• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice for first-time "dealer" at a local Con?

47 posts in this topic

I set up at shows all the time, and do great with 1 table of $2 boxes, 6 comics for $10, and my other tables with better material in mylar or CGC. My $2 boxes are books from mostly bronze age, with some silver beaters mixed in. Even material you wouldnt think will sell like your Howard the Ducks, and your lame Atlas and Charltons will move.

I would cherry pick to death the saps who sell at 3/$1 of anything with a .30 cover price or less, and any Spidey from any age before the doors open to public.

Well WTTB gcstomp :hi: - but it took you more than 3 years from register to post? Or am I missing something?

I hope to bring my girlfriend along too, and she's kind of cute, so that should help...

Yikes! Don't let her read the "kind of cute" part.

Good luck - you sound like you are on the right track. I suggest taping some of the "better" $1 books on the front of the boxes to draw people to them. You can always put the price signs on the back boxes and elevated so that people see them too.

Isn't this thread kinda like asking the wolves the best way to protect the sheep?

I'm not sure that the advice of collectors who are in search of the best deal is the best advice for someone trying to sell comics. Unless you are truly trying to unload them.

I will say that bundling complete sets is not the best idea. It is my experience that folks who are looking for those sets already have some of the issues, so you are forced to price VERY cheap to make them attractive. Why not sell them individually. You can still get a buck a book or whatever for each individual book you sell. And at that price you will more than likely sell all of them.

And now I get to use this... 2c

This is an interesting angle.

What sells better, story arcs and sets, or single issues? I'd think you'd get more money upfront (even with a discount) on the set since you're bundling wanted issues with others that may not ever sell.

I've personally been loathe to break up my sets when I do have sets since they seem to have more "worth" to the stray collector who wants to read the entire story arc or set. I also see a lot of people with their checklists as well who want individual issues, but they tend to be filling out main series, not comics found in mini-series or limited series.

In most cases though, you're looking at either hoarders, cherry pickers, or completists. Most probably already know what the book is or own copies of it already. If I lay out individual stacks of Secret Wars #1 through 12... The #1s, #8s, and #12s will probably be purchased in higher quantities than the other issues.

I enjoy selling sets, as long as priced well. If so, they appeal to the TPB crowd who wants a self-contained story at a reasonable price, AND as pointed out, prevents cherry-picking the "key" books in sets. That way, you can sell the sets on Ebay, if they did not sell at the show. Incomplete sets often sell for a lot LESS than the full sets on Ebay...

and I hate boxes on the floor...

That's a catch-22 for me.

I usually put the bulk of my cheapie bins under my tables, because the revenue they generate isn't to justify table top space at the more expensive events. Any income they do generate is a bonus for me and is usually expected to cover my expenses, while the better stuff up top is the money maker.

But, lots of people will NOT get down on their hands and knees to dig, so they would likely generate more revenue if they were ALL on the tables, but I still don't think it would be worth it at the expensive shows.

However, those who do get down and dirty to dig often come away with some pleasant finds (ie) FF #50 (coverless), X-MEN #248, ALPHA FLIGHT #1, SPEC. SPIDER-MAN #1 (GD-), BATMAN #404-407, and so on.

Don't be surprised if you make most of your sales before the show even starts. Dealers will see you as fresh meat.

Most of all have fun!!!!!!

And DO NOT make them deals above and beyond your established deals at the beginning of the day!!!! Consider it near the END of the con after you ahve sold the better stuff at your price. At that point you can "dump" the rest to a willing dealer.

I know - when I started the dealers swarmed my tables for the first few shows trying to get the best for nothing. You have no idea how many wanted discounts on my HULK #181 copies. *sheesh*

3/$1 basically wins my money every time... unless I see 4/$1 but that's usually not til the end.

Personally, I would stay away from this approach. Just my 2c.

As we all know, there will be people looking for a "deal" even if the books are priced at 3/$1! So start at your $1 price and stick yo your discount arrangement as mentioned. If the stuff is half decent, it WILL move.

Well, as a SELLER, I'd also steer clear of that approach, but he asked "if you were at a Con, what would make you stop and look at my stuff?" You want to catch my eye on filler issues, make me an offer like that. Whenever I go to one of the local shows, I always do a lap around the building to see who is offering what for how much first, THEN I'll hit the best deals first.

You won't make a killing on your fillers, but you will move inventory quickly.

Younger collectors (12 and under) appriciate 4 or 5 for $1 boxes. This is especially true when they are buying for siblings who want a particular character's appearance regardless of title. Good for off brands such as Marvel Fanfare; Official Directory; Who's Who; Marvel Fun and Games and cheaper reprint comics.

I don't do much selling but I can't see selling any comic for twenty or twenty-five cents... I'd rather donate the books... just not worth the effort of constantly dragging those books around. [And you'll realize more than twenty cents a book in tax savings].

I don't do much selling but I can't see selling any comic for twenty or twenty-five cents... I'd rather donate the books... just not worth the effort of constantly dragging those books around. [And you'll realize more than twenty cents a book in tax savings].

Point taken - but it sure is nice to have stuff for the pre-teen and tween kids. Sometimes I carry around a box of very low grade bronze/copper and give the books away to kids who buy from me. (The funny part of this is how often the adults who buy from me ask for stuff from the box, too... :) I make them pay.... :grin:)

Aw c'mon! There are some good stuff that us "older kids" like to pick up in the cheap boxes! I buy all my personal nostalgia reading from there. Picked up a really nice run of Excalibur vol. 1 for around...$5. Can't beat nice reading material for that price.

I will refrain from here on out from giving advice as a buyer (despite being asked for a buyer's POV). ;)

All fantastic. :) Thanks again everybody who said anything at all...

I sent my check over today for a single 6' table for $90. (it was $160 for 2... while that would be nice, I can't see the additional space helping me out that much based on what I have to sell) I think I can fit most of the boxes on top and, perhaps, keep a couple in the back to help fill out the boxes as they (hopefully) empty out throughout the day.

I definitely don't plan to dumb everything (or, probably, anything) prior to doors opening... the whole point is that I think it would be fun to do this... losing all my stuff before the show starts just isn't gonna help that at all...

While I plan on having most of the stuff setup as dollar boxes, I'm also culling my Valiant collection and dropping most everything post-Unity... those were going to go in $0.50 boxes... and maybe someone will pick them up and start liking Valiant. :) I'm sure I can find some beat up stuff to toss in the extreme cheap boxes for the kiddies or... whoever.

Three other specific questions...

Has anyone ever built their own back display? Or whatever you call the thing where you put your pretty books behind the table? Any suggestions for that?

and I'm thinking about bringing my laptop and setting it up so that people can pay me via paypal since I won't have any way to accept credit cards. Has anyone attempted anything like this and have any advice? (either from a seller's or buyer's POV)

Long Boxes vs. Short... a few years ago I changed all my collection over to short boxes, but I find that I - personally - would rather dig through long boxes at a con than short boxes that are sitting front-to-back. Opinions?

(oh, and I really like the nice-book-on-the-front-of-the-box thing... I went and bought some velcro stuff with which I can do that just yesterday. :))

We talk about Display Racks here in this thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1648873/site_id/1#import

The Beyonder is also designing a custom modular one which is pretty interesting.

Cheapest would run you about $50 I guess if you build your own.

I own a couple of different display racks and they have their uses (depending on whether you're showing CGC books or not.)

Also.. the nice book on the front isn't really a draw for me. What catches my eye are signs on the front that may say stuff like

"NEW COLLECTION - 50% off" :grin:

HIGH GRADE BRONZE AGE

HIGH GRADE SILVER AGE

50% OFF

25% OFF

SUNDAY SALE - additional 25% off, etc.

MODERNS - $1

etc.

I have to agree that it's a lot of work to try to make any money like this. I have a lot of stock yet most local shows are only worth doing if I gain contacts out of it. The pure $$ at the show don't really add up. So I'm saying, if you happen to meet one or two collectors who might come buy $100 on your own time, that would be worth it. Otherwise, I'd really recommend eBay if they are all lined up in sets.

I have to agree with not breaking up sets either. One guy buys one comic out of a 12-issue maxi and you've essentially ruined that set.

One bright side is that these little one-day shows are full of dollar box hunters, way more than people looking for the $5 to $40 books. So you'll keep busy and maybe exceed your targets.

Marc

Bringing a cute girlfriend can be good and bad. It does draw the nerdery to your table but the key is whether or not they are buying or just gawking.

When i did Heroes Con this year 6 different guys came up and asked for a picture with my girlfriend while i was away. 6!!!!(She was NOT in any costume) Not one of these goons asked while i was there. It's like they were waiting for me to go to the bathroom to strike.

Obviously being the ultimate super cool bad-azz that i am i was not mad at these poor schlubs but i did have to tell a few guys to gawk from across the aisle since they were taking up booth space. The capper was when Jason Pearson(Body Bags) made sure to wait till i was outside loading up to hit on her and try to talk her into modeling for his artwork. If anyone knows Pearson's artwork they know that there is probably not a real use for any figure models considering how cartoony his artwork is. What a sleezepop. He's really the only one that was annoying since we have met several times, and he made sure to stop by when i was going to be gone for a while.

To sum up with some advice: Some of these guys don't see live girls very often. If you have a pretty girl with you and she is friendly they are going to want to stick around for a while. Don't be rude, but let them know that if they are blocking your boxes for an hour that they are going to hurt your sales.

If they are Jason Pearson, punch him in the stomach and tell him that was for me.

Bringing a cute girlfriend can be good and bad. It does draw the nerdery to your table but the key is whether or not they are buying or just gawking.

When i did Heroes Con this year 6 different guys came up and asked for a picture with my girlfriend while i was away. 6!!!!(She was NOT in any costume) Not one of these goons asked while i was there. It's like they were waiting for me to go to the bathroom to strike.

Obviously being the ultimate super cool bad-azz that i am i was not mad at these poor schlubs but i did have to tell a few guys to gawk from across the aisle since they were taking up booth space. The capper was when Jason Pearson(Body Bags) made sure to wait till i was outside loading up to hit on her and try to talk her into modeling for his artwork. If anyone knows Pearson's artwork they know that there is probably not a real use for any figure models considering how cartoony his artwork is. What a sleezepop. He's really the only one that was annoying since we have met several times, and he made sure to stop by when i was going to be gone for a while.

To sum up with some advice: Some of these guys don't see live girls very often. If you have a pretty girl with you and she is friendly they are going to want to stick around for a while. Don't be rude, but let them know that if they are blocking your boxes for an hour that they are going to hurt your sales.

If they are Jason Pearson, punch him in the stomach and tell him that was for me.

so you're saying i shouldn't have given her number to Jason, then. my bad dude

I'm sure your GF got a kick out of it, didn't she? That's what's important! (thumbs up

if you had seen the people asking for pics, i don't think "kick" is the right four letter word ending in "ick" that is most appropos

We talk about Display Racks here in this thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1648873/site_id/1#import

The Beyonder is also designing a custom modular one which is pretty interesting.

Cheapest would run you about $50 I guess if you build your own.

I own a couple of different display racks and they have their uses (depending on whether you're showing CGC books or not.)

Also.. the nice book on the front isn't really a draw for me. What catches my eye are signs on the front that may say stuff like

"NEW COLLECTION - 50% off" :grin:

HIGH GRADE BRONZE AGE

HIGH GRADE SILVER AGE

50% OFF

25% OFF

SUNDAY SALE - additional 25% off, etc.

MODERNS - $1

etc.

Thank you!

I read that thread, went to Home Depot, and built it... (sorry for the cross post in the other thread... I'm kind of proud I pulled it off tho :))

41419-ComicStand.JPG.7d16fb59fee438bab156bea5451b93ca.JPG