• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 found in attic

1,415 posts in this topic

Your telling me this is a long lost recently discovered comicbook sitting in someones attick for 70 years................

and its been trimmed???????????

Either the kids in 1939 were savier than I thought or the vultures of today got to it mighty uick.

Your telling me this is a long lost recently discovered comicbook sitting in someones attick for 70 years................

Either the kids in 1939 were savier than I thought or the vultures of today got to it mighty uick.

*could be* trimmed. Might not be. :wishluck: Brian's just trying to look out for he buyer here that this might possibly be from a group of trimmed books some guy was shopping around.

I really hope, for everyone's sake, that this book turns out to be untampered with.

...if so, it must have been a very nicely climate controlled attic. I still say this book looks wayyyy too clean and unruffled to have been stored in an attic for any significant length of time.

But for comics, it is restoration if you remove something that wasn't meant to be there in the first place. It's one of the things that makes our hobby unique.

By "unique" you mean "can drive one insane", right?

:insane:

And for the record, I thought trimming was not considered restoration, just downgraded as damage and labeled as trimmed? Or does it always get purple and noted as trimmed?

That point always confounds, confuses me. And yes I know, that's easy to do.

Ze-

That's interesting. Makes me wonder why then, it's okay to remove a double cover. (shrug)

That type of trimming wouldn't bother me a bit as long as it was just confined to the production error.

Anyone who removes a double cover should be flogged :makepoint:

That's interesting. Makes me wonder why then, it's okay to remove a double cover. (shrug) That type of trimming wouldn't bother me a bit as long as it was just confined to the production error.
Dan Henderson (Camo and black trunks) vs. Wanderlei Silva

Get more pictures like this from SHERDOG.COM

I agree. And in similar fields (particularly baseball cards) it appears to be okay to cut cards from uncut sheets and not get the restored designation.

Actually, PSA's policy is not to grade cards that have been cut from uncut sheets. The intentional overlooking of this fact regarding the "Gretzky" T-206 Wagner (the first card PSA graded) just adds to the controversy surrounding that card.

Back to the 'Tec 27, it all smells a bit like a moldy stick of butter to me :sick:...not a good sign. :insane:

I was at a local convention this past Sunday and a reputable dealer had a Tec 27 that looked very similar to this one (including Siamese pages sticking out in the same spot). He's not a local dealer though (and not Todd from New Dimension), and had just picked up the book. He said it was from a new original owner collection not previously on the market. I did get to look at the book (not very closely though) and it didn't appear to have any obvious trimming. I wonder if it's the same book, or if by strange coincidence two original owner copies have come out with both having Siamese pages? Very curious...

I was at a local convention this past Sunday and a reputable dealer had a Tec 27 that looked very similar to this one (including Siamese pages sticking out in the same spot). He's not a local dealer though (and not Todd from New Dimension), and had just picked up the book. He said it was from a new original owner collection not previously on the market. I did get to look at the book (not very closely though) and it didn't appear to have any obvious trimming. I wonder if it's the same book, or if by strange coincidence two original owner copies have come out with both having Siamese pages? Very curious...

Someone manufacturing their own $150,000 comics?

*could be* trimmed. Might not be. :wishluck: Brian's just trying to look out for he buyer here that this might possibly be from a group of trimmed books some guy was shopping around.

I really hope, for everyone's sake, that this book turns out to be untampered with.

Sounds as though several people may know who the seller is, is it time to think about releasing that info?

What's strange to me is that a lot of the other books were trimmed, some severely, others not so much, but on top of all that, the guy knew exactly what trimming was and how it was done...

I can't be certain it's the same copy but I'm very concerned that some significant money changed hands and that Todd has been hoodwinked. Maybe the guy stopped shopping the other books with it.

Did the book you're refering to have a dust shadow, as this one does?

I know it would be difficult but I wonder why there haven't been scammers trying to manufacture an entire book from scratch? Something high dollar.

The odds of there being two books with Siamese pages are about as high as someone finding a single comic in their attic and it being Tec 27.

:popcorn: Waiting for the rest of the story...

That's interesting. Makes me wonder why then, it's okay to remove a double cover. (shrug)

That type of trimming wouldn't bother me a bit as long as it was just confined to the production error.

Agreed.

But if the outer cover was removed carefully I doubt there's any way someone could tell that it ever happened. A slightly loose staple would be the only sign and shear variability in the manufacturing of a single cover book could produce the same result.

I know it would be difficult but I wonder why there haven't been scammers trying to manufacture an entire book from scratch? Something high dollar.

It's only a matter of time IMO.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was the real deal (unrestored) I would tuck the extra paper inside the book and submit it that way. CGC wouldn't slab it with the extra paper hanging over the edge of the book, and they wouldn't tuck it inside themselves.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was the real deal (unrestored) I would tuck the extra paper inside the book and submit it that way. CGC wouldn't slab it with the extra paper hanging over the edge of the book, and they wouldn't tuck it inside themselves.

It should already be tucked in, any extra bit's sticking out wouldn't of survived the printing press trimming in the first instance.