• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Sale Prices versus CGC

184 posts in this topic

Competition is always good both for the customers and the businesses involved. Keeps the company wanting to move in a positive direction, be more innovative, wanting to improve, etc. as for the customers helps keep prices in check and quality up.

Does anyone here agree that competition is good for the consumer as well as the marketplace? And that it stands to reason that this would apply to third party grading services.

I agree 100%.

CGC will make more $ ( :wishluck:) when there is a legitimate certification service out there. People hate when they do not have choices. It will also lend more credibility to certification, look at other hobbies, the more QUALIFIED certification companies, the more their hobby expands and draws in more new blood. Consumer happiness and confidence is what helps make a hobby fun as well as profitable.

But......you just can't put a book in plastic and say "Look it's pretty, I will take it", there needs to be experts backing up what is in the holder.

Does anyone here agree that competition is good for the consumer as well as the marketplace? And that it stands to reason that this would apply to third party grading services.

I agree 100%.

CGC will make more $ ( :wishluck:) when there is a legitimate certification service out there. People hate when they do not have choices. It will also lend more credibility to certification, look at other hobbies, the more QUALIFIED certification companies, the more their hobby expands and draws in more new blood. Consumer happiness and confidence is what helps make a hobby fun as well as profitable.

But......you just can't put a book in plastic and say "Look it's pretty, I will take it", there needs to be experts backing up what is in the holder.

:hi: Steve:

I'll try to send you guys some books to grade next week! :grin:

There are a few books from me heading your way be sure to make them all 9.6s or higher :wishluck:lol

I actually won my first slabbed PGX book can't wait to reslab it when I get it in. :grin:

Yes, competition is good for all involved, the consumer, the grading company and the hobby in general. Where would the registry sets be without competition? What would be the fun of having a 9. this or an 8. that if there wasn't any type of scale to judge it against. If you have more than one third party grading company, then ideally, each one would strive to put their best foot forward while conducting business in a sound and ethical fashion. However, in the market place today, we are not able to compare like companies to like companies since we currently do not have participants that are on par with each other. So, how can you really compare company A, B or C when you are not dealing with the same set of circumstances on each side. Maybe there is a void in the market place that needs to be filled, maybe not. I guess it depends on which side of the fence you are sitting.

Absolutely. I want to see competition here. I'm not sure if the hobby can keep two companies of the same caliber stable, though. You could even argue that PGX is marketing to different clientèle.

Unfortunately, PGX doesn't have what it takes to be a formidable contender. It's like Minor Leagues and the Major Leagues. CGC is in a league all of its own.

Hi CycleGirl:

Your statement directly reflects what others have realized: books valued at < $200 range there is probably a distinct advantage in getting those certified at PGX...cheaper cost to certify, limited risk (not super high grade/cost collectibles) and faster turnaround.

For truly rare/high cost collectibles, you have to go with CGC because of the insurance, expertise, and high buyer confidence that the brand instills.

Each has its advantages/disadvantages...if I had to choose one...it would be CGC. I'm not bashing PGX...I simply think they are ill equipped to deal with the big picture.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, PGX doesn't have what it takes to be a formidable contender. It's like Minor Leagues and the Major Leagues. CGC is in a league all of its own.

Not only are they not formidable they are giving the industry a bad name by doing (at minimum) sloppy grading/restoration detection and by being so secretive about who they are. So, in this case, "competition" is bad for everyone except for PGX who is making money off of the goodwill and business that CGC has built.

I agree 100%.

In any industry competition is needed.If pgx folded its tent tomorrow people might think(wrongly)that wow it really isnt worth it to get my books graded.

100% agree with this.

Unfortunately, I've got zero confidence that PGX is what we want.

It's often said that a team is only as good as its opposition and currently, CGC doesn't truly have one. I've been one of the first to whine about certain things that CGC have sent down the pike at us, usually because I want to see them up their game and become what they could be.

At the moment, there's no vital motivation to do so...other than to get me to STFU. :P

It seems that whenever the subject of PGX comes up, that the conversation becomes antagonistic. For that reason, I haven't joined-in even though I have some experience. I decided to start a new thread hoping to discuss the pros/cons of PGX/CGC in a data-driven manner.

<<< snip >>>>

I thought your post was a very intelligent and well thought out analysis. Most everything I read about PGX on the CGC boards I usually disregard because of obvious bias, but your even handed approach was very refreshing as well as informative. Thank's.

Thank you!! :cloud9:

Competition is always good both for the customers and the businesses involved. Keeps the company wanting to move in a positive direction, be more innovative, wanting to improve, etc. as for the customers helps keep prices in check and quality up.

Yes but that doesn't mean one should blindly support PGX. They have a serious image problem and refuse to deal with it. Their restoration checks pretty much suck, no one really knows how many, if any, people work for them, no one has seen "the facility" etc.

Would you drive an unsafe car just to keep the competition in business?