• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BREAKING NEWS! Batman #1 CGC 9.0 sells for $300,000!!!

256 posts in this topic

Publicity is the operative word here. I sometimes wonder about some of these sales, if they're true sales or just meant to pump up a market.

We'll never know whether the high profile sales are truly arms length transactions.

All I can say is: If I was a major player in the industry you would see more blockbuster transactions.

Really, you have to put the sale in a perspective and realize that a 9.0 Unrestored Batman # 1 IS A VERY VERY RARE BOOK.In grade its probably a Gerber 9 or 10.If it was brought by a pro, thats the reason this price was achieved.Everyones got in their heads how common Bat # 1 iis.THat statement is not applicable at all in this case.

Whoa, that`s SA-collector type thinking! :o

I absolutly dont think a cgc graded Batman # 1 is worth as much as a 6.5 Action # 1.

Interesting. I have no idea what a CGC Action #1 6.5 is worth - I thought a VG was around the $100-150k mark, but I don't know that market at all.

If someone knocked on your door tomorrow with a bag containing $300k, you wouldn't take it? How about $400k? What do you think your book is worth on the open market?

I was comparing a 6.5 actin 1 to a 9.0 Bat 1..I never mentioned 9.4 Bat 1

I would take the action 1 in 6.5 over a 9.4 bat 1 in a heartbeat (really, anything over 9.0 is the same to me)

gator

I absolutly dont think a cgc graded Batman # 1 is worth as much as a 6.5 Action # 1.

Interesting. I have no idea what a CGC Action #1 6.5 is worth - I thought a VG was around the $100-150k mark, but I don't know that market at all.

If someone knocked on your door tomorrow with a bag containing $300k, you wouldn't take it? How about $400k? What do you think your book is worth on the open market?

I believe a 3.5 just sold in the $175 range? and a 2.0 in the $85K range, and last years 4.0 in the $195K range...so, I would say peter has a $350,000+ book

rick

I was comparing a 6.5 actin 1 to a 9.0 Bat 1..I never mentioned 9.4 Bat 1

I would take the action 1 in 6.5 over a 9.4 bat 1 in a heartbeat (really, anything over 9.0 is the same to me)

gator

I feel the same way. (thumbs u

I know I would rather have a 6.5 Action 1 than a Batman 1 in 9.0 if I had to make a choice. But I would ultimately love to have both. I really don't see the problem with paying the price paid for the Bat 1. Is it high for today's market? Yeah, a little. Will it eventually be worth more? None of us have a crystal ball, but my best guess would be yes,at some point. I am an long time collector as well. To give some perspective I was offered the San Francisco copy of Bat 1 (a true beauty) for $4000 in 1981 and couldn't afford it :frustrated: .

I guess my point is - wow that is a ton of money for a Batman 1, but ever since Comiclink put it up I have been wishing I could afford it.

You know, sometimes we watch these things and think, "well that has been around for awhile, I can wait." But as soon as it sells we kick ourselves for not jumping on it. In this case the dollars were a huge obstacle.

The most ever paid for a comicbook is J.ps purchase from mr Geppi for the pay copy of Marvel 1, right? 350K....So this 300k Bat 1 sale would be the second highest price ever paid for a comicbook followed by the Mile High Flash 1..THats a pretty significant sale.

Ive said it before[ aside from the comic sale] This kid Josh is doing an incredible job in making comiclink a force[ a very significant one] in the vintage coicbook business..Hes even setting the standards now that others ae following.

I think its Metropolis , Heritage and Comiclink as the Big 3 now.

In this case the dollars were a huge obstacle.

I would have done dozens of those $300K deals except for that little issue with the Benjamens.

I know I would rather have a 6.5 Action 1 than a Batman 1 in 9.0 if I had to make a choice. But I would ultimately love to have both. I really don't see the problem with paying the price paid for the Bat 1. Is it high for today's market? Yeah, a little. Will it eventually be worth more? None of us have a crystal ball, but my best guess would be yes,at some point. I am an long time collector as well. To give some perspective I was offered the San Francisco copy of Bat 1 (a true beauty) for $4000 in 1981 and couldn't afford it :frustrated: .

I guess my point is - wow that is a ton of money for a Batman 1, but ever since Comiclink put it up I have been wishing I could afford it.

me too. heck i would be happy with a 6.0

Ladies and Gentlemen. I propose another point of view. What if the buyer was an international collector who now can afford this book because of the decline of the US doller. 3-4 years ago this book would have cost me $400,000 Canadian at this price but about 2 weeks ago would have run me "only"$270,000 or so. That my friends is a windfall rarely seen in this day and age. If the US doller would ever return to it's former glory this buyer could flip the book for a "loss" and not lose a cent.

R.