• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can a fine 6.0 CGC unrestored have slightly brittle pages?

18 posts in this topic

I wonder if slightly brittle means only the edges of the pages are brittle, or if the pages are slightly brittle from spine to page edges.

Kinda like when the weatherman tells you there's a 20% chance of rain. Does that mean a 20% chance everywhere, or a 100% chance over 20% of the area?

Or maybe it's not like that at all. I need dessert. Where's the ice cream?

No I don't. It should probably be a qualified grade. Somebody got a gift.

Book appears to be an 8.5 from scans. I know from experience that CGC and PGX down grade heavy for Slightly brittle to brittle pages. What concerns me is the book appears to be fairly supple via scans. I have seen this alot as of late??? CGC is still the best in the business, but the addage buy the book not the grade still applies????? This book is better than a 6.0 unless there is something wrong between the sheets so to speak.....

I had a More Fun 14 that was not (IMHO) brittle or fragile, yet got the "slightly brittle" designation. This was a book that had been splayed open and xeroxed by the previous owner.

I had a Whiz 1 that was "slightly brittle" and only the spine was fragile.

Prior to CGC, I had a Whiz 25 that was not brittle, but had a spine roll. I tried to "fix" the spine roll myself, and split some of the pages at the spine.

I've always assumed that this would be what gets the "slightly brittle" tag. i.e. if there's any evidence of splitting, but the paper is still holding up.

This book is better than a 6.0 unless there is something wrong between the sheets so to speak.....

I agree, and would still like to see what the grader notes are , if any.

Also, is that a tear in the first P in Pep?

Brittle pages, or even slightly brittle pages are indeed the kiss of death since the book is closer to falling apart and near unreadable, so while the book appears to be a sweet book, I think in this case the adage "one cannot judge a book by it's cover" applies.

Ze-

Yeah , that is a head scratcher. Is that type of information at least contained in the grader notes if you call on a book?

Not trying to be a smart alec, just honestly curious.

Ze-

I picked up a raw Tec 31 earlier this year. The book was a solid 2.5/3.0 with some corner flaking on the interior pages, but cream to off-white on the interior panels. CGC assigned the PQ as BRITTLE which knocked the grade down to a 1.8 Blue. So, yah, CGC is pretty tough on PQ (although Borock has told me they were much tougher in the first 2 years of CGC's existance), and nice books get hit pretty hard on grades if the pages are deemed bad....Kudos to Fishbone, who now owns that Tec 31

Book appears to be an 8.5 from scans. I know from experience that CGC and PGX down grade heavy for Slightly brittle to brittle pages.

Yes, CGC seems to downgrade significantly for any book that has even a hint of brittle pages. The last Heritage auction had a GL #30 with designated PQ of Cream to Off-White pages which clearly appeared to be in the 7.0 grade range on the outside.

Auction listing stated that CGC had advised that the interior pages were "starting" to turn brittle and graded the book as a lowly 2.5. Even though the PQ was still listed as CR-OW with no label notes on the brittle pages, this so-called "advisement' was more than enough to ensure the book did not even sell for the 2.5 condition guide price which it was graded at.

Just suprised that CGC did not designate the PQ as Brittle Pages, yet apparently still downgraded the book's condition to take this into account. (shrug)

Book appears to be an 8.5 from scans. I know from experience that CGC and PGX down grade heavy for Slightly brittle to brittle pages.

Yes, CGC seems to downgrade significantly for any book that has even a hint of brittle pages. The last Heritage auction had a GL #30 with designated PQ of Cream to Off-White pages which clearly appeared to be in the 7.0 grade range on the outside.

Auction listing stated that CGC had advised that the interior pages were "starting" to turn brittle and graded the book as a lowly 2.5. Even though the PQ was still listed as CR-OW with no label notes on the brittle pages, this so-called "advisement' was more than enough to ensure the book did not even sell for the 2.5 condition guide price which it was graded at.

Just suprised that CGC did not designate the PQ as Brittle Pages, yet apparently still downgraded the book's condition to take this into account. (shrug)

Yes, I find that a little odd. Would be nice if they had moved to MORE information on the label instead of less, serving to further mystify us with their grading.

I don't think any book with brittle pages deserves higher than a 2.0.

Or at best a G/VG.

Speaking of G/VG's - does anyone on the planet this THIS is a G/VG?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCHIES-BETTY-AND-VERONICA-1-G-VG-3-0-1950-SCARCE_W0QQitemZ250109657098QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

*Note the book before you notice who's selling it...

12fa_1.JPG

15cc_1.JPG

Looks like a FA/GD at best with the burnt top edges...Bob musta let that one slip past him :sick:

I don't think any book with brittle pages deserves higher than a 2.0.

Or at best a G/VG.

Speaking of G/VG's - does anyone on the planet this THIS is a G/VG?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCHIES-BETTY-AND-VERONICA-1-G-VG-3-0-1950-SCARCE_W0QQitemZ250109657098QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

*Note the book before you notice who's selling it...

12fa_1.JPG

15cc_1.JPG