• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dinner At Eight or an Evening with RareHighGrade

70 posts in this topic

Everyone there looks smaller because of the oversized Jumbos

lol That`s a great point. If someone looked at the picture and didn`t realize that Jumbos in fact are jumbo-sized, he`d have thought this was a gathering of midget comic collectors.

Actually, those are Blue Ribbon Digest reprints of the Jumbos. And those of us gathered...well...midgets are positively gigantic to us.

Everyone there looks smaller because of the oversized Jumbos

lol That`s a great point. If someone looked at the picture and didn`t realize that Jumbos in fact are jumbo-sized, he`d have thought this was a gathering of midget comic collectors.

Actually, those are Blue Ribbon Digest reprints of the Jumbos. And those of us gathered...well...midgets are positively gigantic to us.

Actually, we cut those pictures out of the Gerber, and put them in stamp mylars (it took all of us to hold the scissors). Those mosquitos biting Steve's legs were the size of Jumbo Jets!

Thanks to Esquire, here's the group pic taken by tb:

Bedrock, AdamStrange, Nearmint, Esquire, RHG, Sacentaur.

Our tablecloth for the pizza was the Church set of Jumbo 1 - 8. :o

Group2.jpg

Adam, For some reason I thought only Steve was wearing a hat.

Yours is really cool!

OK...I notice that Adam Strange and Sacentaur are the only ones who don't have their arms folded. This means something I think. Everyone there looks smaller because of the oversized Jumbos and all but two have their arms folded. Also, there are some plates in the background and a golden chandeleir. This must mean something! The fact that young Zaid always looks so cherubic is freaking me out, as well. He could very well double as an assasin.A killer who has access because he's so nice and polite looking. Richard has a very genuine smile, he's probably a happy guy. Sacentaur isn't smiling at all....is he wondering why the three next to him have their arms folded? Adam Strange has very intense eyes and oh yeah, no one is overwieght, which is indeed rare in this hobby. Nearmint looks like he works out. What does all this mean? Other than I may have retired too young and am bored out of my mind.

I can answer at least two of your questions, Richard is still smilling from his recent MC 1 purchase as anyone would be, Steve is not as he just looked up the cost of those Jumbo's in the price guide and realized what its going to cost him to put that run together...

Oh, and they are all skinny cause they all buy so many high dollar books they can't afford to eat....

Oh, and they are all skinny cause they all buy so many high dollar books they can't afford to eat....

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

I didn't want to say anyting, nearmint, but it was the unbearable noise from the street and the stench from the fish oil factory next door that bothered me the most. Next year, we really have to move the meeting to that Burger King down the corner to get better lighting and more privacy. In fact, if RHG invites anyone in the future I'd strongly recommend to send a polite but firm "no".

You're right, tb. It did occur to me that I'm more than capable of paging through the Church Jumbos with one hand while chowing down on a double Whopper with extra sauce with the other.

I'm fairly certain I could negotiate onion rings, as well.

I am so jealous.

Perhaps the folding of the arms has something to do with which comics you own?

And, doesn't Zaid ever change? Every picture I've seen of him on the boards is with a checkered shirt.

Damn, now you've made me self-conscious and I have to think about what I wear at each next con!! (tsk):tonofbricks:doh!

So this year he invited a small group of handsome and intelligent collectors for dinner and a show-n-tell at a time that would allow for a more relaxed visit. They weren't able to come so the bar was lowered to allow Bedrock, Esquire, Nearmint, Sacentaur, tb, and I to qualify. :banana:

lol This thread is hilarious. :applause:

hello all...

well, while I am still kind of depressed I did not attend the get together, I did want to report that Centaurman was nice enough to open up his comic vault for me today, while I am in Chicago...and, all I can say is WOW!!!!!....

I will have some pics to post, when I return home next week....

that said, I suspect seeing the books you all got to enjoy, would have warranted a WOW!!!! too :)

gator