• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
6 6

1,527 posts in this topic

Well.....either this copy is undergraded or the Mound City 9.0 sale is starting to drive up prices for lower grade copies as well. The final price with BP was $388.38 for the raw 6.0 GL #7 on Heritage tonight:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=191220&Lot_No=12333&type=bidnotice-outbid

WOW!!! :o

Great price for the consigner and me at least. :applause:

I told you I thought that one was way under-graded.

Some stronger prices on the Helen G. books this week though.

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

I dropped out once it crossed the $300 barrier since I was looking at it as a copy to flip down the road and they did not post a back cover scan. Looks like the bar has been set much higher for even mid grade GL #7s, or this one has more potential than the stated grade.

No. I will post the new GL #7 when it arrives back from CGC this week. ;)

I am debating whether I should unload them to start chasing some pre-Robin Tecs and early Action issues, to be honest, since it looks like we might start to see more long held GA collections surface the next two years.

No. I will post the new GL #7 when it arrives back from CGC this week. ;)

I am debating whether I should unload them to start chasing some pre-Robin Tecs and early Action issues, to be honest, since it looks like we might start to see more long held GA collections surface the next two years.

What do you think your GL 7 might grade? Early Actions and pre-Robin Tecs always has been popular among collectors, so you think all the long held GA collections surfacing will bring awareness and perk up demand?

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I am looking at it from more of a perspective that more long held GA collections will surface in the next couple of years due to the age of the owners and financial needs thanks to the recession/depression. This might be the best chance to chase them before they disappear into collections for another extended visit.

WRT my new GL #7, I will post scans when it arrives back from CGC later this week. ;)

I am looking at it from more of a perspective that more long held GA collections will surface in the next couple of years due to the age of the owners and financial needs thanks to the recession/depression. This might be the best chance to chase them before they disappear into collections for another extended visit.

WRT my new GL #7, I will post scans when it arrives back from CGC later this week. ;)

Very good perception about the prospect of those GA books.

Cool...post scans of your new acquire GL 7. (thumbs u

I wouldn't worry about that, Ryan. If there's one thing that the last few years have shown, it's that the reputation of GA collectors being "real" collectors, and SA collectors just being flippers, is a myth. Sure you've got your old school collectors Anderson, Verzyl and Berk who picked up their primo GA books for relative pennies and have locked them away, but it seems that in recent years, once a really nice GA book comes to the market, it keeps reappearing.

In contrast, the NM SA mega-keys (both Marvel and DC) that appeared in the 2001-2003 time frame have disappeared from the market. With the exception of some TOS 39s when the Iron Man movie broke big and the odd 9.2 Hulk 1 or 9.6 ASM 1 here and there, there was a real drought until 2008-2009, indicating that the prime books had truly been absorbed into real collections. When some books started appearing on the market again in 2008 and 2009, we saw record-breaking prices because SA collectors knew the opportunity to acquire the books truly was limited.

I wouldn't worry about that, Ryan. If there's one thing that the last few years have shown, it's that the reputation of GA collectors being "real" collectors, and SA collectors just being flippers, is a myth. Sure you've got your old school collectors Anderson, Verzyl and Berk who picked up their primo GA books for relative pennies and have locked them away, but it seems that in recent years, once a really nice GA book comes to the market, it keeps reappearing.

In contrast, the NM SA mega-keys (both Marvel and DC) that appeared in the 2001-2003 time frame have disappeared from the market. With the exception of some TOS 39s when the Iron Man movie broke big and the odd 9.2 Hulk 1 or 9.6 ASM 1 here and there, there was a real drought until 2008-2009, indicating that the prime books had truly been absorbed into real collections. When some books started appearing on the market again in 2008 and 2009, we saw record-breaking prices because SA collectors knew the opportunity to acquire the books truly was limited.

Good point, Tim. I am torn since I do not want to put any more savings into funny books right now until I see which way the economy and markets are going to go. If they take another hit as I suspect, then it will be better to have cash on hand for investing and collecting purposes. If I sell, the only book I will probably keep is the GL #7 since it is so hard to find in even 8.0 or better condition. I guess my GL #9 is probably a keeper as well since 9.0 is 2nd highest graded after 9.2, but it is not as important to me as #7.

Good point, Tim. I am torn since I do not want to put any more savings into funny books right now until I see which way the economy and markets are going to go. If they take another hit as I suspect, then it will be better to have cash on hand for investing and collecting purposes. If I sell, the only book I will probably keep is the GL #7 since it is so hard to find in even 8.0 or better condition. I guess my GL #9 is probably a keeper as well since 9.0 is 2nd highest graded after 9.2, but it is not as important to me as #7.

you could always buy lanier's #7 9.2 on clink for $8k

Edited by paperheart

thats not his book is it ? I thought he had the Winnipeg 9.2. That looks like Ryan's old 9.2 with C/OW that he bought from Ted.

Nothing like looking at Clink these days and seeing every GL book priced up at 5x the market rate. I mean Im waiting to still press the buy it now on the GL 83 9.6 Pacific Coast for 5K. Oh wait thats like 10x what it should be selling for.

thats not his book is it ? I thought he had the Winnipeg 9.2. That looks like Ryan's old 9.2 with C/OW that he bought from Ted.

Nothing like looking at Clink these days and seeing every GL book priced up at 5x the market rate. I mean Im waiting to still press the buy it now on the GL 83 9.6 Pacific Coast for 5K. Oh wait thats like 10x what it should be selling for.

hmm, i may have misread the registry set listing. no, i just checked again. it's listed in lanier's set. maybe he and bomber bob traded copies

After looking at it closely, I believe it is my old 9.2. Just in case anyone is interested in doing this, the book was not pressed and had a couple of bends that can probably be corrected, but there is a tiny edge tear on the middle of the right side due to a slight overhang that will hold it back from 9.4. The owner needs to post better pics/scans if he wants to sell it for a decent price IMHO. It will be interesting to see where it ends up, regardless. (thumbs u

Edited by kimik

After looking at it closely, I believe it is my old 9.2. Just in case anyone is interested in doing this, the book was not pressed and had a couple of bends that can probably be corrected, but there is a tiny edge tear on the middle of the right side due to a slight overhang that will hold it back from 9.4. The owner needs to post better pics/scans if he wants to sell it for a decent price IMHO. It will be interesting to see where it ends up, regardless. (thumbs u

kimik :rulez:

hmm, i may have misread the registry set listing. no, i just checked again. it's listed in lanier's set. maybe he and bomber bob traded copies

No it IS mine. Bob and I didn't trade copies. I actually can't remember where I acquired it.