• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This looks like someone got a nice addition to their collection?

15 posts in this topic

Congrats to 1st and keys - I was following that auction - the book looks at least a G+ - not a comic that comes up that often. The same seller had a decent copy of CDNP #33 that I thought went fairly cheap - it would have been a marginal upgrade for me, or I would have bid higher.

Crime Does Not Pay #22 (#1) is a funny book....not the same as a funnybook. Just like Strange Adventures #1 ( #2 ranked sc-fi comic ), Crime Does Not Pay seems like it should sell for more, and have more demand.......but it just doesn't for whatever reason. Unlike Strange Adventures, which comes on the market quite often, CDNP rarely surfaces, and when it does, it is virtually only offered / found in low grade. It has a striking, unforgettable cover, and is very undervalued IMHO.

Since I mentioned Strange Adventures #1 as the #2 OPG ranked sci-fi comic, I'll use this opportunity for a little rantrant .

The OPG lists the following as the top 5 sci-fi comics....

1. Mystery in Space #1

2. Strange Adventures #1 :whatev:

3. Showcase #17 ( Adam Strange ) :screwy:

4. Journey into Unknown Worlds #36 zzz

5. Showcase #15 ( Space Ranger ) zzz

not even making the top 10 in OPG is a book that IMO is clearly #1 and should be #1 on this list....I'll list my "should be top 5" for the sci-fi category...welcome your thoughts:

1. Superworld Comics #1

2. Mystery in Space #1

3. Man from Planet X - Fawcett

4. Mystery in Space #53 ( the correct Adam Strange for this list )

5. Superworld Comics #2, #3 ( tie )

Steve

43094-PAY.jpg.d835de9178211ba982b1126ec3e2f8ca.jpg

Crime Does Not Pay #22 (#1) is a funny book....not the same as a funnybook. Just like Strange Adventures #1 ( #2 ranked sc-fi comic ), Crime Does Not Pay seems like it should sell for more, and have more demand.......but it just doesn't for whatever reason. Unlike Strange Adventures, which comes on the market quite often, CDNP rarely surfaces, and when it does, it is virtually only offered / found in low grade. It has a striking, unforgettable cover, and is very undervalued IMHO.

Since I mentioned Strange Adventures #1 as the #2 OPG ranked sci-fi comic, I'll use this opportunity for a little rantrant .

1. Mystery in Space #1

not even making the top 10 in OPG is a book that IMO is clearly #1 and should be #1 on this list....I'll list my "should be top 5" for the sci-fi category...welcome your thoughts:

1. Superworld Comics #1

2. Mystery in Space #1

Steve

Makes sense to me. (thumbs u

I'd also put Science Comics #1 at the top. I guess OS doesn't count it because it's not a 100% sci-fi comic? Not really sure what their criteria are. All the Science Comics are certainly at the top of my sci-fi list!

1. Mystery in Space #1

1. Superworld Comics #1

2. Mystery in Space #1

Steve

Makes sense to me. (thumbs u

I'd also put Science Comics #1 at the top. I guess OS doesn't count it because it's not a 100% sci-fi comic? Not really sure what their criteria are. All the Science Comics are certainly at the top of my sci-fi list!

What about PLANET COMICS (1940-1953). hm That would TOP my list of Sci-Fi comics!!!! :bump:

Yeah, another good point! doh!

Now that I'm looking at the list in Overstreet, I'm pretty sure it's a list of "Top 10 ATOMIC AGE Sci-Fi Books", though they don't state it as such. That explains the omission of all the 1940s books.

Congrats to 1st and keys - I was following that auction - the book looks at least a G+ - not a comic that comes up that often. The same seller had a decent copy of CDNP #33 that I thought went fairly cheap - it would have been a marginal upgrade for me, or I would have bid higher.

Thanks, this book has been on my want list for quite some time. The last one that I considered picking up off ebay went to fellow board member 143ksk a few years back. Like showcase-4 stated, when it does show up it's usually in the lower grades. I wanted a copy with secure cover and centerfold, no pieces missing and no resto. I think this one will do. I also picked up the #42 (eletrocution cover) as well (thumbs u

Yeah, another good point! doh!

Now that I'm looking at the list in Overstreet, I'm pretty sure it's a list of "Top 10 ATOMIC AGE Sci-Fi Books", though they don't state it as such. That explains the omission of all the 1940s books.

If it was Atomic Age then it wouldn't include Showcase 17 or MIS 53.

Since I don't buy Overstreet I'm not sure what the purpose of the list is. Is it value? Importance?

It would certainly seem like Planet and Science should fall into the Sci-Fi category but then potentially others like Superworld would as well (note: I haven't read any of the Superworlds). How much of a Sci-Fi interior puts a book into the Sci-Fi category? For example, Superman is partially a Sci-Fi book.

AMEN, brother!!

And I'll vouch for Steve's SUPERWORLD nominations! Another excellent title!

PLANET #1? Obviously!

Books with under 52 pages shouldn't even be considered, IMO! :sumo:

AMEN, brother!!

And I'll vouch for Steve's SUPERWORLD nominations! Another excellent title!

PLANET #1? Obviously!

Books with under 52 pages shouldn't even be considered, IMO! :sumo:

So Weird Science or Weird Fantasy don't count? hm

Sweet, GE!

If we doing top 10 sci fi covers both of those guys would make the short list and I'll bet the Startling 49 would be on it.