• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Virtual ComicCon IV Chit Chat

506 posts in this topic

A thought is to have a "preview night" on Friday with a deadline time, and then open sales thread on the weekend.

I like the idea of a preview night. I had several sales where the PM was sent to me at the moment "the doors opened" and I liked starting things off that way. Preview time is good. (thumbs u

As a dealer I would agree with you, as a buyer I would not.

Guess it depends on ones perspective.

Eitherway I will still shop at the VCC

Ze-

I found the whole thing to be a bit overwhelming. :sumo:

I think there should be limitations as to the number of books available for sale by any given vendor at any given time. :makepoint: Say, perhaps 10 - 20 books.

I know this runs contrary to the "megathon" mentality, but it all depends what you are looking for. This last VCC lost it's "board feel" if you ask me . . .

But hey, I'm expected to be controversial (shrug)

I think there should be limitations as to the number of books available for sale by any given vendor at any given time. :makepoint: Say, perhaps 10 - 20 books.

I know this runs contrary to the "megathon" mentality, but it all depends what you are looking for. This last VCC lost it's "board feel" if you ask me . . .

Well, I think the sales section is where you go for board flavor. Everyone interacts on a daily basis there and develops a sense of community. I think the Con is ideal for people that don't have a monthly event in their neighborhood, or for people that want to buy or sell a larger amount at one time so limiting it seems counterproductive. Unless I'm reading the intent incorrectly?

Whew, I'm glad some other people echoed my comments. I was a little worried that I was being perceived as ungrateful, especially with 40sJohn commenting about it all too.

Knowing that I am a noob on this forum, I probably should have restrained from commenting and I almost deleted my two word post thinking that it may come across wrong. My earlier "Amen' had more to do with Donut's intent to simulate a Comic Con as much as possible, thus the agreement with the limited hours. The limited hours seems to limit the time that the sellers would have to "man" the booth and respond to PM's. But I would think that extending the hours to 8 or 10 hours each day would be cool and also setting up one night for our brethren across the pond would be great as well.

No one should think that they're coming across as ungrateful... new ideas or tweaks can only make the VCC a better event. (thumbs u

What does concern me is when I go around and see that some booths aren't selling stuff. This could be because the seller is just deleting the items instead of marking them with SOLD signs. (In my case, I have multiples.) (It could also be because they have really high prices or for any other reason.) Sellers with no thumbnails or images also seem to have a slight disadvantage.

Does seeing the SOLD signs influence your buying from that booth? Are you more likely to buy from a nicely structured and manned booth vs a haphazard one?

I hate to see sellers put in a lot of time into their booths and not have any VCC sales to show for it. (Although people should remember that they now have the raw materials to start their own selling thread or quickly throw up their VCC leftovers on eBay.)

Also, a lot of members aren't taking advantage of the fact that they can have a booth in the VCC and ALSO START their own individual selling thread with larger scans in the individual thread. The cross advertising there could probably boost sales.

Personally I would like to see it structured by sellers more pleasing to the eye.

As for the amount of books offered by sellers, the more they have, the more congested it seems to be.

I think books with thumbnails, 50 books max looks very professional. Also 5 pics accross with 5 descriptions below.

I dont know about anyone else but I am probably one who will not read just plain descriptions without pics.

You can set up a seperate page for Bargain Bins, lots, etc, that way its easier to look at the books being offered without sorting through a bunch of clutter.

Also, a lot of members aren't taking advantage of the fact that they can have a booth in the VCC and ALSO START their own individual selling thread with larger scans in the individual thread. The cross advertising there could probably boost sales.

I would do that, exceot it seems to be against both the spirit of the VCC, and the rules - "Rule #4 Books for sale in the Virtual Comic Con (VCC) can ONLY be in that thread, no place else." I agree that larger scans would lead to more sales, but of course that would make the single VCC thread unwieldy if everyone did it. I know we tossed around the idea of having Arch create a separate "VCC Forum" board where every seller would have their own thread the weekend of the show, we might re-visit that idea...the board would be cranking!! :headbang:

I would do that, exceot it seems to be against both the spirit of the VCC, and the rules - "Rule #4 Books for sale in the Virtual Comic Con (VCC) can ONLY be in that thread, no place else." I agree that larger scans would lead to more sales, but of course that would make the single VCC thread unwieldy if everyone did it. I know we tossed around the idea of having Arch create a separate "VCC Forum" board where every seller would have their own thread the weekend of the show, we might re-visit that idea...the board would be cranking!! :headbang:

I agree with drbanner on having people do seperate threads with pics/thumbnails. But I also think that Arch should put the VCC Convention Hall at the top of the page like the rules thread so as to keep it from sinking to the second page and making it harder to find.

I agree with drbanner on having people do seperate threads with pics/thumbnails. But I also think that Arch should put the VCC Convention Hall at the top of the page like the rules thread so as to keep it from sinking to the second page and making it harder to find.

You're talking about two different things here. Either we all have our own threads in a separate forum (what Banner was saying), or we are all in the same thread (like it is now) and it's gets tacked to the top of the "for sale" forum.

I like Banner's idea myself.

I dont think Shin was talking about cross selling at the same time. But using the VCC template as a tool for future sales threads here or elsewhere.

At least I think that's what he meant, Arch turned my psychic hat off today.

Ze-

Personally I would like to see it structured by sellers more pleasing to the eye.

As for the amount of books offered by sellers, the more they have, the more congested it seems to be.

I think books with thumbnails, 50 books max looks very professional. Also 5 pics accross with 5 descriptions below.

I dont know about anyone else but I am probably one who will not read just plain descriptions without pics.

You can set up a seperate page for Bargain Bins, lots, etc, that way its easier to look at the books being offered without sorting through a bunch of clutter.

I scimmed by 100% of the text only sales, mostly because I like pretty pictures and pictures sell your books. Maybe that's why my sales were slow this time? hm

On my listings I showed some with pictures and some without. The vast majority of what I sold had pictures and nearly all that didn't have pictures, didn't sell.

I should really practice what I preach, but sometimes to sell a comic for $1 or $2, that's a lot of work. Ah next time, I'll just bite the bullet and do it up right. (thumbs u

Andy

I dont think Shin was talking about cross selling at the same time. But using the VCC template as a tool for future sales threads here or elsewhere.

Ze-

I thought he was talking about cross selling at the same time........... hm

At least I think that's what he meant, Arch turned my psychic hat off today.

Ze-

I was talking about maybe putting 1 or 2 scans of say HG Spider-man issues or your best issues in your VCC booth... but then putting the REST of the RUN in your individual thread with large scans. (And linking to your individual thread from your VCC booth.)

That way, you can have a sampling of your best books in the VCC but move a lot of the other stuff to your own thread. There's something to be said for seeing a large scan in one post (like we do with our regular threads.)

I have a run of Tales to Astonish from 59 - 101 but I wouldn't necessarily want to put 40 thumbnails in my vcc booth to go along with all my other books. What I could do is spotlight some of the best TTA issues and then point people to my individual selling thread.

The keys will probably be of most interest, but the larger scans of the rest of the issues may induce more sales. Plus it would allow people to COMMENT in your individual thread... something they cannot currently do in the VCC.

Well, I think the sales section is where you go for board flavor. Everyone interacts on a daily basis there and develops a sense of community. I think the Con is ideal for people that don't have a monthly event in their neighborhood, or for people that want to buy or sell a larger amount at one time so limiting it seems counterproductive. Unless I'm reading the intent incorrectly?

I don't know that there is a stated "intent" to the VCC.

I think the VCC is great.

But here is a few comments about the last VCC!!

1. I like the idea of it being 48 hours non-stop.

2. Not as much sales because there weren't as many keys or good books as the last VCC. Inaddition, most people are not around during the summer. Just my opinion.

A few people commented on the structure of my thread at the VCC. They liked the idea that I had pictures and a detailed description for every comic book that I was selling.

I like the presentation of 5 across with description/price. The threads with the images on top of each other scrolls forever even with DSL.

I didn't have time to set up, so I just grabbed my CGC books in the office and listed grade/page quality and price....(probably high in some cases for Sig Series Books) but I don't really know how to price those yet. Didn't really want to sell them yet anyway. I figured that was the only way to sell without any prepwork, but I was wrong..no offers, no interest?

I scrolled through the no picture listings....but a picture is worth 1000 words and all my sales in the past were based upon picture availability.

I like the idea of having the VCC open from start to finish, with people reading their pm's in order and making sales decisions based upon the date/time stamp. That gives everyone a fair shot at the books.

I personally like seeing the books that were sold....and the prices achieved. I don't like seeing the sold symbol and the price deleted...it's nice to know what the market will bear at any given point in time. Deleted items make it look like there is no action whatsoever.

I don't really like the preview idea because I like to be surprised and for the fact that I"m never first out of the chute.

my 2 cents.

I still love seeing all the books, and wanted to buy some, but held back.