• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

Awesome book! Always great seeing some little-seen Kirby. :headbang:

(thumbs u A post-Cap one-off Kirby cover for MLJ that you don't see everyday...

img_Shield-Wizard7_146-1.jpg

Transitional Shield (loses super powers; costume redesigned). :headbang:

Has it been clearly established that Jack Kirby was actually involved in some of these MLJ covers? My understanding was that it was Irv Novick swiping Kirby.

Awesome book! Always great seeing some little-seen Kirby. :headbang:

(thumbs u A post-Cap one-off Kirby cover for MLJ that you don't see everyday...

img_Shield-Wizard7_146-1.jpg

Transitional Shield (loses super powers; costume redesigned). :headbang:

Has it been clearly established that Jack Kirby was actually involved in some of these MLJ covers? My understanding was that it was Irv Novick swiping Kirby.

hm I've never seen another cover or any interior illustration art similar to this, but anything is possible. Have you seen any? (shrug)

When documentation is sketchy it's usually best to rely on whatever historical data and visual clues are available. What we know for a fact is that Shield/Wizard #7 was published several months after S&K left Timely (around the time they settled into work at DC); it's also clear that the cover has Jack Kirby's signature style for the period.

Of course the art could still be a swipe, but it really doesn't look like it and given the time frame, a freelanced cover for a competing publisher seems more probable.

Also, Novick tended to sign his finished covers (his Shield covers having appeared on Pep since January 1940, long before S&K created Cap); unlike the typical Novick drawn Shield cover, S/W #7 is unsigned.

While we're speculating, it's always possible that Kirby's redesign of the Shield's costume for MLJ may have been a visual reminder to his former employer of their mistake in failing to cede to S&K's request for editorial control of Captain America. There is no documented evidence of this "swipe" either, but it's a lot more fun to imagine Jack Kirby taking one last jab at Timely's management before being given major character development responsibilities at DC.

Food for thought! :headbang:

Edited by DavidMerryweather

I've never seen another cover or any interior illustration art similar to this, but anything is possible. Have you seen any? (shrug)

Shield-Wizard8NOVICK.jpg

Jackpot7NOVICK.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CGC claims Kirby and Novick on the Shield-Wizard 7 label in the prior post, while on other labels there is no mention of the cover artist(s).

The Jack Kirby checklist claims a Kirby and Novick cover.

The GCD hesitantly sources Mort Meskin, which is clearly not correct.

No attribution in Gerber.

Heritage speculates a Simon & Kirby cover, but also mentions Kirby and Novick.

So while there appears to be some doubt and confusion, I am certainly willing to accept this as a Kirby cover if the experts (not me) say so, but then it begs the question was it the only one he ever did for MLJ?

SW7 sure looks like Kirby to me. The other two do not.

Dan, if you look closely the other two are signed by Novick, and are just presented as examples of his work in a similar style to Kirby.

I agree that the SW7 certainly looks like Kirby, yet the experts seemingly cannot reach a consensus.

SW7 sure looks like Kirby to me. The other two do not.

Dan, if you look closely the other two are signed by Novick, and are just presented as examples of his work in a similar style to Kirby.

I agree that the SW7 certainly looks like Kirby, yet the experts seemingly cannot reach a consensus.

hm Getting all established experts to agree on any issue where there is room for debate is a doubtful exercise in itself. In lieu of absolute proof one must rely on common sense, the historical data available and a preponderance of the evidence.

As GA collectors we all have collecting expertise, especially in the area of our collecting interests. So, until proven otherwise by some newly unearthed evidence to the contrary, I would contend that the cover of Shield-Wizard #7 is by Kirby. :sumo:

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Steve, the easiest way to get to the bottom of this is for you to send me a stack of MLJs to review...20-25 oughtta do it.

That's a splendid idea, Dan - actually, I have only about 60 so maybe the whole batch would be better for comparison sake.

Oh, there's no 9.6's in the bunch so if you don't mind handling lesser copies, like these Peps...

100_1126.jpg

100_1058.jpg

100_1069.jpg

100_1128.jpg

100_1055.jpg

The glossinator! Those are marvelous :cloud9:

100_1069.jpg

The Pep 25 and 32 are both super hard to find nice copies of. I tried for a long time and never could. Unsung key issues, too. I believe the 25 is the first appearance of Archie's jalopy, second only to the Batmobile in the pantheon of comic book vehicles.