• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lost in the mail

83 posts in this topic

I go a step beyond that.

In my auctions I state that "Insured shipping is $x.xx and NOT NEGOTIABLE."

I don't leave an option.

I usually end up paying more for the shipping than I actually charged, but I always have my ayus covered with insurance.

I washed my wallet on accidentabout 3 weeks ago(I tend to have a George Costanza wallet - where I put all my receipts)

I totally don't understand how I am accused of something and I have to prove MY innocence.

This is a great way to get free [!@#%^&^], though - just say you never got it - they won't even question you.

Yeah I think ubiquiti is up the creek however, since it seems he has fallen into ebay's automated solution of responding to a buyer's claim of seller fraud. HE is found guilty until proven innocent and the burden is his. Unfortunate and unfair, yet true.

As for just the receipt as proof - the receipt has several bits of info that can be extrapolated to provide more weight to ubiquiti's side. The amount in tandem with the zip code can tell you the relative weight of the package. The date on the receipt will corroborate relative time auction won and paid for(which ubiquiti has the ebay and paypal records as well) and consequently shipped. Ubiquiti has the buyer's address - you can even call the post master of the buyer and explain the situation and see if the delivery person can verify if anything similar to ubiquiti's package was delivered to the buyer's address on a particular date.

Yeah - now i know better...

I really don't sell that much, so I (Stupidly so) figured odds were on my side that nothing bad would happen.

Now I know better. I will make sure I keep all receipts and just insure everything.

What does suck, though is that the buyer and I discussed this at length, and I don't understand why eBay would question an upstanding member of their selling/buying community's motives in just one instance.

They should have a no-fault option where they just pay the claim - if it happens more than once in say 6 months or so, then really look into it.

Stuff like this doesn't have to be anyone's fault.

sign-offtopic.gif Stuart - remember that insurance claim we initiated for that DD 132 and 133 30 cent variant - I recall you telling me that it came back to you, just a piece of the envelope. I filled out the paperwork a ways back and haven't heard form them yet...I just thought it was pretty funny..we are coming up on exactly 6 months tomorrow...that's usually their timeframe for resolution on these claims frown.gif

How come you don't have your post office receipt which shows date shipped, cost and zip code where item sent? That should be proof enough that the item was shipped, even without DC or insurance.

Which delivery services do they give you a receipt for with the zip code where the item was sent? Media, Priority, or just Priority with confirmation and/or insurance?

That's what I was wondering a few posts back?...

... Would eBay accept that in this situation since the full address is not shown? I'm doubtful. Has anyone ever encountered the same situation but won because they had the receipt proving the item was shipped to that zipcode and email, etc. proving the buyer did not want insurance?

I doubt it.

Here's E-Bay's tips for sellers on how to protect themselves:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/index_popup.html?confidence=know-buyer-tips.html

They say to ship with tracking numbers and insurance to protect yourself from buyers who say they never got something. If the buyer opts out of insurance, how do you still get a tracking number--delivery confirmation?

Do you think E-Bay would take just the zip code shipped to as evidence? There's always the possibility that the item was shipped to somebody ELSE in the same zip code! shocked.gif

Been on ebay since 1999 and I have NOT ONCE sold to more than one buyer in the same ZIPCODE...much less in the same time period on top of that

One can argue that the ZIP CODE in conjunction with the time sent narrows it down to that buyer specifically. Your sales records/emails/ebay records could be used to prove that you did not have a winner of any concurrent items sold located around the neighborhood of the first buyer.

...but a private sale could have been sent and not show up on records. I'm doubting a zip would be enough.

Couldn't that be an opening for a scammer if they accept just the zip?...

ScammerSeller sends a box with something worthless that weighs about what the real item should, so the package would cost what it should (and looks right on the receipt). He sends item to a random address in the same zip as proof of sending a fictitious $300 book. Buyer says he never got it... ScammerSeller says "I sent it, here's the receipt with that zipcode... buyer is screwed?

BTW... the Shuley's and Gman might be in the same zip 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...but a private sale could have been sent and not show up on records. I'm doubting a zip would be enough.

Then this is a moot point and falls out of the realm of discussion: ebay sales.

Private sales are not covered by eBay.

But in the case you mentioned, you still have the carrier's word to back up or refute any evidence as to a delivery from particular seller to the buyer's address on time period after date on receipt. But it may not be enough proof for the USPS or eBay - just something to get you closer to the PROFF that you DO need...

Then this is a moot point and falls out of the realm of discussion: ebay sales.

Private sales are not covered by eBay.

True... What the heck was I thinking there? I need coffee 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But in the case you mentioned, you still have the carrier's word to back up or refute any evidence as to a delivery from particular seller to the buyer's address on time period after date on receipt. But it may not be enough proof for the USPS or eBay - just something to get you closer to the PROFF that you DO need...

It sounds like it could work unfortunately, especially if a little time has passed. The carrier may not be clear... and as you say his word may not be enough.

True... What the heck was I thinking there? I need coffee 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Perhaps you were thinking that a seller can't prove that he didn't have one E-Bay transaction to a zip and also one or more private deals to the same zip. A receipt with a zip wouldn't hold up in a court of law, and I doubt E-Bay's fraud people would accept it either.

Sounds to me like tracking numbers are the only way to be sure...although I've never used them, could E-Bay look up the address you mailed a package to with a tracking number?

How come you don't have your post office receipt which shows date shipped, cost and zip code where item sent? That should be proof enough that the item was shipped, even without DC or insurance.

Which delivery services do they give you a receipt for with the zip code where the item was sent? Media, Priority, or just Priority with confirmation and/or insurance?

One thing my local PO does if you don't watch is charge for flat rate envelopes at $3.85 without inputting the specific zip code (since it's the same for all zips in the flat rate env I guess). I just tell the clerk to make sure they enter each $3.85 charge in separately with the zip so I can use it later if I need to.