• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lost in the mail

83 posts in this topic

Okay - so I sold a marvel Team Up #1 on ebat a few weeks back.

I shipped it out the morning of Saturday, August 23.

I got an email today from the guy that bought it from me asking if I had shipped it out yet - and he lives in Phoenix! I knew when I was packing it, I should have just met the guy somewhere and given it to him...

He did not insure the book.

So what happens? I feel bad if he really didn't get the book, but I don't think I should have to refund the money if it was lost in the mail.

The book cost $117.50 - if the guy didn't ask for insurance, that's not my fault.

Anyways - how have some of you dealt with this issue? It's kinda stressing me out.

Funny you should say this....I mailed a package from Boston to Milwaukee and on the same day as yours...and mine is lost...I didn't insure it, and I figured it would be okay. So I did do delivery confirmation. But, I KNOW for a fact that the guy is honest and a forum member who has bought and sold some impressive books...And it's a 300 dollar book....so if it's lost, I am SOL !! - -My problem, not his....I feel your pain , Dude.....

Okay - so I sold a marvel Team Up #1 on ebat a few weeks back.

I shipped it out the morning of Saturday, August 23.

I got an email today from the guy that bought it from me asking if I had shipped it out yet - and he lives in Phoenix! I knew when I was packing it, I should have just met the guy somewhere and given it to him...

He did not insure the book.

So what happens? I feel bad if he really didn't get the book, but I don't think I should have to refund the money if it was lost in the mail.

The book cost $117.50 - if the guy didn't ask for insurance, that's not my fault.

Anyways - how have some of you dealt with this issue? It's kinda stressing me out.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tell him "Tuff Titty". blush.gif

Seriously, if he didn't pay for insurance, you can't be held responsible.

This is exactly the reason I never give the "option" for insurance anymore.

I always state up front that it has to be paid and figure it into the shipping price.

I don't know what the answer is.

Having purchased a book from you, I couldn't be more pleased with your speed and care in shipping.

So, it's not your fault.

Maybe I should have you write the guy a letter!

smile.gif

I do feel bad, and I have no reason to believe the guy is not being truthful..But being the distrusting guy I am, there is always going to be that small lingering doubt.

I can't afford to carte-blanche refund him his money...SO I guess I'll just talk to him on the phone and feel him out.

he did pay via paypal...

Oh crikey! 893whatthe.gif

So he can just tell paypal I screwed him, and they'll just TAKE the money from me, huh?

Great!

I think there are a few threads about this type of situation.

I could be wrong, but if he complains to Paypal, they can essentially *take* the money from your linking bank account and/or tie up your account so you can't deposit or withdraw out of it.

Again, I could be wrong. Let the others that know for a fact explain it better.

Paypal will not take money from you unless there is money in your account, if he does make a claim and you have money in there paypal will take it. You have to prove he got it with delivery confirmation I believe.

In my paypal account or checking account?

Yep...from now on - ALL cgc books carry mandatory insurance, no matter what.

All this and the little beeotch that overpayed for my Conan 1 is gonna stigg me like I though - 10 days and no $.

Where's than damn cat???

I'm gonna practice being John Hall and kick him over the fence.

Paypal will not take money from you unless there is money in your account, if he does make a claim and you have money in there paypal will take it. You have to prove he got it with delivery confirmation I believe.

Too late now, but electronic delivery confirmation with Priority Mail is free, and for media mail (not that anyone ever ships comics by media mail smirk.gif) electronic delivery confirmation is only 13 cents. No reason not to always ship with delivery confirmation.

Keep your fingers crossed - packages have been known to disappear into the post office black hole for a week (or more) and then mysteriously show up again.....

In my paypal account or checking account?

Yep...from now on - ALL cgc books carry mandatory insurance, no matter what.

All this and the little beeotch that overpayed for my Conan 1 is gonna stigg me like I though - 10 days and no $.

Where's than damn cat???

I'm gonna practice being John Hall and kick him over the fence.

27_laughing.gif

ALWAYS use delivery confirmation if you were paid through Paypal, that way they can't use the Paypal charge back. As for your problem, if he was given the choice of insurance and declined I don't see why you should refund him any money at all. You mailed the book, the post office lost it and he didn't insure I don't see how that's your problem to take care of. You may end up with a neg over it though.

Always insure comics you are sending over say $50, and always send with delivery notification. This way, you're covered, and it really doesn't cost that much. In fact, you can simply state on all your auctions that the buyer must pay for insurance. I haven't sold too many items, but this is how I handled my auctions. Never a complaint or missing package. At a minimum, if the buyer absolutely doesn't want to pay for insurance, either insure it on your own diem or get an email stating they won't hold you liable if the pacage doesn't arrive.

Mike