• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

Hello, I have not posted on these boards in awhile, but I wanted to take a moment to appreciate that when the latest Clink auction ends, my favorite comic book will have a new owner. It's the one on the right. While it's the same grade and white page quality as the Twin Cities Pedigree, and neither one has been pressed, this particular copy is (slightly) brighter.

IMG_0575.jpg

I will miss it. I tried to acquire one of the 9.4 copies of JIM 85 last year, too, but came up short. For now, all I can afford to pay is attention ;)

The work that you have done over years (even decades) to maintain and grow your comic collections astounds me, and while it's probably not said often enough, I hope you keep up the great work for future collectors and admirers.

Michael

Great books but just curious how do you know for sure that the TC copy hasn't been pressed. I would have almost guaranteed that they all went through the press prior to being auctioned off.

Hello, I have not posted on these boards in awhile, but I wanted to take a moment to appreciate that when the latest Clink auction ends, my favorite comic book will have a new owner. It's the one on the right. While it's the same grade and white page quality as the Twin Cities Pedigree, and neither one has been pressed, this particular copy is (slightly) brighter.

IMG_0575.jpg

I will miss it. I tried to acquire one of the 9.4 copies of JIM 85 last year, too, but came up short. For now, all I can afford to pay is attention ;)

The work that you have done over years (even decades) to maintain and grow your comic collections astounds me, and while it's probably not said often enough, I hope you keep up the great work for future collectors and admirers.

Michael

Great books but just curious how do you know for sure that the TC copy hasn't been pressed. I would have almost guaranteed that they all went through the press prior to being auctioned off.

Heritage often lists books without pressing....that's why so many of their lots turn up later as higher grades......it's up to the consignor and many of them don't want to wait or gamble with an additional expense. I've pressed several Heritage books with positive results....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Two new Megacon purchases from the great Greg Reece!

My first Pacific Coast in my price range!

7B6F2BAE-64A0-455B-A5EC-67C499A520F3-5325-0000025E48A8D62C_zps1dc7d375.jpg

Congrats Marc! That 90 belonged to me a few months ago and was part of my complete run. Glad it made it's way to you!

That's too cool! I should have known you would have once owned that copy. It's a sweet 7.0 PC.

I'm glad I went to Greg's booth before I left on Sat night. It was getting close to closing and he had just taken in some books on trade and the JIM 90 PC was one of them. I saw it and was.... :o This wasn't here yesterday!

Grabbed it!

I was at WonderCon (Anaheim) over the weekend and was somewhat taken aback by how many lower grade JIM 84's were available, but only a single mid-or-higher grade (CGC 7.5) was to be seen.

I was at WonderCon (Anaheim) over the weekend and was somewhat taken aback by how many lower grade JIM 84's were available, but only a single mid-or-higher grade (CGC 7.5) was to be seen.

I have never seen a decent grade #84 here in the UK, my own copy is the worst copy in my run hm

Plenty of low-grade 84s, however, once you cross over the 7.0 threshold, it becomes much, much harder. It isn't the scarcest JIM over 7.0, though it's close. It is however, the scarcest JIM over 9.0...

Interesting (thnx) - what would be considered the scarcest Thor JIM over 7.0?

I spent a good portion of the convention looking hard for - and at - these early JIM Thor books, so for what it's worth here's my personal observations:

JIM 83 - compared to other Marvel keys (FF 1, ASM 1, AF 15, etc.) this issue was the least represented. The Golden Record reprint was much more plentiful, of course.

JIM 84 - common in 3.0 to 4.0 (both raw and CGC), only one CGC 7.5 copy to be found.

JIM 85 - only a few scattered copies, including CGC 7.0 and CGC 8.0 each priced well above Guide. I got lucky and found a super bright and white raw mid-grade that wasn't even on display (i.e., I had to ask).

JIM 86 - also only a few scattered copies, several feedback comments that this issue is a favorite.

JIM 87 - only a couple of copies with grades varying.

JIM 88 - I only saw only two lower grade copies, that's it.

JIM 89 - next to the JIM 84, this was the most seen issue with the majority of copies being in the 4.5 to 5.5 range. All were priced at multiples of Guide, with more feedback that this issue is also a favorite.

I have just sent some books in to get graded, really wanted to get my #83 done but Im 99.999% sure it would come back a PLOD as I believe it to be trimmed :(

I would just rather keep it and kid myself, than face the truth, as I have had this book a long, long time.

Thor.jpg

JourneyintoMystery83.jpg