• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

@sfcityduck's really interesting comments about the early DC/MLJ rivalry in copyrights prompts me to ask:

Is there a comic history book or magazine out there with a thorough history of MLJ/Archie? ...i.e. more than a few casual mentions here and there? It's probably no surprise that I'd be most interested in info on the 1939-1945 years... the backstory behind the founding of the company, and the transition from patriotic superheroes to all-Archie-all-the-time. But I'd consider almost anything.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:10 PM, sagii said:

20230606_220721.jpg

20230606_220732.jpg

20230606_220742.jpg

20230606_220803.jpg

So if I’m honest I don’t have any interest in the 1960s-to-present parts of the book… and limited interest in the reprints. Is there actual information about MLJ in the 1930s-1940s section that isn’t found elsewhere?

On 6/7/2023 at 6:35 PM, Point Five said:

So if I’m honest I don’t have any interest in the 1960s-to-present parts of the book… and limited interest in the reprints. Is there actual information about MLJ in the 1930s-1940s section that isn’t found elsewhere?

(thumbsu

Probably (bits and pieces) from articles or fan pages you maybe able to stumble across online and put together to make a whole if your lucky. 

Used to be able to find a really nice one, but can't now. Page/site may not exist anymore.

Edited by sagii

On 7/31/2023 at 8:06 PM, RedGiant said:

One year ago (July/August 2022) I decided I was going to try and put together a full Blue Ribbon Comics (MLJ) run.  As many of you know, this can be very difficult, as many have 10 or less copies on the census.  I went to numerous shows, scoured the internet every single day, watched (and bid) on all kinds of auctions, reached out to numerous people numerous times (not quite harassment, but some might say annoying), others reached out to me, etc.  While I have many to thank, this journey was initially inspired by @sagii (who was kind enough to contribute to my run with the #18 Rockford) - when I saw his set I knew I had to go after the full run.  I like to say being a run collector is a disease, I wouldn't wish it upon my enemies - kids, don't be a run collector!  Anyway, it's been a very fun journey, I managed to somehow put together a full run.  In fact, I have almost a full second run, although I plan to sell my undercopies.  This isn't the end of my journey, this is simply a 1 year update - I plan to upgrade copies over time.  If you are reading this and happen to have any copies nicer than mine that you would be willing to sell or trade, please reach out.  For those wondering, the toughest issue for me to find has been #14 - in a year of CONSTANTLY looking, nagging, etc. the best and only copy I've managed to pick up is a remaindered 0.5.  I am a sucker for pedigrees, especially those that aren't the highest graded - of course I'd love highest graded and some Church copies, but frankly, when you are a run collector, unless you have unlimited money (which I don't), you really can't afford to pick up all the highest graded copies.  At this point, I have two pedigrees, #4 (Larson) and #18 (Rockford).  Very thankful to have them and looking forward to finding more upgrades over the next year.

blueribbonsmallposter.thumb.jpg.2ae048acc3d67e2169867f372bbe6fc1.jpg

A truly impressive accomplishment!  Congrats my friend. 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:06 PM, RedGiant said:

One year ago (July/August 2022) I decided I was going to try and put together a full Blue Ribbon Comics (MLJ) run.  As many of you know, this can be very difficult, as many have 10 or less copies on the census.  I went to numerous shows, scoured the internet every single day, watched (and bid) on all kinds of auctions, reached out to numerous people numerous times (not quite harassment, but some might say annoying), others reached out to me, etc.  While I have many to thank, this journey was initially inspired by @sagii (who was kind enough to contribute to my run with the #18 Rockford) - when I saw his set I knew I had to go after the full run.  I like to say being a run collector is a disease, I wouldn't wish it upon my enemies - kids, don't be a run collector!  Anyway, it's been a very fun journey, I managed to somehow put together a full run.  In fact, I have almost a full second run, although I plan to sell my undercopies.  This isn't the end of my journey, this is simply a 1 year update - I plan to upgrade copies over time.  If you are reading this and happen to have any copies nicer than mine that you would be willing to sell or trade, please reach out.  For those wondering, the toughest issue for me to find has been #14 - in a year of CONSTANTLY looking, nagging, etc. the best and only copy I've managed to pick up is a remaindered 0.5.  I am a sucker for pedigrees, especially those that aren't the highest graded - of course I'd love highest graded and some Church copies, but frankly, when you are a run collector, unless you have unlimited money (which I don't), you really can't afford to pick up all the highest graded copies.  At this point, I have two pedigrees, #4 (Larson) and #18 (Rockford).  Very thankful to have them and looking forward to finding more upgrades over the next year.

(worship) (worship) (worship)

Quite the achievement @RedGiant. Appreciate the nod, and happy to have let that one go to such a great set and big fan of the run! Originally that was a goal, but could never stay focused enough as i became interested in Ace (and later Centaur) and other books that i gave up almost halfway to my goal (i scored 10 out of 22). 

They are some of my favorite golden age books (especially the Sam Cooper Mr. justice covers). On the rare occasion i let an MLJ go, i try to replace it with another MLJ :shy:

Congratulations buddy, beautiful set (and love that there are a mix of grades)!!! 

On 7/31/2023 at 8:49 PM, sagii said:

(worship) (worship) (worship)

Quite the achievement @RedGiant. Appreciate the nod, and happy to have let that one go to such a great set and big fan of the run! Originally that was a goal, but could never stay focused enough as i became interested in Ace (and later Centaur) and other books that i gave up almost halfway to my goal (i scored 10 out of 22). 

They are some of my favorite golden age books (especially the Sam Cooper Mr. justice covers). On the rare occasion i let an MLJ go, i try to replace it with another MLJ :shy:

Congratulations buddy, beautiful set (and love that there are a mix of grades)!!! 

On 7/31/2023 at 8:28 PM, RareHighGrade said:

That's a tough run to complete.  :applause:

On 7/31/2023 at 8:23 PM, Spyder! said:

A truly impressive accomplishment!  Congrats my friend. 

Thank you all. 

Corey, 10 out of 22 is nothing to sneeze at.  While #21 is my personal favorite (and VERY challenging to find), I love them all, and the Sam Cooper Mr. Justice covers are definitely up there.  

On 7/31/2023 at 11:06 PM, RedGiant said:

That is awesome!