• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2023 at 5:18 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

Captain Flag looks like he's about to mount the often misunderstood Black Hand who's having what could be construed these days as a playful courtship moment.

My thoughts exactly.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:05 PM, RedGiant said:

Lovely copy Richard. 

Thanks. It was a sort of lucky purchase. We had someone call the store and ask if we were interested in 30 to 40 boxes of 1990's comics? Oh, and he also had 150 golden age comics. He was buying in the mid '90's and stopped around 2005. He had a goal of acquiring one copy of each title from the 1940s that had a superhero. So one Action, one Blue Ribbon, etc. The books were a mixed bag of grades, restoration, and defects, from very low grade to a few very high grade. The Blue Ribbon 21 is probably a 5.0 with a small piece of tape at the bottom of the spine, but enough eye-appeal to make me happy, since they are just too tough to find and expensive now.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:12 PM, MrBedrock said:

Thanks. It was a sort of lucky purchase. We had someone call the store and ask if we were interested in 30 to 40 boxes of 1990's comics? Oh, and he also had 150 golden age comics. He was buying in the mid '90's and stopped around 2005. He had a goal of acquiring one copy of each title from the 1940s that had a superhero. So one Action, one Blue Ribbon, etc. The books were a mixed bag of grades, restoration, and defects, from very low grade to a few very high grade. The Blue Ribbon 21 is probably a 5.0 with a small piece of tape at the bottom of the spine, but enough eye-appeal to make me happy, since they are just too tough to find and expensive now.

Lucky indeed!

Awsome book and one of only 2 I need to complete the run. I doubt I could justify the cost on even a very low grade copy providing I could find one at all.

Just one question, did you pay up for the ‘90’s books to get the GA?  :roflmao:

On 10/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

Captain Flag looks like he's about to mount the often misunderstood Black Hand who's having what could be construed these days as a playful courtship moment.

Definitely a depiction of a "true life feature"

On 10/25/2023 at 9:51 PM, RedGiant said:

My updated Blue Ribbon run.  It's been a wild 15 months putting this together, some of these are ghosts, thank you to all who have helped me on this journey.  Not sure I'll ever be 'done' working on this set, but I'm certainly going to slow down now and shift my focus elsewhere for the time being.

blueribbonsmallposter3.thumb.jpg.9a900f55f4c0aacf019d2f880f970f94.jpg

Awesome accomplishment! I love seeing runs put together. It certainly seems to be less common these days. 

On 10/26/2023 at 12:51 AM, RedGiant said:

My updated Blue Ribbon run.  It's been a wild 15 months putting this together, some of these are ghosts, thank you to all who have helped me on this journey.  Not sure I'll ever be 'done' working on this set, but I'm certainly going to slow down now and shift my focus elsewhere for the time being.

emoji eggplant GIF

Great stuff Mark!  :applause:

I've got roughly half of those... and the grades on my copies are roughly half of yours as well.  :banana:

(worship) Monumental, and congratulations Mark! :golfclap:

On 10/26/2023 at 8:05 AM, Spyder! said:

Awesome accomplishment! I love seeing runs put together. It certainly seems to be less common these days. 

We are a rare breed these days Jared. You certainly played a part in my journey - your Planet run gave me hope and inspiration that this can be accomplished.