• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Virtual ComicCon IV Chit Chat

506 posts in this topic

My preference only, mind you, but I think there are way too many thumbnails being shown, creating computer issues, seemingly endless scrolling, and an untidy look to the e-booths. This will become an even bigger issue as the VCC grows going forward. It isn't necessary to have thumbnails for every book being sold. Using the name, grade, and price of books as the links to the large scans obviates the need to have every single book thumbnailed, and makes for a much cleaner and less cluttered e-booth. It is compatible with the desire to have an unlimited number of books offered for sale.

Here's an example of text linking to the full scan:

Journey Into Mystery #121 cgc 9.2 ow $185

I'd like to see a limit placed on the number of thumbnails per booth to maybe 15 or 20, with text links to the remaining scans. This way, scans are available for every book being sold, and sellers can still use thumbnails for their biggest ticket items, or to show the types of fare being offered.

I hear what you're saying, but IMHO yours was one booth that definitely needed the full thumbnail treatment!! :cloud9:

As noted above, it's a lot easier to peruse the listings graphically (thumbnails) than it is to read them line by line...I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not including thumbnails, and like many others, I barely skimmed the text only listings (even if the text were really links, like your booth).

Speaking of thumbnails, I went with the 5 across format (bulleted lists of 5 books, followed/preceded by 5 thumbnails laid out horizontally) b/c that's what seemed easy on the eyes in the previous VCC's. Single thumbnails stacked on top of each other like a never-ending Totem Pole is distracting and doesn't work as well (if you see something you like you have to scroll up/down to find the grade/price).

My 2c.

Where are all the Golden Age buyers at?? Golden horror issues get snatched up with hours on regular posts but dozens sat without a sale. Are the prices really high or are people just are not willing to come down a little?

Tapped out by SD, WW Chicago and big Heritage signature auction. Have a look the Cigar, Timely and pre-code GA threads and there has been a spending spree in the last month or so.

Timing of October VCC will be key for GA buyers.

I didn't really look at anything that didn't have a thumb either. I also do like the time limit to the show, it's on eof the things that makes it exciting, the build up to the open of doors, the last minute dash at the end. It would not be nearly as fun if it was open ended.

I am running safari on an intel imac with a dsl connection & had no grey boxes or slow downs when loading pages, but I guess if you are running into that problem, it would be really frustrating. I can't believe we didn't crash photobucket! lol

My preference only, mind you, but I think there are way too many thumbnails being shown, creating computer issues, seemingly endless scrolling, and an untidy look to the e-booths. This will become an even bigger issue as the VCC grows going forward. It isn't necessary to have thumbnails for every book being sold. Using the name, grade, and price of books as the links to the large scans obviates the need to have every single book thumbnailed, and makes for a much cleaner and less cluttered e-booth. It is compatible with the desire to have an unlimited number of books offered for sale.

Here's an example of text linking to the full scan:

Journey Into Mystery #121 cgc 9.2 ow $185

I'd like to see a limit placed on the number of thumbnails per booth to maybe 15 or 20, with text links to the remaining scans. This way, scans are available for every book being sold, and sellers can still use thumbnails for their biggest ticket items, or to show the types of fare being offered.

I hear what you're saying, but IMHO yours was one booth that definitely needed the full thumbnail treatment!! :cloud9:

As noted above, it's a lot easier to peruse the listings graphically (thumbnails) than it is to read them line by line...I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not including thumbnails, and like many others, I barely skimmed the text only listings (even if the text were really links, like your booth).

Speaking of thumbnails, I went with the 5 across format (bulleted lists of 5 books, followed/preceded by 5 thumbnails laid out horizontally) b/c that's what seemed easy on the eyes in the previous VCC's. Single thumbnails stacked on top of each other like a never-ending Totem Pole is distracting and doesn't work as well (if you see something you like you have to scroll up/down to find the grade/price).

Placing ten or twenty across don't work too well either.

5 seems to be a good rule of thumb. I agree that thumbnails work best.

Like scanning a wall at a con.

Couple things:

1) I vote for keeping the thumnails and I don't see any reason to limit the number. I think the work involved in setting things up is a natural deterrent to over-listing. When I peruse a booth, I look at the pics first. Booths without pics were mostly ignored by me.....Not being negative, but that's just what I did.

2) 5 thumbnails across works very well. If u do more than that, then the last thumbnails on the right may not show on my screen and I'll have to scroll which I may not do since there is so much to go thru and I'm lazy like that.

2) I like the start time and end time. What I don't get is the Saturday night end time, then reopening Sunday morn. Keep it open the whole time.

3) For some reason, a preview night rubs me the wrong way. It's tough enough to make sure I'm online at the start and at the end, but to have a preview night where everything will get cherry picked.....I dunno. Reeks of favoritism towards the boards members who are online more than others. I can't really explain why I don't like the idea. But I don't.

4) Open bar next time???

3) For some reason, a preview night rubs me the wrong way. It's tough enough to make sure I'm online at the start and at the end, but to have a preview night where everything will get cherry picked.....I dunno. Reeks of favoritism towards the boards members who are online more than others. I can't really explain why I don't like the idea. But I don't.

Obv. I'm not in any clique yet. Clique invite anyone? :wishluck: Still, I like the idea of a full fledged preview night without any pre-sales. Otw, it's a mad rush to get through the posts first. Pre-sales kind of aggravate me at real cons anyway. No pre-sales! :sumo:

Yes preview night.

Obv. I'm not in any clique yet. Clique invite anyone? :wishluck: Still, I like the idea of a full fledged preview night without any pre-sales. Otw, it's a mad rush to get through the posts first. Pre-sales kind of aggravate me at real cons anyway. No pre-sales! :sumo:

Yes preview night.

We have a de facto preview night on Friday night since people are setting up their booths. (but no sales)

I'm not sure I'm understanding the concept here... (shrug)

If we're just talking about opening the convention earlier, that's just a change of the time.

Yes preview night.

We have a de facto preview night on Friday night since people are setting up their booths. (but no sales)

If we're just talking about opening the convention earlier, that's just a change of the time.

Sorry, when I spoke against Preview Night, I assumed that meant books would be sold at Preview Night. Isn't that how it works in real cons?

I could be wrong, I've never been to a real preview night at a con.

Yes preview night.

Sorry, when I spoke against Preview Night, I assumed that meant books would be sold at Preview Night. Isn't that how it works in real cons?

I could be wrong, I've never been to a real preview night at a con.

Preview Night, at least how I see it, happened because Setup for a large con happens over 2-3 days generally. A lot of comic dealers are done the night before the con actually opens and since they have nothing to do except trade/buy amongst themselves... the Con Organizers probably thought "Let's open it up to the people who bought 3-day passes since the dealers and people with exhibitors badges are already doing business anyway." (It's a reward for people who come into town early who have 3-day passes.)

(The union setup guys only work certain hours anyway... so by 6pm, most everyone's usually done with setup.)

For the VCC, once we open the Convention Hall, people start setting up their booths. Some organized people are already done and just cut and paste their entire booth in. Others build it in real time. Many people actually work on-and-off until the opening of the convention, so there really is no lull where everyone is just waiting around for the convention to open the next day. (We're also constrained by the 48 hour EDIT window for posts.)

For the VCC, once we open the Convention Hall, people start setting up their booths. Some organized people are already done and just cut and paste their entire booth in. Others build it in real time. Many people actually work on-and-off until the opening of the convention, so there really is no lull where everyone is just waiting around for the convention to open the next day. (We're also constrained by the 48 hour EDIT window for posts.)

Your post is what I was imagining in the way of a VCC "Preview Night". Really there's no formal preview but rather, we're watching over the shoulders of the sellers as the booths get set up. In contrast to a real con, I think I've made my thoughts clear on the "no Pre-Sales."

I think it's good the way it stands except for the timeframe. I'd like to see it open until midnight each night just so our folks on the West Coast can get in if they work that day. Otherwise I think it was good. Well, it wouldn't be bad to make the booth setup an hour or so earlier. But, I'm not complainin'. ;)

Since I was banned and only got to buy from a certain homeless Canadian, here are my belated thoughts:

1) Make full use of the online format and leave it open for a whole weekend. Why in the world you'd have "hours of operation" is beyond me, as it totally defeats the purpose of holding it online and creates unneeded confusion.

2) No limit on thumbnails. In a VCC like this, images are almost required and I only perused the listings that had thumbnails. I'm more a visual buyer, and use the covers as my cue.

3) Preview night.... hm This is a tough one, but I'd have to vote against it. Sure, it would be nice to see what everyone has, but you run the risk of offline deals and other stuff that might ruin it. I say that the minute the VCC officially opens, and the books are posted, it's BIN time.

4) Please PIN the VCC to the top of the board for the duration. :makepoint:

For those of us who routinely have to use dialup because we are in the sticks and cant get fast connection, I definitely prefer thumbnails to bigger size. If there are a lot of them and they are loading slower than normal, I click the page to stop loading and then I look at the descriptions and click on the red X's that didn't load to show me the picture and to load. That way I get to see what I want.

For those of you who simply put like a scan and say #4 -- $20. I don't look at your stuff. Would it be hard to say MIRACLE MAN #4 -- $20. This way I know if I want to look at it or not and otherwise I bypass it and you might lose a sale.

I like the previews, gives me time to go thru and look at the scans as I mentioned above because not having fast access is #$%&*.

Since I was banned and only got to buy from a certain homeless Canadian, here are my belated thoughts:

1) Make full use of the online format and leave it open for a whole weekend. Why in the world you'd have "hours of operation" is beyond me, as it totally defeats the purpose of holding it online and creates unneeded confusion.

2) No limit on thumbnails. In a VCC like this, images are almost required and I only perused the listings that had thumbnails. I'm more a visual buyer, and use the covers as my cue.

3) Preview night.... hm This is a tough one, but I'd have to vote against it. Sure, it would be nice to see what everyone has, but you run the risk of offline deals and other stuff that might ruin it. I say that the minute the VCC officially opens, and the books are posted, it's BIN time.

4) Please PIN the VCC to the top of the board for the duration. :makepoint:

Amen Brother! :golfclap:

I'm totally with you. I'm a fan of awesome covers and I don't memorize story and cover by issue number. I usually remember stories and if I like the issue by the cover so thumbnails. Work well for me.