• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone have any comics from the same kid bought from different places?

18 posts in this topic

just had a thought at work tonight how cool it would be to find another book from the same kids origional collection at totally different times.i know lots of GA books have someones named etched in them,maybe a few books met up after decades of being bought and sold.

any thoughts?

I think I just found one on eBay. I sold a low grade Batman #17 a couple of years ago and I think it's being sold again on ebay right now. The book I sold had a crescent-shaped piece out of the right edge of the cover that had been taped back into place a long time ago. The one on ebay appears to be the same issue. It was an easy defect to remember because the cover depicts a bunch of bombers and the missing piece included the tail end of one of the bombers. Sure looks the same to me. And, no the current seller is not the person I sold it to two years ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2190622137&category=35751&rd=1

Mine was complete (but low grade); this one is missing two centerfolds. Could be a transfer of interior pages was done for a nicer copy and this is the leftovers. But I can't be certain because the scan is not clear as to where the tape is on the cover (I think it's middle right edge, right on top of the plane). Interesting.

I've got a couple of early Action Comics (30 and 33) with the name "Billy York"/"William York" written on them. I got both of mine from the same dealer, who had quite a few others with his name on them, but I have seen books pop up on eBay from other dealers with "Billy York" on them. From what I have seen, it looked like little Billy York had quite a collection going back in the day.

I have a whole bunch I bought as a kid in the early 70's with the name John Mapes written at the bottom of the first page........I bought them from a guy who had a coin/comics shop in Floral Park, NY called Woody's...and on top of that since the shop owner was primarily a coin collector and didn't really care about the comics, he stapled a price tag to the front covers of all the books.....so all my old reader silver books have two sets of staple pin-holes at the top center of the books,......So if you live in the north-east and have books with these holes on them, chances are they came from Woody's.

J.D.

I knew i had seen this before and here it is

Above Captain America's head

rad87C42.jpg

I have seen it on a few Golden Age books

Didn't they used to write the initials of people who had reserved a copy on the book?

Danny

Great thread!

`Nochips' mentioned something along these lines at Wizard World Chicago (Con / Forum Dinner report coming very soon! I promise!), but with regard to the Edgar Church books. All of the coded copies Church bought had some number of similarly marked brethren that had to have been purchased by others. It would be a great novelty to find one of these non-Church, but Church-coded books.

He also talked about an original owner collection out of Las Vegas that surfaced whose books had markings nearly identical to the Church ones! "Same handwriting, almost!" he said; yet they were bought new so many years ago in Nevada.

There's just so much out there from the early days of "comic-book-dom" that is still being discovered. Doncha love it?

Alan

Back in the late 70s or early 80s I bought two Jumbo comics from the same dealer, a month apart, that had "B. Silva" written on them in very neat small letters near the top edge. They also have arrival stamps from a newstand in Hawaii. I bought the books in Los Angeles. Mr. Silva took pretty good care of his comics and I'd love to find more someday. Scans later if I have time...

Not quite the same idea, but close:

When I first started collecting comics, in 1974, the first 10-center I ever laid my hands on was a Woody Woodpecker from circa 1955 - purchased at an antique shop in Kent Falls, CT. After convincing my mom to buy it for me - for about $1, I think - and starting to read it on the drive home, I noticed that it had "Knutson" written at the top of the cover. I pointed this out to my mom, whose maiden name was/is Knutson, and she said she thought it was from the sizable collection that she and her siblings amassed as kids - in Eugen OR, 2,500 miles away...

There's a Superman #6 CGC 4.0 on eBay right now with the name "Edwin" written on the top. The last name is there as well, but I can't read it. I have Edwin's Action #43, with the name written in the same place, but not as visible because it's in light pencil. I purchased it from Mark Wilson several years ago. I think it was part of a fairly large collection Mark picked up. Edwin took much better care of the Action than the Supes, it's a CGC 9.0 and probably my favorite book in my collection. So thanks, Edwin.

In the St. Louis area, the name "Bobby Bickel" is well known among long time collectors. He must have bought just about every DC from 1962 to 1965 and sometime in the late 60's sold them to a used book store in the downdown area. It was one of the few places where you could find large quantities of used comics. (It was also the store where I bought my first Golden Age comic in the early 1970's. A "good" Sensation #18 for $5. I still have that comic.)

Bobby wrote his name at the top of every cover and as the years progressed, you could see the improvement to his penmanship. Generally the stuff was midgrade.

The books must have been dispersed to a large number of collectors. In the 1970's, it was fairly common to see them at the local shows and stores. Usually one or two at a time. They even show up today, although not that often. I probably still have a couple.

Anyway, not "gold", but I thought I'd share my story.

Gary J.

ECFANMAN

Anyone here (besides SeanK, who I know is well aware of this) familiar with "Pop Hollinger," the long-time (some say the first) back-issue comic book dealer? He's responsible for many, perhaps all, of the books you may encounter that have brown paper tape reinforcing the spine. Slightly off-topic, but I would guess that Hollinger's trademark spine taping is probably the most ubiquitous "signature" you'll find on any "collection" of books. He doctored far more books than Church owned.

Here's a link to the full story, which also was printed in OS #12:

http://www.popculturecomix.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127&PN=1