• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman#1 - "glue at staple" - help!!

99 posts in this topic

This does not seem like a book one would buy with the intention of slabbing. On a raw book I would treat it the same as a small piece of tape used to reinforce the cover.

Either way the book has been "repaired" - I'll leave it to others to argue why one would be restoration and one not - but my guess is for a raw book, untainted by the purple label, the fmv would be about the same. The tricky part is a book like Batman #1, even in lower grade, is probably more easily resold slabbed than not, and there are probably buyers who would buy a blue label book with tape, before they bought a purple label book with glue. Although, apparently if the glue spot is small enough, it might get the blue from CGC .

Personally I'd take glue over tape, but it's a risk when it comes to resale I suppose.

(shrug) I have a chance at a Batman #1 - everything seems to be in order. Affordable enough grade for my budget, not restored, OW/white to OW pages described as "very nice", no colour touch, no cleaning, and no evidence of rice paper. Only thing mentioned is that "someone has put glue at the staple". In your experts' opinions, is this worrisome enough to possibly call "restoration" when/if ever graded by CGC , or should I not be worried at all ??

Your thankful Board Member FISHBONE

This is from my today's email to fishbone. These are the exact words:

Someone has put glue at the staple. Otherwise, it is unrestored. It is possible that the glue at be removed but we have chose not to do that (maybe we should). The book has no color touch, has not been cleaned, and has no rice paper. The pages are very nice. Either ow/white or off-white.

S

So...other than the restoration it is unrestored?

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, I've got some books that aside from the CT and trimming they are unrestored as well.

(shrug) I have a chance at a Batman #1 - everything seems to be in order. Affordable enough grade for my budget, not restored, OW/white to OW pages described as "very nice", no colour touch, no cleaning, and no evidence of rice paper. Only thing mentioned is that "someone has put glue at the staple". In your experts' opinions, is this worrisome enough to possibly call "restoration" when/if ever graded by CGC , or should I not be worried at all ??

Someone has put glue at the staple. Otherwise, it is unrestored. It is possible that the glue at be removed but we have chose not to do that (maybe we should). The book has no color touch, has not been cleaned, and has no rice paper. The pages are very nice. Either ow/white or off-white.

S

Yeah, I've got some books that aside from the CT and trimming they are unrestored as well.

I have a couple of books whose pages are very white other than the tanning.

S

I have a couple of books whose pages are very white other than the tanning.

i have a cover only, missing all the guts; it's otherwise complete.

Slight glue on spine, or staples PLOD books are the best bargain out there when priced as restored...I love em.

I completely agree with that , if you want the book & it is beautiful otherwise, why let it turn you off? do think it is a CGC plod, but it is a raw dream if the price is right

If the price is right and the resto can be removed without the cover coming off or something, maybe work it out to have it done first as part of the purchase? Ignoring the glue, what's the grade anyway?

Hey Fish,

Sounds like CGC would give it a Purple label. However, they reserve the right to assign any book a Blue label with minor glue notes on it. I have seen Mile Highs in Blue slabs with "Minor Glue or CT" noted. Metro, will probably not CGC it, or else they would have done it already, so they probably guess it would come back purple as well. But, it the price is good and you like the book, then the glue might not hurt if that is the extent of "resto". Best of luck :)

PT

I would buy a slight glue spot or dot of ct at a reasonable price without a doubt. I would prefer those over tape anyday. I would also prefer replaced staples than rusted ones that could spread to the pages

Don't many of the Church books have slight cots of glue?

It is possible that CGC would not even give it a PLOD.

The Church More Fun 52 has "very minor glue" and "very minor color touch". The Larson copy of the same book has "very minor amount of glue on spine of cover". I don't know if the glue is at the staple in either case or not, but both are blue label.

Larsons are more known for having a little bit of glue (along with foxing, of course) - some have gotten Blue, some have returned Purple. I love 'em all anyway.

Fish, my only advice would be to insist on getting the book CGC graded to ensure there aren't any other "surprises".

Larsons are more known for having a little bit of glue (along with foxing, of course) - some have gotten Blue, some have returned Purple. I love 'em all anyway.

Fish, my only advice would be to insist on getting the book CGC graded to ensure there aren't any other "surprises".

I have a Larson New Adventure #19 with glue on the spine and it came back purple

NA19.jpg

A new Metropolis Pile on I see.

Metropolis disclosed the glue

Obviously Metropolis should have measured the amount of glue and applied the CGC rule of glue which is tiny dot (Define that term for me boys) if I've read the back of the label correctly.

Bigger than CGC rule of tiny - Purple, CGC's definition of Tiny - Blue.

Now boys, if Glue is glue than ALL and I mean ALL of those blue label books with GLUE should be in purple holders.

Obviously Metropolis should have measured the amount of glue and applied the CGC rule of glue which is tiny dot (Define that term for me boys) if I've read the back of the label correctly.

Now boys, if Glue is glue than ALL and I mean ALL of those blue label books with GLUE should be in purple holders.

Hey Bob, nice to see you on the GA Forums, where everyone loves everyone else and its all snuggly bunnies and cuddly teddy bears. :cloud9:

Seriously though, you have a point. Metro is disclosing what was done and/or whats there on the book itself. The potential buyer has the disclosure, the price, and I presume, a scan of the book.

If that's inadequate enough info to making a decision, then go look for a Bat # 1 already sitting in a CGC holder if you're concerned about the glue.

Personally, I don't like to buy high dollar books (silver or Gold) not in a CGC holder, but that clearly doesn't hold true for most GA collectors who frequently transact in raw books of considerable expense.

It sounds like there is enough information here to make an informed buying decision, and Metro has done their part. Don't they also have a return policy that would apply here in case the buyer was not happy upon receipt?

:golfclap: Well said Bob!

It is great that there is someone here on the boards with the balls

to stand up for the little guy. (thumbs u