• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Board... Anything anyone likes so far?
2 2

298 posts in this topic

Compared to other apps on my phone with which I read news article I really like the new boards.  It's great for a 5-10 minute distraction. 

My only complaint is the size restriction on images.  If I can't simply click and post from my phone I'm less likely to share.  That won't be a problem for me until I have another sales thread, but I'll deal. 

So far so good! 

I like the new boards (full stop.) I do this stuff for a living (at a very high level) and this is a much better, much more modern design. I have some issues with it, but  I believe a lot of the negative reaction is down to change aversion.  This reaction (burn it to the ground!) is very common when you have a long-time, passionate user-base. 

2 hours ago, rob_react said:

I like the new boards (full stop.) I do this stuff for a living (at a very high level) and this is a much better, much more modern design. I have some issues with it, but  I believe a lot of the negative reaction is down to change aversion.  This reaction (burn it to the ground!) is very common when you have a long-time, passionate user-base. 

Nice!

3 hours ago, rob_react said:

As is evident by the fact that this thread was actually created for the last major change, nearly a decade ago, and was merely bumped for this one.

Now everyone (not really) wants to go back to the familiar and comfortable old design that they didn't like when it was introduced. lol

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Like the Got to Topic Listing arrow at the bottom and the fact that unread posts remain unread even if you visit a forum and come back to it later.

+1

Totally with you on this positive change 100%.  (thumbsu

Hated that part of the old boards since you could never keep track of your read and unread posts if you left your computer for more than half a hour or whatever time frame it was.  :censored:

I just found something neat. I typed out a post, previewed it, cut it, since I was not sure it was in the right place and when I went back, the board had saved my text! 

I can't tell you how many times in the past I've typed something out, accidentally deleted it and had to go through hoops trying to find it, (if I could)

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I just found something neat. I typed out a post, previewed it, cut it, since I was not sure it was in the right place and when I went back, the board had saved my text! 

I can't tell you how many times in the past I've typed something out, accidentally deleted it and had to go through hoops trying to find it, (if I could)

I like that feature as well. I found out about it yesterday.

13 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

Just curious if there was any consideration to custom build forums -- that way they could be 100% customizable.

And cost a few hundred thousand bucks instead of a few hundred.

few hundred thousand? umm, you could get a group of college students to do it for an internship and pay nothing.

Or you could hire a development professional to do it for well under 10,000. Not sure where you got your figure from, but it's astronomical. I don't say this from lack of experience, as I have a development/IT background.

12 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

few hundred thousand? umm, you could get a group of college students to do it for an internship and pay nothing.

Or you could hire a development professional to do it for well under 10,000. Not sure where you got your figure from, but it's astronomical. I don't say this from lack of experience, as I have a development/IT background.

He accessed the wrong wikipedia article

3 hours ago, NamesJay said:

Throw in some free grading and I'm in. UX/I by trade here :)

I never was a user of any of the mystuff functions on the old boards but I have been experimenting with the "unread content" in the activity drop down & find that pretty useful.  

When you find something that is interesting you can jump to just that post by clicking on the time OR use the star/dot to read all unread posts up to the one that recently popped up in the activity feed.