• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got room for a lonely book?

50 posts in this topic

I normally don't comment on eBay auctions, but this one makes my first CGC submission look like I hit the lottery.

And they paid for CGC imaging to boot.

That SOSH #13 CGC 3.0 is looking very enticing to me right now. :luhv:

Or how about a Mad About Millie in searing high 2.0 grade?

I love that these are the only defects noted, "3 pieces of tape on spine. 2 pieces of tape on interior cover." I wonder what else is going wrong with that unloved comic to grade out at a 0.5?

I just reread that story arc last night... great stuff. I love Romita Sr. :cloud9:

i feel bad for the person who decided to spend all that $$$ slabbing books that have absolutely no business being in a slab. i hope "lonelybooks" is a sole proprietor...with a healthy amount of cash in reserve to absorb the cost of that slab bath they're going to be taking

:tonofbricks:

My God... this fool must have spend over a thousand dollars slabbing dozens of low grade Bronze Age books. doh!

48b3_12.JPG

Did he think that a plastic slab was going to turn quarter bin books into gold?

The CGC guy packing the return shipment must have laughed his azz off...

I could let this go, and I sent "lonelybooks" a message.

"Forgive me for being blunt, but do you have any idea what you're doing? A $122 "Buy it now" on this comic with a CGC grade of 0.5??? Buy a copy of the Overstreet Guide and get to know the market. This comic in CGC 2.0 grade is listed at less than $35. Also, no serious collector is interested in comics of this era in grades like yours - unless they are extremely rare or "key" books, which none of yours are. There is absolutely no point in getting comics like yours "slabbed" by CGC. It's a big waste of money. Good luck to you, but I'd be amazed if any of your books sold."

I could let this go, and I sent "lonelybooks" a message.

"Forgive me for being blunt, but do you have any idea what you're doing? A $122 "Buy it now" on this comic with a CGC grade of 0.5??? Buy a copy of the Overstreet Guide and get to know the market. This comic in CGC 2.0 grade is listed at less than $35. Also, no serious collector is interested in comics of this era in grades like yours - unless they are extremely rare or "key" books, which none of yours are. There is absolutely no point in getting comics like yours "slabbed" by CGC. It's a big waste of money. Good luck to you, but I'd be amazed if any of your books sold."

Dead on... however, I wouldn't expect a sincere thanks. In my experience, people typically don't take well to a cold dose of reality when it impacts their pocketbooks. He'll either tell you to mind your own business, you are wrong and/or "GET A LIFE, LOOSER!" lol

My question is: At what point does someone tell Steve: 'Hey Steve, look at this batch of books!" and Steve picks up the phone and contact the person to talk this submission over and send them the books back and they're out only the shipping fees?"

I know they're a business but come on! A bunch of 0.5? ... unless this person submitted before and continues to do, in which case, I'd say: "Okay, that's what they want to do!"

This might not be everyone's opinion here but I sure would do it (and that's probably why I don't run my own business).

My question is: At what point does someone tell Steve: 'Hey Steve, look at this batch of books!" and Steve picks up the phone and contact the person to talk this submission over and send them the books back and they're out only the shipping fees?"

I know they're a business but come on! A bunch of 0.5? ... unless this person submitted before and continues to do, in which case, I'd say: "Okay, that's what they want to do!"

This might not be everyone's opinion here but I sure would do it (and that's probably why I don't run my own business).

I wholeheartedly agree (if I were CGC I'd establish a policy that unless the book is worth guide...at a minimum...above the cost of the grading/encasement it is returned without charge)...just seeing crappy beaters in $16 and $29 CGC cases makes me ill...I guess another way to look at it is thanks to cluelessness like this I guess we're rounding out the Census...

I wholeheartedly agree (if I were CGC I'd establish a policy that unless the book is worth guide...at a minimum...above the cost of the grading/encasement it is returned without charge)...just seeing crappy beaters in $16 and $29 CGC cases makes me ill...I guess another way to look at it is thanks to cluelessness like this I guess we're rounding out the Census...

what are you, a bunch of communists? if a person has not done even the most modicum or research prior to dropping a large or so on slabbing books, then why should CGC be the ones to inform them? i mean, there's being a nice guy, and being a charity. Steve is the former, but to expect him to be the latter is ridiculous. how about some personal responsibility on the part of the person sending a fine copy of Cap 213 with a damned page missing?

people come here all the time asking if they should slab book a or b or whatever. these people get good advice. this is my definition of "a modicum of research." it's lazy, but it works.

lonelybooks didn't even do that. lonelybooks jumped in to the game with both feet, blindfolded, and this is how he will learn a lesson. lesson's ain't free in the world of business