• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone get the $99 HD-DVD player at Wal-mart today?

173 posts in this topic

HD-DVD....is a failed technology.

BluRay is killing it, bad!... hence, cheap hardware....that $99 price point is an example of a "circling the wagons" protocol, not good...IMO

What a silly statement.

Do you realize that there are actually MORE titles available on HD-DVD then there are Blu-ray now that Viacom has pulled their line-up? Nevermind the fact that HD-DVD players have been outselling Blu-ray players for at least 6 months now.

everything you wrote in this post is a NON fact...look up the actual numbers my friend, what I wrote is FACT!

I am going to side with Buffyfan here, there is infact more HD-DVD titles then there are of Blu-Ray, however there are more Blu-Ray titles being released this year and next, then there are HD-DVD, check out the high def forums I gave a link to for proof. So blu-Ray is coming along, and fast.

However I would not say HD will die, that's like saying Xbox 360 will bomb out next year.

BluRay is killing it, bad!... hence, cheap hardware....that $99 price point is an example of a "circling the wagons" protocol, not good...IMO

What a silly statement.

Do you realize that there are actually MORE titles available on HD-DVD then there are Blu-ray now that Viacom has pulled their line-up? Nevermind the fact that HD-DVD players have been outselling Blu-ray players for at least 6 months now.

everything you wrote in this post is a NON fact...look up the actual numbers my friend, what I wrote is FACT!

I am going to side with Buffyfan here, there is infact more HD-DVD titles then there are of Blu-Ray, however there are more Blu-Ray titles being released this year and next, then there are HD-DVD, check out the high def forums I gave a link to for proof. So blu-Ray is coming along, and fast.

However I would not say HD will die, that's like saying Xbox 360 will bomb out next year.

I agree. With microsoft subsidizing the 5 free DVD giveaway, I don't see HD DVD going away anytime soon.

If anything, they're showing they are willing to take losses on the hardware (I just can't see anyone making money on the $99 DVD player), just to insure the media/format is dispersed to as many homes as possible (just like when they were willing to take large losses on the Xbox 360 hardware just to get it to as many people as possible before the release of the PS3).

My guess is this is not the last of the $99 HD DVD player promotions this Christmas season....and several million units sold between now and the new year will insure the format stays around for a while longer.

engadget.com is a shill front for Sony fanboys.

Checkout the slanted position they take on the Toshiba sale:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/01/toshiba-hd-a2-hd-dvd-player-100-this-friday-wal-mart/

Also, Raven has a very informative post in the water cooler pertaining to HD in general that a few people posting inside this thread should read for personal enlightenment.

TOTAL BLU-RAY DISC TITLES (10/19/07 - DVD Release Report): 305/74*

TOTAL HD-DVD TITLES (10/19/07 - DVD Release Report): 310/48*

*Net total of R1 discs released/announced. Discontinued & adult not included.

HIGH-DEF MARKET SHARE - BRD VS HD-DVD SOFTWARE SALES (10/28/07 - Nielsen/VideoScan) - Numbers Includes 5-Free HDDVD Promotion:

Week End. 10/28

Blu-ray Disc: 55

HD-DVD: 45

Year to Date

Blu-ray Disc: 64

HD-DVD: 36

Since Inception

Blu-ray Disc: 60

HD-DVD: 40

Jim

What a silly statement.

I think the silliest statement was yours about how "available" HD-DVD Burners are.

It's been 24 hours and you still haven't come up with one I can buy yet. But they're "all over the place", right BuffyFan?

What a silly statement.

I think the silliest statement was yours about how "available" HD-DVD Burners are.

It's been 24 hours and you still haven't come up with one I can buy yet. But they're "all over the place", right BuffyFan?

I didn't read the post quoted above, but the general rule of thumb is that Shield is wrong. So, I will retort with "No, you!" and take my leave of this discussion.

(And where do you hear of these deals in advance? Inquiring Khaoses want to know...)

I'm not sure what the article is supposed to prove as I didn't read it, but any article more than 2 years old is pretty much useless in this case.

I been wondering that myself.

My guess, it's not suppose to prove nothing.

Except that it's possible to find 2 year old articles.

I'm not sure what the article is supposed to prove as I didn't read it, but any article more than 2 years old is pretty much useless in this case.

Well, regardless of the age of the article, what it proves to me, is that HD-DVD STARTED OUT behind the eight ball in this race...and now two years later, they are but a few years from becoming the new beta max...kind of ironic, Sony FINALLY won the format wars, afterall...

Well, regardless of the age of the article, what it proves to me, is that HD-DVD STARTED OUT behind the eight ball in this race...and now two years later, they are but a few years from becoming the new beta max...kind of ironic, Sony FINALLY won the format wars, afterall...

Sony does have a very huge support base, but we still can't say they won, I too hope they win, but doesn't mean they will. Perhaps in another year or two we might know who the victor is. Specially if Blu-Ray continues to sell strong. Also, the PS3 plays factor in Blu-Ray aswell.

I'm in the market for a new TV...kinda trying to understand the 720p vs 1080p stuff...got a thread in Water Cooler if anyone can lend their personal experience/expertise.

I'm personally not into a HiDef player (Blueray or HD-DVD) until the battle is over...where it not for some of Microsoft's antics I think Blueray would've won by now).

What a silly statement.

What a silly statement.

You do know that Microsoft is paying companies to produce HD-DVD titles now...otherwise I think we wouldn't even have anything to talk about now.

What a silly statement.

What a silly statement.

You do know that Microsoft is paying companies to produce HD-DVD titles now...otherwise I think we wouldn't even have anything to talk about now.

Whether it was Microsoft, or Toshiba, or both who paid Paramount for being HD DVD exclusive, there is one thing for sure, Steven Spielberg has said all his movies will be released on HD-DVD AND Blu-Ray, no matter what the movie company is supporting. (Which means Universal and Paramount, who are HD Exclusive, will have to release his movies on both formates)

What a silly statement.

I didn't read the post quoted above, but the general rule of thumb is that Shield is wrong. So, I will retort with "No, you!" and take my leave of this discussion.

(And where do you hear of these deals in advance? Inquiring Khaoses want to know...)

Very worthwhile post. Thanks for your huge addition to this thread.

Buffy - where's my HD-DVD burner I can buy? :makepoint:

What a silly statement.

:popcorn:

What a silly statement.

burner

burner

burner