• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Survey: Your Most Valuable Comics of the Silver Age

What is the market value of your most valuable Silver Age comic book?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. What is the market value of your most valuable Silver Age comic book?

43 posts in this topic

Completed the polls. Excellent idea!

I a little shocked at how the Marvel titles dominate this list. Do you think that's because so many DC collectors are after the GA books? Or, is it just because (as we all know) DC just plain blows? :baiting:

I think that is your answer...lol

What is the average value of your next 9 most valuable SA comic books?

more than $25,000 - 5

I find this very hard to believe. I think there are some people who are not voting seriously. I can only think of 2 people on these boards who have 10 books worth over 25K

more than $25,000 - 5

I find this very hard to believe. I think there are some people are not voting seriously. I can only think of 2 people on these boards who have 10 books worth over 25K

Whoops, I may be one of the culprits. I thought it was asking for the total value of the next 9 books.

Completed the polls. Excellent idea!

I a little shocked at how the Marvel titles dominate this list. Do you think that's because so many DC collectors are after the GA books? Or, is it just because (as we all know) DC just plain blows? :baiting:

Doesn`t surprise me in the least. Sheep always flock together in big numbers. :baiting:

more than $25,000 - 5

I find this very hard to believe. I think there are some people who are not voting seriously. I can only think of 2 people on these boards who have 10 books worth over 25K

:shy:

Who's the other one? (shrug)

4. What titles are represented in your top 10 most valuable SA comic books (up to 4)?

Where's the love for Richie Rich and the other red headed step children Funny Animal collectors? At least post an "Other" outside of Marvel or DC where I can put him on top of the trash heap. Sheesh.

What about the red headed wonder Archie Andrews? I'm pretty sure that my top 500 SA books are all Archies lol

I am having trouble answering the last question

of my 10 most valuable silver age books 9 different titles are represented.

Marvels

AF 15

ASM 1

DD 1

FF 1

Xmen 1

DC's

ADV 247

B&B 28

JLA 1

Showcase 4

Showcase 8

Marvels

AF 15

ASM 1

DD 1

FF 1

Xmen 1

DC's

ADV 247

B&B 28

JLA 1

Showcase 4

Showcase 8

Showoff

Interesting survey, though I'm more of a Bronze-Age guy myself... I' look fwd to the results. hm

I have a total of 5 CGC Silver-Age books and 1 is a duplicate/ upgrade! lol:blahblah:

• ASM #50 3.5
  • ASM #51 2.0
  • ASM #78 8.0
  • AVENGERS #52 9.0
  • AVENGERS #52 9.2

So, that's qualifies as a $400 collection -- right? :wishluck:;)

Marvels

AF 15

ASM 1

DD 1

FF 1

Xmen 1

DC's

ADV 247

B&B 28

JLA 1

Showcase 4

Showcase 8

I would list the top four books in terms of value. But you have two Showcases so definitely pick that! :)

more than $25,000 - 5

:busy:

If anyone made an error on one of these questions, could you PM me and I'll correct it in my spreadsheet? I already made one correction for one person. Don't worry, I won't post the names of anyone who made an error!

:busy:

Thanks to all 98 of you who took my survey so far!

Here are the results so far. I've manually corrected two data points in question 2. Please let me know about any other corrections that should be made.

The median value of respondents best books is $1500. In plain English, this means if the 80 respondents all brought their best book to a board dinner, half of the books would be worth more than $1500 and half would be worth less.

bestcomicgraph.jpg

The second graph shows the mean value of your next nine books. The median for the respondents is $800. This is about one-half the median for the best book. This says that for a typical collector, his/her best book is worth about twice as much as the other books in their top ten.

nextninegraph.jpg

The third graph shows the total values of respondent's SA collections. The median value is $17,000. This means that in a typical case, the "Best Book's" represents 9% of the entire collection's value. The sum of the top ten books represents about half of the entire collection's value.

totalvaluegraph.jpg

Finally, here's the graph showing the titles. The "Big 3" Amazing Spider-man, Fantastic Four and X-Men together make up almost half of the responses. However, other titles made a strong showing in this survey. Much stronger than what GPA numbers might lead us to expect

titledistributiongraph.jpg

I'm having a great time working on the survey results. And, as I mentioned, I am changing the comic price index in line with what I'm learning. Here are a couple of key points.

1) The Index will include samples from books worth between $300 and $9000 .

indexrange.jpg

2) About one-half of the index's weight will come from the big-three titles. The other titles will make up the other half.

Interesting results. The next thing to do would be to determine whether the results from the board members (SA collectors anyway) are representative of what the general population collects.

Very interesting results

I found myself with unusual choices for the top 4 titles. even though I have a copy of each of the big three marvels they are all in lower grade and the higher grades of my DD 1 and ADV247 edged them off the list to go with Showcase and Xmen.

I was also surprised by how many top Marvel book were in the "Other" category. Since there were so many titles represented it was hard to imagine many people having top books elsewhere

I'm astounded by the large response by some people with extremely high-value SA collections. Wow! 29% so far have SA collections over the $80k mark. Very cool!

These are some side questions that you can also answer for me or you can share with the others:

If your collection is above $80K:

•  

• Do you use a safe?

• Do you have an alarm on your house?

• What is the address where you keep your collection?
  • Any Pitt Bulls in the house?

Thank you for sharing!

Just Kidding!

Nice job Rhonda! (thumbs u

I'm astounded by the large response by some people with extremely high-value SA collections. Wow! 29% so far have SA collections over the $80k mark. Very cool!

These are some side questions that you can also answer for me or you can share with the others:

If your collection is above $80K:

•  

• Do you use a safe? No

• Do you have an alarm on your house? No

• What is the address where you keep your collection? It's Secret.
  • Any Pitt Bulls in the house? Only Muffin and Shortcake, Hello Kitty had to be put down after the last "incident."

Thank you for sharing!

Just Kidding!

Nice job Rhonda! (thumbs u