• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Virtual ComicCon IV Chit Chat

506 posts in this topic

I am in Denver, Colorado this weekend etc. and have been in talks with some Mile High Comics people about selling at the Virtual Comic-Con.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! :o :o :o

We're all going to need in' passwords, and be able to say 'double dip discount' backwards before we can even PM them.

And every book will be 8 x Guide, and the scan will be a stock copy, and...

I've thrown up a little bit in my mouth...

throwup.gif

and

puke.gif

and

puke.gif

and

flush.gif

I am in Denver, Colorado this weekend etc. and have been in talks with some Mile High Comics people about selling at the Virtual Comic-Con.

We're all going to need in' passwords, and be able to say 'double dip discount' backwards before we can even PM them.

My point exactly.

;)

Mile High is an incredibly large online dealer... but he no longer own the stores.

When we say that we don't discriminate, I'd have to say we don't discriminate. If you're a member of the CGC boards and in good standing, you're welcome to post in the VCC.

We don't want to go down that slippery path of saying who can and can't do something... do we?

You're absolutely right. Just having fun.

lol

My point exactly.

;)

Mile High is an incredibly large online dealer... but he no longer own the stores.

When we say that we don't discriminate, I'd have to say we don't discriminate. If you're a member of the CGC boards and in good standing, you're welcome to post in the VCC.

We don't want to go down that slippery path of saying who can and can't do something... do we?

Yes...and no.

I know what you're saying, but what would we do if Danny decided to set up shop?

You know he still has shills here.

So...do we draw lines and if so, where? (shrug)

PS Also, one of the things that makes these boards special is the sense of community...that would not be part of the VCC if it were 'invaded', as it were.

Personally I would like to see it structured by sellers more pleasing to the eye.

As for the amount of books offered by sellers, the more they have, the more congested it seems to be.

I think books with thumbnails, 50 books max looks very professional. Also 5 pics accross with 5 descriptions below.

I dont know about anyone else but I am probably one who will not read just plain descriptions without pics.

You can set up a seperate page for Bargain Bins, lots, etc, that way its easier to look at the books being offered without sorting through a bunch of clutter.

I scimmed by 100% of the text only sales, mostly because I like pretty pictures and pictures sell your books. Maybe that's why my sales were slow this time? hm

On my listings I showed some with pictures and some without. The vast majority of what I sold had pictures and nearly all that didn't have pictures, didn't sell.

I should really practice what I preach, but sometimes to sell a comic for $1 or $2, that's a lot of work. Ah next time, I'll just bite the bullet and do it up right. (thumbs u

Andy

I mostly buy comics and I have to agree with you. If it doesn't have a picture, I usually just skip over it or go to the next seller.

My point exactly.

;)

Yes...and no.

I know what you're saying, but what would we do if Danny decided to set up shop?

PS Also, one of the things that makes these boards special is the sense of community...that would not be part of the VCC if it were 'invaded', as it were.

If Hammer has a shill, ideally, he'd be outed although it'd take some major stones to list a bunch of "Hammer specials" in the VCC.

But take the probation thread for instance... I don't see how we can (or should) stop the people on that list from participating. (shrug)

Red Raven made some killer -script for having tabs in your posts. hm

FYI for the code-writers:

The VCC was not viewable for me with Firefox on Mac OS X.

It froze up Safari for Mac a few times. I don't know whether it was something in the code or just the overwhelming number of images on some pages.

On some pages the tabs obscured images and text.

Jack

My point exactly.

;)

Yes...and no.

If Hammer has a shill, ideally, he'd be outed although it'd take some major stones to list a bunch of "Hammer specials" in the VCC.

But take the probation thread for instance... I don't see how we can (or should) stop the people on that list from participating. (shrug)

Well, I've been thinking about how transactions go down here a lot lately...there are clearly problems from time to time and it would be nice if we could overcome them.

One of the thoughts I had was for boarders to become 'validated' or 'licensed' by their fellow boarders. Now, this is just off the top of my head, right now, but what if a seller was cleared as 'board friendly' by his peers, maybe by having 10/15/20 boarders of standing vouch for him? Same for buyers, and any 'bad deals' would count against them.

I have no clue what the pit-falls would be, or how we collate the info, but sellers and buyers alike could have board 'seals of approval' in their sigs, or somesuch.

Then anyone could join in, but the guys that have long-standing reps would also stand out.

Just throwing this out there...it will probably suck in the cold light of day tomorrow. :insane:

My point exactly.

;)

Yes...and no.

Well, I've been thinking about how transactions go down here a lot lately...there are clearly problems from time to time and it would be nice if we could overcome them.

One of the thoughts I had was for boarders to become 'validated' or 'licensed' by their fellow boarders. Now, this is just off the top of my head, right now, but what if a seller was cleared as 'board friendly' by his peers, maybe by having 10/15/20 boarders of standing vouch for him? Same for buyers, and any 'bad deals' would count against them.

I have no clue what the pit-falls would be, or how we collate the info, but sellers and buyers alike could have board 'seals of approval' in their sigs, or somesuch.

Then anyone could join in, but the guys that have long-standing reps would also stand out.

Just throwing this out there...it will probably suck in the cold light of day tomorrow. :insane:

Or when you sober up.

:jokealert:

Isn't that pretty much the eBay feedback rating? :shrug: :baiting:

A lot of "new" sellers on these boards will frequently post their Ebay name and Feedback rating at the top or bottom of their VCC booth. That seems to be a pretty reasonable method of vetting someone.

(And it's purely voluntary on the seller's part as a method of establishing their credibility.)

It froze up Safari for Mac a few times. I don't know whether it was something in the code or just the overwhelming number of images on some pages.

Jack

Many times I was scrolling through the pages and some people's pics wouldn't show up. They were blocked with a gray box, trying to load up. This was with Firefox.

Andy

Yeah, there are similarities...there would have to be, as it would be asking for feedback on transactions.

As for the 'not buying from someone not validated, if you don't buy they don't get validated' connundrum, it will certainly take someone a bit of time to get a seal of approval. Maybe boarders will 'buy small' from them initially. Maybe sellers will ask for immediate Paypal payment on anything BINned. (shrug)

There will be a way to work towards a 'seal of approval', but it will be work.

And I don't see that there's anything wrong with that.

And besides, it won't mean that you can't buy and sell here without a 'seal of approval'. It just might make it a bit harder, and make you work harder to earn something. People will still deal with you, but you might not get such an easy ride as the people who have done a lot to make this place what it is, who have displayed integrity, honesty and a sense of community over a period of time.

Jack

Many times I was scrolling through the pages and some people's pics wouldn't show up. They were blocked with a gray box, trying to load up. This was with Firefox.

Andy

Me too. Had to refresh many times because of it. And this was with me going back to 10 posts per page just for the VCC. I'm normally at 50.

Jack

Andy

Me too. Had to refresh many times because of it. And this was with me going back to 10 posts per page just for the VCC. I'm normally at 50.

Good, it wasn't just me then. Only on Firefox on the Mac - worked fine on Safari and Camino.

Jack

Andy

It often got stuck at your booth :baiting:

I think that happens if you try to scroll before the entire page loads. I got the gray box in Firefox too on my PC.

I ended up waiting for the pages to load entirely (which took a while.)