• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

My latest MLJ acquisition.

I've seen this cover a number of times, and never thought much more than it just being a likable enough early MLJ with Rang-a-Tang the Wonder Dog

and a couple green guys on the cover who would probably show up on some Timely covers down the road.

I'm embarrassed to say somehow it never dawned on me (until after I bought it) that the "famous movie star" mentioned in the fine print on the cover is

obviously Charlie Chaplin, whose film "The Great Dictator," a parody of Hitler, was released in October 1940, a few months after this comic hit the stands.

BlueRibbon6.jpg

Here's my most recent comic purchase. So recent in fact that I don't even have it in the mail yet!! It comes from a tip from a pal :) You know who you are!!! Thanks (thumbs u

I saw that one and was sorely tempted. Congrats, awesome cover. :applause:

Here's my most recent comic purchase. So recent in fact that I don't even have it in the mail yet!! It comes from a tip from a pal :) You know who you are!!! Thanks (thumbs u

zip34.jpg

Beautiful Jimmy! I love these covers where everything seems to be going on at once! There is also a kind of trash/pulp thing going on with the overall appearance that slightly reminds me of Superior horror comics - a quality I love. And the colors are blazing.

I don't believe I've ever seen that one before, and I just love it! (Think of me if you ever upgrade!)

zip34.jpg

Yet another Wilbur appearance I don't have :(

Congrats :applause:

Great score Chris!!! :applause: Are you gonna build the run?? It's do-able and there are some pretty neat books in that series!! I dig some of those Mr. Justice covers a lot (thumbs u

Nicely done on the Zip, Jim. I like that one a lot!

I agree on the Blue Ribbon Mr Justice covers. I wouldn't mind collecting a few more books from the run (but of course I can say that about quite a few titles). :)

But then again, if you're right that the title is a little more accessible than say, Peps, Zips, or Hangmans... hm

zip34.jpg

Beautiful Jimmy! I love these covers where everything seems to be going on at once! There is also a kind of trash/pulp thing going on with the overall appearance that slightly reminds me of Superior horror comics - a quality I love. And the colors are blazing.

I don't believe I've ever seen that one before, and I just love it! (Think of me if you ever upgrade!)

Thanks Michael!! These Zips in this part of the run are AWESOME, inside AND out!! They ARE pretty hard to find though. I ALWAYS think of you when I upgrade (thumbs u

Great score Chris!!! :applause: Are you gonna build the run?? It's do-able and there are some pretty neat books in that series!! I dig some of those Mr. Justice covers a lot (thumbs u

Nicely done on the Zip, Jim. I like that one a lot!

I agree on the Blue Ribbon Mr Justice covers. I wouldn't mind collecting a few more books from the run (but of course I can say that about quite a few titles). :)

But then again, if you're right that the title is a little more accessible than say, Peps, Zips, or Hangmans... hm

Thanks Chris :) YES, the Blue Ribbon title is EASILY more accessible than the three other titles!!! You should be able to get some nice grade copies at good prices .... for now!! Others may turn to them in the future as affordable alternatives to the previously mentioned titles (thumbs u

Impressive, though it is a very pretty 2.5 with white pages. But even if it was graded as a 3.5, $2200 would be more than I would have thought.