• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did your Mom ever throw out your comics?

Did your mother ever throw out any of your comics?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Did your mother ever throw out any of your comics?

44 posts in this topic

We have all heard the horror stories of mothers throwing out comic collections. Did it ever happen to you? Ever have your mother sell your comics against your will at a yard sale, give them to the Salvation Army, give them to a neighbor, or just throw them in the trash?

And if so, how old were you when she threw them out? 10? 15? 21? (note - if you were older than 20 they probably deserved to get thrown out of her house)

We know this happened in the "old days". Does it still happen these days?

For the record, I started collecting in 1976 and stored my comics at my mother's house until after university. She never threw out a single comic. She knew better.

I didn't post in the original thread so I'll go ahead and respond here.

In 1980 my 1st year of college my Mom threw away my entire collection at that time consisting of about 500 books.. Mostly 1970s books, but they included bronze Spideys(#121 & #122), Giant Sized X-Men #1, and lots of DC stuff(100 Pagers).

She had threatened to do so for many weeks/months if I didn't get them out of the coat closet that they were stored in. I procrastinated...and then I lost. :(

I still tease her about how much the GSX-Men #1 is worth now. But in truth, knowing the way I read them over and over they probably wouldn't have been better than Fine condition now and thusly be only a fraction of their potential worth.

Nope, not mine... but, I've heard tales of Grandma tossing my Old Man's books! :sick::cry:

He was a budding artist in his youth and had quite a grand collection of early/mid '50's war books for "reference" and a few hero titles into the 60's. Alas, most got tossed sometime in the mid 60's -- I only have 25-30 of those from that likely grand collection today.

Surprisingly, these were the best 2 that remained:

Sea Devils #1( :gossip:) - maybe 4.0 at best? :(

Our Army At War #83 ( :cloud9:) - likely 2.0 at best? :P

Though neither are choice condition, they certainly are nice to have! (thumbs u

We know this happened in the "old days". Does it still happen these days?

Not likely, as even ignoring that virtually no kids buy comics anymore, no parent in their right mind would throw out something with a $4 price tag.

When I was growing up, comics were a kid's domain, and adults thought they were "junk" and would try to toss them out at the slightest provocation. Comics were cheap disposable reading material, much like newspapers, and mothers just couldn't get their minds around why we'd want to "keep all that junk" around.

Of course, those are big reasons why GA, SA and BA comics are so sought after today, and why today's adult-oriented books will never been worth a plug nickel long-term.

Nope, as a matter of fact they still have a long box of Conans stored away that I forgot to pack with me when I moved out of the house (and state) 20 years ago. I don't even remember what's in it specifically (other than the Elric app.).

my brother in law's father got his collection tossed out into the burn pile in the early seventies. he started buying in the early fifties. he keep them under his bed. he said it was stuffed full of books, read once slid, under the bed. superhero and war comics.

my brother in law just sighs when i show him a price guide.

My Mom threw away my brother Mark's comics. He's 9 years older than me, and says he had a lot of 80 Page Giants from the late 60s and Adams books from the early 70s. Mom knew better by the time I started buying.

My Grandmother gave away a trunk full of my Dad's comics when he was in Korea in the early 50s. Dad was born in 1929, so he was the perfect age for collecting the prime Golden Age keys. I often wonder what jewels that trunk contained.

My uncle had stacks from the floor to the ceiling of DC and Marvel comics. Entire runs of Justice League, Fantastic Four, Avengers and many more. Thousands of comics. When he went to college his parents gathered them up, put them out side and lit a match. The only comic to survive was Fantastic Four #9.

Well my Mother never threw my comics out, but she did the next best thing.

In 1971 I wanted to sell some of my comics to get a little money to buy something for myself, and separated my comics into 2 piles: keep it and sell it. I put the keep it pile in the drawer under my bed and left the sell it pile on the table. We put an advertisement in the local paper and when I was at school someone came to see the books. When I got home my Mom was so excited for me as she handed me enough money to make my purchase...except when I went to my room all I had left were some of the sell it pile. When I asked my Mom about it, she said the guy only wanted a few of what I had in my sell it pile so she showed him the keepers and he bought them all.

:(

I guess her intentions were good.

Artboy99

My uncle had stacks from the floor to the ceiling of DC and Marvel comics. Entire runs of Justice League, Fantastic Four, Avengers and many more. Thousands of comics. When he went to college his parents gathered them up, put them out side and lit a match. The only comic to survive was Fantastic Four #9.

I never understood the intense hatred parents had in those days for comics.

Ohhhh, the humanity........

I never understood the intense hatred parents had in those days for comics.

Seduction of the Innocent!!!!