• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller offering me a Tec 27 and Batman 1.. What to do!?!?!?

96 posts in this topic

I was just reading this thread and it made for some great spectator reading. I'm glad you didn't spend the money and I'm glad we got to see the story unfold as this is one of those "adventures in collecting" that happens a couple of times in a collecting lifetime.

Kudos to gator. You really nailed that right away. Very, very impressive.

I love a happy ending almost as much as I love Tec 27's :)

It's good news that he didn't pay a slight R VG+ price for a slight R trimmed G/VG book , but I still feel horribly bad for DK that he is still without his Tec27 -- didn't the seller offer it to you once he got it back from CGC??? Are you going to pursue it via Heritage ?? Gator, now that your suspicion has been confirmed, does the trimming bring the price below 30K or does the theory of "No TEC27 below 30K " hold??

Hey Fishbone.. To answer your question, a Tec 27 is my grail and will always be in my sight, but when reality sets in, I don't think I can afford it at the moment. The seller didn't want to sell the books to me after word got out that I was talking abou this book on the boards. I really don't know what the big deal was, but it was his decision. I was surprised to see that it was at Heritage. It hit my mind that the Tec 27 looked very familiar and as I saw the scans I saved from the seller, it matched perfectly together with the Bat 1. I will be tracking the Tec 27 on Heritage and see what kind of a price it will garner. I still doubt that it will be far from my price range. I'm selling my tec 31 in hopes that I can buy something else.. You know who you are ;).

I truly believe trimming definitely brings the value of the book down just like brittle pages and rusted staples. Those 3 factors are basically big No No's for me, but for a Tec 27, it may slide. I'm guessing the book will sell below $30k with all the premium books for sale on Heritage, C-Link, and CC. I feel that big collectors with deep pockets will be going for the Edgar CHurch Adventures, the early Tecs and Actions, and other SA and GA keys.

Thanks for the update --- it will be very interesting indeed to track the Heritage auction............ :popcorn:

I'm going to go with the theory of No Tec #27 below 30K rule.

This just can't be worth less than good guide.

Definitely appears to be a micro-trim along the top edge.

Compare that copy to this last restored one sold at Heritage:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=824&Lot_No=41193&src=pr

Now if this one is already trimmed and ruined, why not just go ahead and restore it properly - add some rice paper at the top, make the spine and edges all pretty and have a 7.0 with moderate restoration just like the last one they sold that now has the notation "pieces added".

I think I just convinced myself to bid on this upcoming copy.

Now if this one is already trimmed and ruined, why not just go ahead and restore it properly - add some rice paper at the top, make the spine and edges all pretty and have a 7.0 with moderate restoration just like the last one they sold that now has the notation "pieces added".

Gator also made reference to a trimmed copy that sold for $36K. So, if trimmed books are the bottom of the heap (Excluding coverless or incomplete), then it would follow that $36K must be the entry point.

So, if that is true, then any complete, non-trimmed, non-brittle copy restored or otherwise would be north of $40K. Wouldn't that seem reasonable? 4 measley grand extra for a non-trimmed copy seems like a fine bargain.

Well, I just found out that the 2 Batman books I was looking at are now on Heritage.. Glad I didn't make a strong offer as both books were CGC'ed and came out to be trimmed and graded as having amateur restoration 3.0

My first thought re: your offer is why would anyone knowledgeable enough to describe the book as he did want to sell a stranger his book, unless you would be willing to pay more for it than he'd know he'd get from Heritage, CL, etc. If someone owns a tec 27 and batman 1 and is looking for anything near FMV, they probably know what they have. If you got in touch with this guy through a comic venue, an even greater likelihood he's connected to the market. Thus all the risk is on your side. Sucks, but I see few scenarios where you're going to get a deal on on Tec 27. If someone walks into your store with one in hand, that's where the deal may be.

Gator also made reference to a trimmed copy that sold for $36K. So, if trimmed books are the bottom of the heap (Excluding coverless or incomplete), then it would follow that $36K must be the entry point.

So, if that is true, then any complete, non-trimmed, non-brittle copy restored or otherwise would be north of $40K. Wouldn't that seem reasonable? 4 measley grand extra for a non-trimmed copy seems like a fine bargain.

that would be my line of reasoning, too (thumbs u

So where are these $40K unrestored copies of Tec27?

In the meantime, a 30K restored copy that could be restored properly (which I'm guessing removes the trimmed notation from the label) sounds like a good deal also.

think the numbers should be a touch lower I can't see there being hardly any differential between a MP 7.0 (which I bought for $46k last year and Heitage sold a similar one for $50k) and a MP 3.0

I think a non-trimmed 3.0 with MP resto would be in the $25-30k range and a trimmed copy at the lower end of that range.

think the numbers should be a touch lower I can't see there being hardly any differential between a MP 7.0 (which I bought for $46k last year and Heitage sold a similar one for $50k) and a MP 3.0

I think a non-trimmed 3.0 with MP resto would be in the $25-30k range and a trimmed copy at the lower end of that range.

the only problem with that, is that a 4.0 trimmed copy sold for $36K last year in heritage...I don't think we will see any Tec 27 sell in the sub $30K range (though I wish)...

In the meantime, a 30K restored copy that could be restored properly (which I'm guessing removes the trimmed notation from the label) sounds like a good deal also.

the most recent 3.0 cgc blue I know of, is selling for $85K....

Sean, I said NORTH of $40K. My point is $40k is the jumping on point for Tec 27 even if it is restored. Trimming knocked one down recently to $36K.

The actual sales numbers do not support your opinion on this one George.

The actual sales numbers do not support your opinion on this one George.

I agree.

I'm all over this book if it closes at the "lower end" of 25-30K (as I think others would be).

My gut feeling is that if this book were re-restored properly the trimmed notation would disappear from the label and this would be a very presentable restored copy.

- i.e if VG/VG+ then $20k if extensive, $24k if moderate and $27k if slight etc.

You would have to pay the CGC cost and factor that into the pricing.

Really? A VG+ restored would go for 24K?

That's real useful information.

Please send all copies like that you have to me and I will send you back a tidy profit. Because in the world I live in they are worth a lot more.