• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, why did John Byrne's work decline in quality?

125 posts in this topic

Can you think of any artist who didn't decline through time? I'm sure there are some, but I think they're in the minority.

It's human nature to lose steam. Almost every rock band goes downhill. I tend to think it's more a decline in artistic inspiration rather than money, but who knows in Byrne's case.

Bill Everett's work in his later years (Bronze Age Subby) was no less than magnificent. It would be arguable to say that it was better than his Timely or Atlas stuff, but no one can look at it and say it represents a decline.

Can you think of any artist who didn't decline through time? I'm sure there are some, but I think they're in the minority.

It's human nature to lose steam. Almost every rock band goes downhill. I tend to think it's more a decline in artistic inspiration rather than money, but who knows in Byrne's case.

Bill Everett's work in his later years (Bronze Age Subby) was no less than magnificent. It would be arguable to say that it was better than his Timely or Atlas stuff, but no one can look at it and say it represents a decline.

Superstar artists seem to peak within about 3-4 years and maintain a run of about 10 years.

Byrne started professionally in the mid-70's, did amazing work, but started "declining" in the mid-80's when he pursued quantity over quality.

Frank Miller started in 1978, probably peaked with Dark Knight Returns in 1986, and then switched art styles in 1991 with Sin City. More of a storyteller than an artist imho.

Neal Adams started in 1967 but was out of Marvel and DC by the mid 70's.

Jim Lee, another superstar artist, started in 1987 and arguably, his stuff now is better 20 years later. (He is nowhere near as prolific as Byrne, however, and took a lengthy break from art as WildStorm director.)

Marv Silvestri started in 1987 and is also still improving as an artist 20 years later.

Turner started in 98 and is currently a superstar artist.

David Finch started in 1994 and is still getting better in 2007.

(The guys from Image started really young... were clones of Lee and Silvestri at first, but then broke away with their own styles.)

Agreed, and he was working right up until he passed away, right?

1874_4_57.jpg

1874_4_59.jpg

Agreed, and he was working right up until he passed away, right?

1874_4_57.jpg

1874_4_59.jpg

Those are nice.

Really nice. (thumbs u