time for you or CGC to SELL THE ADVANTAGES of the new features...you simply "slapped them on" and said "deal with it". You could've done work in progress screenshots, build a FAQ so the old guys here on the forum can get up to speed quickly, etc.

Just work at better advance communication when something this big occurs. I personally thought this was just another minor upgrade as all I saw was a note from dena a day before the upgrade.

Help me help you.

I'd say the reaction to what you see as major changes was surprising. I didn't think such a big adjustment would be necessary.

[font:Arial]

Arch,

I'm speaking from more of a general feeling of the community rather than just myself. Basically, what the IT guy considers to be a minor upgrade could in effect be in the eyes of the people using the system a "major upgrade".

Take for example my current project. I'm doing all of these complex back-end server processes...but because the end user doesn't see it...they don't care. If I make ANY changes to the UI (where the user spends the time) and they will make a mountain out of a mole hill.

The CGC team could've done more to communicate the upgrade...at least it wouldn't come as a surprise. My .02.

[/font]

Yeah, and just cause I pump gas at Hess, I should be sent an invitation to their annual Board meeting, maybe even get a voting seat.

lol

I am a bit surprised at the sense of entitlement around here. Sheesh... you'd think we were paying admission to these boards or something!

My grandpa used to say something about looking a gift horse in the mouth...

I still don't get this sort of "shut up and take it" mentality. Since my last response got no reply's, I'll repost it again:

There's plenty of "Free" websites out there. We all have chosen this one for various reasons and obviously CGC see's this site as beneficial to their business (or they wouldn't bother having it if it wasn't). The volume here is obviously seen as sufficiant enough to attract companies who are now willing to buy banner ads here, so yes, I think CGC should listen to our criticisms and opinions.

I keep getting this feeling like WE are the ones who should always be so grateful, but it's a two way street...one can't exist without the other.

I'd say I'm shooting for something less like "shut up and take it" and more like "provide feedback in a new new way with 50% less drama".

Frankly, if you spoke to each other that way, most of you would probably have strikes right now and/or be spoiling for a fist fight. If I spoke to you guys that way... why I think the top of your heads would blow off. You might never recover from the spike in blood pressure.

Let us collaborate on generating a great posting environment politely without the hyperbole. Group hug?

Jeez Arch...50% less!! That'll be tough, could we maybe settle for 25% less...that might be doable. :baiting:

20031110-Pooh-Bear-Group-Hug.gif

• Administrator

Arch,

I'm speaking from more of a general feeling of the community rather than just myself. Basically, what the IT guy considers to be a minor upgrade could in effect be in the eyes of the people using the system a "major upgrade".

Take for example my current project. I'm doing all of these complex back-end server processes...but because the end user doesn't see it...they don't care. If I make ANY changes to the UI (where the user spends the time) and they will make a mountain out of a mole hill.

The CGC team could've done more to communicate the upgrade...at least it wouldn't come as a surprise. My .02.

[/font]

Yep, clearly I underestimated the response. The coin guys had some comments, but no giant issues. It's been much more interesting on this side, I'll say that! :)

• Administrator
Yeah, and just cause I pump gas at Hess, I should be sent an invitation to their annual Board meeting, maybe even get a voting seat.

lol

I am a bit surprised at the sense of entitlement around here. Sheesh... you'd think we were paying admission to these boards or something!

My grandpa used to say something about looking a gift horse in the mouth...

I still don't get this sort of "shut up and take it" mentality. Since my last response got no reply's, I'll repost it again:

There's plenty of "Free" websites out there. We all have chosen this one for various reasons and obviously CGC see's this site as beneficial to their business (or they wouldn't bother having it if it wasn't). The volume here is obviously seen as sufficiant enough to attract companies who are now willing to buy banner ads here, so yes, I think CGC should listen to our criticisms and opinions.

I keep getting this feeling like WE are the ones who should always be so grateful, but it's a two way street...one can't exist without the other.

I'd say I'm shooting for something less like "shut up and take it" and more like "provide feedback in a new new way with 50% less drama".

Frankly, if you spoke to each other that way, most of you would probably have strikes right now and/or be spoiling for a fist fight. If I spoke to you guys that way... why I think the top of your heads would blow off. You might never recover from the spike in blood pressure.

Let us collaborate on generating a great posting environment politely without the hyperbole. Group hug?

Jeez Arch...50% less!! That'll be tough, could we maybe settle for 25% less...that might be doable. :baiting:

20031110-Pooh-Bear-Group-Hug.gif

:takeit:

41042-takeit.gif.3e9b8e61fd137a7cd82dac6632108a51.gif

Arch,

[/font]

Yep, clearly I underestimated the response. The coin guys had some comments, but no giant issues. It's been much more interesting on this side, I'll say that! :)

Why is this showing two different size fonts? is this being done manually?

coinees are sheep. sheep, i say

Arch,

[/font]

Yeesh, everyone must have me on ignore. I found it thanks!

Arch,

[/font]

Yeesh, everyone must have me on ignore. I found it thanks!

Did you just say something buddy ?

we can increase type sizes?

how about changing the default viewing size?

wasnt that in our old preferences?

[font:Arial Black]will it be there when the color palette ability returns?[/font]

gee, I never changed fonts before. nice and easy.

At least this still works :)
You rule :grin:

I'd reply with a headbanging graemlin, but it's too small to have any impact :crazy:

:) :)