• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Sale Prices versus CGC

184 posts in this topic

I basically collect low grade older comics...OK, I ONLY really collect low grade older comics...and although I have a stack of...one of these days I might have these CGC'd books, I have not sent one in as of yet...However, I do buy graded books on the secondary market...usually if they are bargains...but I have quite a few...and a while ago, I stopped buying PGX, for the most part, the Logo's turned me off, I thought they were cheap looking...However, since I started using this board...I've stopped bidding on PBX graded books...I'm not saying I never will, sometimes bargains just happen...;) But I am grateful for the people who provide this board, I like using it, and I enjoy it...so, I feel that I owe CGC some kind of loyalty in that respect.

If I have books graded, or when I do, there is no question that CGC would be the service I would use...since I buy books in horrid- condition to begin with, personally, I don't really NEED to have them graded, I already know how bad (or wonderful:) they are...but the stack I have, are ones that might have accidently found their way into my collection in a higher grade, or might be a little more expensive...and at some point I might want to sell them...and I think CGC just has a reputation, ...that PGX does not have..so, I wouldn't waste my money, trying to save a few $$ with a lesser thought of company. Kind of like penny wise, pound foolish, to me...Reminds me of when I was a kid and my Mom said I could have 2 nice things from Bloomingdales, or 5 things from Alexanders...and for those of you, not from NY...Alexanders, was few steps above KMart.

Competition, is a great idea, but I agree, I won't buy the lower rated car, if I can manage to afford a better one...it doesn't have to be the BEST...but I want the best I can afford.

Competition is always good both for the customers and the businesses involved. Keeps the company wanting to move in a positive direction, be more innovative, wanting to improve, etc. as for the customers helps keep prices in check and quality up.

Yes but that doesn't mean one should blindly support PGX. They have a serious image problem and refuse to deal with it. Their restoration checks pretty much suck, no one really knows how many, if any, people work for them, no one has seen "the facility" etc.

Would you drive an unsafe car just to keep the competition in business?

Cod.

I dont think anyone is blindly endorcing pgx.They have problems no doubt.The biggest one is the company they keep.As CG stated pgx is a company.at this time,to use for your lower grade books.Would I have my HG spideys slabbee throught them?no.But my g/vg maybe at some time in the future.

Competition is always good both for the customers and the businesses involved. Keeps the company wanting to move in a positive direction, be more innovative, wanting to improve, etc. as for the customers helps keep prices in check and quality up.

Yes but that doesn't mean one should blindly support PGX. They have a serious image problem and refuse to deal with it. Their restoration checks pretty much suck, no one really knows how many, if any, people work for them, no one has seen "the facility" etc.

Cod.

I dont think anyone is blindly endorcing pgx.They have problems no doubt.The biggest one is the company they keep.As CG stated pgx is a company.at this time,to use for your lower grade books.Would I have my HG spideys slabbee throught them?no.But my g/vg maybe at some time in the future.

This makes no sense to me. If you would not slab your HG stuff with them, why would you bother to throw them your low grade stuff? For the most part the only low grade stuff worth slabbing are GA books that still retain value, or key books from any era. And since they(PGX) have a track record for not detecting restoration I do not see the difference between having them slab a HG ASM #1, or a Fair ASM #1, it's all suspect imho.

It comes down to this, Daniel is either inept or a crook, take your pick. And his refusal to go public is his own undoing plain and simple.

Ze-

Cod.

This makes no sense to me. If you would not slab your HG stuff with them, why would you bother to throw them your low grade stuff? For the most part the only low grade stuff worth slabbing are GA books that still retain value, or key books from any era. And since they(PGX) have a track record for not detecting restoration I do not see the difference between having them slab a HG ASM #1, or a Fair ASM #1, it's all suspect imho.

It comes down to this, Daniel is either inept or a crook, take your pick. And his refusal to go public is his own undoing plain and simple.

Ze-

Kenny,

Most all of my silver age collection came from a single owner.Im not worried about resto.I know there is none.And as I said maybe I would do so in the future,not now.You know how i feel about certain situations at pgx.Hopefully he will wake up before it is too late.

As far as not slabbing my Hg spideys in the current markrt cgc rules.plain and simple.

You keep calling me by my first name , yet you have not told me yours. This makes for very short conversations as far as I am concerned.

If I missed the thread where you willingly came forward and were ready to talk openly about issues that you yourself brought up then I am sorry I missed it, I have been busy.

Ze-

Understood, but in a way, it was a serious response.

The fact is that you cannot in any way trust a book in a PGX slab. Under any circumstances. Ever.

They do not have a restoration check of any reliability...if they have one at all. You can never be too sure that the book in your hand didn't come from the Eugene 'cartel', and therefore could have been manipulated, bumped in grade, etc, etc

And if you're submitting to PGX, you are risking your money every time you slap down your credit card. The organisation is tiny and could at any point collapse, thus risking your slabbing fees, and the value of anything you have in a PGX case.

For all of these reasons, there simply isn't a valid comparison to be made. One is an international, professional, reputable organisation...the other is a one-man band selling dodgy goods from a market stall.

A eugene cartel?That is being paranoid.

Says one of the cofounding members of the Eugene cartel.

By the way, Dennis...why don't you try taking your agenda and sticking it up your wazoo? How'd that be?

You keep calling me by my first name , yet you have not told me yours. This makes for very short conversations as far as I am concerned.

If I missed the thread where you willingly came forward and were ready to talk openly about issues that you yourself brought up then I am sorry I missed it, I have been busy.

Ze-

Ze...he's never mentioned who he is...but his name is Dennis Hooker. When he's been called out as being either Daniel, Terrance, or Dennis, he's specifically denied being Daniel or Terrance, while conveniently ignoring the questions about being Dennis.

He's just one more nutcase with an agenda who's hoping and praying that he can get someone...anyone...to listen to his nonsense. :screwy:

Ze-

Ze...he's never mentioned who he is...but his name is Dennis Hooker. When he's been called out as being either Daniel, Terrance, or Dennis, he's specifically denied being Daniel or Terrance, while conveniently ignoring the questions about being Dennis.

He's just one more nutcase with an agenda who's hoping and praying that he can get someone...anyone...to listen to his nonsense. :screwy:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Yeah, shadow, explain again how an ISP is 'like a zip code' and isn't firmly attached to the one computer. Explain again how you are in no way connected to Terence/Ryan/Dennis, although you're using his/their computer. Please drag out one of your explainations again...you know, the ones that constantly change dependent upon the day of the week and the socks that you're wearing. Explain again how you know the 'inner workings' of PGX, and what made you want to blow the whistle.

Oh, and whilst you're on a 'truth kick', why not confirm your real name, huh?

Or are you still scared that the Eugene cartel will then order Tony the Fish to 'take you out'? lol lol lol

I thoght we already covered the inner workings of PGX?

You make it sound like there is one little man sitting in a back room working a slabbing machine with foot pedals humming "Whistle While You Work" as he cranks out comic books.

:o :o :o

You're the first person I know of who has actually visited the PGX 'offices'!

I thoght we already covered the inner workings of PGX?

You make it sound like there is one little man sitting in a back room working a slabbing machine with foot pedals humming "Whistle While You Work" as he cranks out comic books.

:o :o :o

You're the first person I know of who has actually visited the PGX 'offices'!

doh!

Sorry. You're of course correct. :grin:

Ze-

Yeah, shadow, explain again how an ISP is 'like a zip code' and isn't firmly attached to the one computer. Explain again how you are in no way connected to Terence/Ryan/Dennis, although you're using his/their computer. Please drag out one of your explainations again...you know, the ones that constantly change dependent upon the day of the week and the socks that you're wearing. Explain again how you know the 'inner workings' of PGX, and what made you want to blow the whistle.

Or are you still scared that the Eugene cartel will then order Tony the Fish to 'take you out'? lol lol lol

Ft,

Im just tired.Tired of all the bs.I came on here to help people out.You dont want to hear me ?Fine.I can go back to what I really love to talk about.Comics.

Does anyone here agree that competition is good for the consumer as well as the marketplace? And that it stands to reason that this would apply to third party grading services.

I agree 100%.

CGC will make more $ ( :wishluck:) when there is a legitimate certification service out there. People hate when they do not have choices. It will also lend more credibility to certification, look at other hobbies, the more QUALIFIED certification companies, the more their hobby expands and draws in more new blood. Consumer happiness and confidence is what helps make a hobby fun as well as profitable.

But......you just can't put a book in plastic and say "Look it's pretty, I will take it", there needs to be experts backing up what is in the holder.

In any industry competition is needed.If pgx folded its tent tomorrow people might think(wrongly)that wow it really isnt worth it to get my books graded.

When you say "people", who are you talking about?

Does anyone here agree that competition is good for the consumer as well as the marketplace? And that it stands to reason that this would apply to third party grading services.

I agree 100%.

CGC will make more $ ( :wishluck:) when there is a legitimate certification service out there. People hate when they do not have choices. It will also lend more credibility to certification, look at other hobbies, the more QUALIFIED certification companies, the more their hobby expands and draws in more new blood. Consumer happiness and confidence is what helps make a hobby fun as well as profitable.

But......you just can't put a book in plastic and say "Look it's pretty, I will take it", there needs to be experts backing up what is in the holder.

In any industry competition is needed.If pgx folded its tent tomorrow people might think(wrongly)that wow it really isnt worth it to get my books graded.

Well, if PGX folded its tent....the Eugene posse, for starters. :P

I agree 100%.

OG,

It is a generalization about fringe slabbers.If they see a company fold they think the worst.It is all perception in the slabbing business.If people dont see value in slabbing then they wont.

I agree 100%.

Well, if PGX folded its tent....the Eugene posse, for starters. :P

FT,

Your act is getting stale.From now on I will just ignore your sad sad rant.But hey feel free to run it in the ground.Land of the free and home of the brave and all.

Ze-

Ft,

Im just tired.Tired of all the bs.I came on here to help people out.You dont want to hear me ?Fine.I can go back to what I really love to talk about.Comics.

If you're tired of all the bs, then why do you keep typing it?

And if you really want to do something, you could always take your lame agenda and crawl back under your rock, Dennis. (thumbs u