• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got room for a lonely book?

50 posts in this topic

My question is: At what point does someone tell Steve: 'Hey Steve, look at this batch of books!" and Steve picks up the phone and contact the person to talk this submission over and send them the books back and they're out only the shipping fees?"

I know they're a business but come on! A bunch of 0.5? ... unless this person submitted before and continues to do, in which case, I'd say: "Okay, that's what they want to do!"

This might not be everyone's opinion here but I sure would do it (and that's probably why I don't run my own business).

There's always the slim possibility that someone is sending in their childhood treasures and getting them slabbed purely as a momento, not for resale value.

While I can't argue that a call to the submitter would be a bad thing, I can also buy into the argument that CGC isn't in the business of making value judgements regarding the wisdom of submissions.

Does McDonalds turn away the morbidly obese because they really shouldn't be eating that type of food or does Barnes and Noble tell the lady buying a stack of romance novels she shouldn't be wasting her money on that mindless drivel?

One thing they could offer (for a fee) is a different type of prescreen for every bronze/modern book that would eliminate books that are clearly very low grades. I'm talking about anything you could tell from 10 feet away was going to be a 4.0 or less. It wouldn't take much time and it might generate repeat business from the people who were pleased to have saved some money. Most people who get a bunch of back like this would be wary of slabbing in the future.

There's always the slim possibility that someone is sending in their childhood treasures and getting them slabbed purely as a momento, not for resale value.

That's my first guess. My 2nd, more cynical one, is that the collection is being sold as part of a divorce settlement and the seller really doesn't wish to see them go. What irony--forced to sell his childhood collection, he takes money out of the communal property to make them more "saleable", and in doing so, prices them out the range of any sane purchaser, ensuring they go no where.

That would be funny.

My question is: At what point does someone tell Steve: 'Hey Steve, look at this batch of books!" and Steve picks up the phone and contact the person to talk this submission over and send them the books back and they're out only the shipping fees?"

I know they're a business but come on! A bunch of 0.5? ... unless this person submitted before and continues to do, in which case, I'd say: "Okay, that's what they want to do!"

This might not be everyone's opinion here but I sure would do it (and that's probably why I don't run my own business).

I wholeheartedly agree (if I were CGC I'd establish a policy that unless the book is worth guide...at a minimum...above the cost of the grading/encasement it is returned without charge)...just seeing crappy beaters in $16 and $29 CGC cases makes me ill...I guess another way to look at it is thanks to cluelessness like this I guess we're rounding out the Census...

what are you, a bunch of communists? if a person has not done even the most modicum or research prior to dropping a large or so on slabbing books, then why should CGC be the ones to inform them? i mean, there's being a nice guy, and being a charity. Steve is the former, but to expect him to be the latter is ridiculous. how about some personal responsibility on the part of the person sending a fine copy of Cap 213 with a damned page missing?

people come here all the time asking if they should slab book a or b or whatever. these people get good advice. this is my definition of "a modicum of research." it's lazy, but it works.

lonelybooks didn't even do that. lonelybooks jumped in to the game with both feet, blindfolded, and this is how he will learn a lesson. lesson's ain't free in the world of business

I couldn't agree more. People who don't do their homework pay the price, simple as that.

I thought about that possibility and a quick phone call would have confirmed that it was the person's wishes so that was covered.

... does Barnes and Noble tell the lady buying a stack of romance novels she shouldn't be wasting her money on that mindless drivel?

No but then again it's a different situation. I'm sure that lady has already bought and enjoyed romance novels while it might be this submitter's first experience and there lied (sp?) my pointing out the difference. However, in this scenario, I wouldn't be adverse to the staff at B&N making the lady (or me) a recommendation for other books she might enjoy (and that the B&N employee believes has higher literary value).

Remember, this is my judgment call based on how I would act. I don't have a problem with CGC deciding not to. There's always a gap between the legal thing to do and the ethical thing to do. Most of the time, we know where the legal limit is; the ethical limit varies by person so no need discussing that ad eternum ...

I must be oversensitive today - I feel sorta bad this guy is going to take a serious bath.

Although my feelings will probably change in a month or so after seeing these same unbought books again and again (a-la DTA) every time I conduct a search with “CGC” in it.

i feel bad for the person who decided to spend all that $$$ slabbing books that have absolutely no business being in a slab. i hope "lonelybooks" is a sole proprietor...with a healthy amount of cash in reserve to absorb the cost of that slab bath they're going to be taking

:tonofbricks:

There are some folks who collect 0.5 slabbed books. It's a pretty interesting concept if you think about it because for the vast majority of books, a 0.5 slabbed book should be pretty rare because who in their right minds would pay the cost of slabbing one? Maybe this guy is angry at the 3.0s and such that he got back. lol

There are some folks who collect 0.5 slabbed books. It's a pretty interesting concept if you think about it because for the vast majority of books, a 0.5 slabbed book should be pretty rare because who in their right minds would pay the cost of slabbing one? Maybe this guy is angry at the 3.0s and such that he got back. lol

Can I interest you in an AF15 slabbed and graded 0.0?

It really is a sweet copy. Sure, it's missing the front cover and all of the interior pages, but other than that, it's pristine. Seriously, the staples are flawless. No rust whatsoever.

You can be the first and ONLY collector to own a CGC 0.0.

Some guy "Old Comics are worth a lot of money"

Lonely "Oh really?"

Some Guy "Yeah, the older they are the more expensive"

Lonely "I have tons of old comics"

Some guy "Really you should sell them on Ebay"

Lonely "Well I already sell books on Ebay, so this should be just as easy"

Some Guy "But wait there's more..you can have a company called CGC slab your books, it will increase your profits and it attracts more buyers because they feel safe buying third party graded books."

Lonely "Really?.. Whats that name again?...C G C you said"

Some Guy "yup"

Lonely "I am going to send all of them in and list them all at once, I will make a killing"

Some Guy "Don't forget about me any my share once they sell, here is my number "

Months later..

Lonely "Where the f is that guys number who told me old comics were worth money"

:mad:

I feel bad for that guy. He obviously doesn't know anything about the hobby. He should have done his homework before jumping in head first.

I think he'll own those books for a long long time

I feel bad for that guy. He obviously doesn't know anything about the hobby. He should have done his homework before jumping in head first.

Admittedly even the smallest amount of home work through watching ebay sales alone would of shown the guy that grade is king for CGC books, of any kind.

And filling out the forms for submission to CGC would of clearly illustrated the size of the whole he was about to make in his pocket.

So you'd think on the balance of those two small things alone, he would of at least approached this venture tentatively.

Dooh doh!

Admittedly even the smallest amount of home work through watching ebay sales alone would of shown the guy that grade is king for CGC books, of any kind.

And filling out the forms for submission to CGC would of clearly illustrated the size of the whole he was about to make in his pocket.

So you'd think on the balance of those two small things alone, he would of at least approached this venture tentatively.

Dooh doh!

I hear ya. I really can't muster too much sympathy for a buffoon who tried to cash in with fool's gold. The slightest amount of due diligence would have quickly shown he was making a mistake.

Some guy "Old Comics are worth a lot of money"

Lonely "Oh really?"

Some Guy "Yeah, the older they are the more expensive"

Lonely "I have tons of old comics"

Some guy "Really you should sell them on Ebay"

Lonely "Well I already sell books on Ebay, so this should be just as easy"

Some Guy "But wait there's more..you can have a company called CGC slab your books, it will increase your profits and it attracts more buyers because they feel safe buying third party graded books."

Lonely "Really?.. Whats that name again?...C G C you said"

Some Guy "yup"

Lonely "I am going to send all of them in and list them all at once, I will make a killing"

Some Guy "Don't forget about me any my share once they sell, here is my number "

Months later..

Lonely "Where the f is that guys number who told me old comics were worth money"

:mad:

lol... Very believeable. :applause:

It hurts to look at his list of books.

9f42_3.JPG

I feel sorry for the guy and I could sympathize with some of those grades. I just recently received a batch of CGC books. One of the grades for my Richie Rich Millions #21 was

CGC 6.5 QUALIFIED: "2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,12 PGS MISSING INCOMPLETE.

:tonofbricks: