• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection from the 50s

83 posts in this topic

I like these little sagas so I'll start one here as well. I get a phone call from a gentlemen who hears that I buy collections. His mother recently passed away and he has a "bunch of comics from the 50's" OK, I says what kind of titles are they and do you know if the price on the cover is "10cents" He says yeah they are all 10 cents on the cover (not 10 cent covers - comic collector lingo) and that the titles are Weird something or other and Superman. But he only had a small pile with him, the rest were at his mothers house. I ask if he can let me know the issue numbers (I'm still skeptical) and he rattles off issue 86 104 111 232 221 114 115 and I confirm that the 200's are really Action comics. Its funny when I said that he got excited like we were solving a riddle.

Anyway, I tell them that they do have value and are very condition sensitive sohe should be very careful with them blah blah blah. We talk value a little more about value and set up a time to meet for last weekend.

He calls to cancel on the weekend bacause of his work and had to cancel on Monday as well since he was selling his mothers house and we should meet this up coming weekend. It all sounds legitimate but we haven't spoken since but up until today he has returned my calls. I had my odds at 50% for sealing a deal when this all first started and now I'm at about 20%. The good news was that after he got the books from the house he said that there were more than he thought, about 3 boxes worth.

So there you have it, a fun potential deal with sugar plums in my head of some pristine 50s DC and horror. Or more likely Good to VG type books with a few missing or loose covers and mostly Dell and fawcett cartoon books (which he also has in the mix) Either way, if I do buy the lot, it'll be fun and if not I'll call them sour grapes.

More to follow.

Here is hoping you find a pile of 2 minty fresh Action 1's :wishluck:

Fixed your post. 20 would flood the market silly!

Good luck on this one.

feh.

demand would outstrip that book that even if he found 2000 he'd be able to sell them all above guide

demand would outstrip that book that even if he found 2000 he'd be able to sell them all above guide

Huh? 2000 minty fresh copies of Action 1 would literally kill the market, and you'd be soon selling at fractions of Guide.

Huh? 2000 minty fresh copies of Action 1 would literally kill the market, and you'd be soon selling at fractions of Guide.

Yeah. I was lazy and didn't want to challenge the last part of the statement. Of course you could sell 2000 copies, but not for Guide +. Unless you managed to pull of 2000 concurrent sales with no one talking to anyone else.

Only CGC would be saying, "Ka-ching!"

No, don't you remember...more mint books = rise in prices. :makepoint:

No, don't you remember...more mint books = rise in prices. :makepoint:

That's very true! Why, just look at the Edgar Church Collection. All those high grade books and they always go for more than guide - often a lot more!

2000 copies of a book desired by probably 20000 people would keep prices high. especially considering this book sells for above guide in every grade already.

although i do have to say that i never said he'd be selling them all at once.

and yes, i knew the original statement was a joke. it gets so dead around here without a bit of healthy discussion (shrug)