• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

Question for the resident scholars...

In another thread, Cimm brought this book to my attention when I had posted I was trying to collect every Conan comic published:

LaReinadelaCostaNegra11-401959-01.jpg

after looking it up in CPG, it is notated as published from 1965-1966 and annotated as the 2nd Conan appearance / 1st Conan series. http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-issues.aspx?h7KJSkRRJogJxDMneER9sCJPeaOd3jO6HSCbV1huDvo%3d The Conan in this book was a Blonde Conan, so it isn't really Conan, but the fact that Howard's material was adapted for comics before Marvel's CtB #1 in 1970 is really intriguing to me, as i never knew about it.

That got me wondering as to what was the First appearance that the CPG Blurb alludes to? Are there any other Conan / REH adaptations in other Comics prior to Conan 1?

Discuss: :preach:

Just to add, the 1960's series was actually the second La Reina de la Costra Negra series and the third series to feature Conan. There was a short lived series in the late 1950's that CPG doesn't seem to be aware of. The issue Cimm posted is from the 50's series.

I have done a bit of research on this and here is what I've been able to piece together.

Cuentos de Abuelito ("Stories from Grandfather") was a series like Four Color that featured a different character or theme in each issue. The few that I've seen tended to be historical or religious subjects. At least two of these issues featured La Reina de la Costra.

This is number 17 from 1952:

CuentosdeAbuelito017.jpg

This is number 34 from 1953:

CuentosdeAbuelito000sm.jpg

In the late 1950's the feature was given it's own title that lasted at least a dozen or so issues. The first issue is "Cuentos de Abuelito Presents La Reina de la Costra." The one that Cimm posted is number 11 in this series.

CuentosdeAbuelito008.jpg

ReinaCostaNegra020304-bw.jpg

These 1950's issues are extremely rare!

The 1960's series is a little more common, but still very scarce. This series ran for about 60 issues, though the highest number I've actually seen is 53. The first six issues reprint the the late 50's series then new material begins after that. I've managed to acquire scans of most of the covers from this series, though some of them are only thumbnails.

Note that in addition to Belit and Conan another main character in the series is named Yanga which appears to be a corruption/anagram of the character N'yaga from the original REH story.

ReinaDeCostraNegra002.jpg

ReinaDeCostraNegra004.jpg

ReinaDeCostraNegra006.jpg

ReinaDeCostraNegra008.jpg

ReinaDeCostraNegra020.jpg

ReinaDeCostraNegra027.jpg

ReinaDeCostraNegra039.jpg

ReinaDeCostraNegra052.jpg

All this talk of JB and EC Conan got my creative juices flowing a few weeks back.

Mike Netzer, who's been creating comics since the 70's created this little bit of joy for me.

scan_conantrophy.jpg

All this talk of JB and EC Conan got my creative juices flowing a few weeks back.

Mike Netzer, who's been creating comics since the 70's created this little bit of joy for me.

scan_conantrophy.jpg

:applause: That is Sweet!!

Conan trophy wall, that is awesome! but where is Thulsa Doom? hm

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I love this piece.

Thulsa is front and center. (thumbs u There was a time when Thulsa didn't look like James Earl Jones.

In the comics Thulsa Doom's got a skeletal face.

124613.jpg

I used to read the Robert Howard books which my brother brought home from the library. I currently enjoy the SSOC mags and have collected issues 1-50. I saw Frank Brunner last month at the CalComicCon and he autographed this print for me

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/3177phoenix/DSCN3309.jpg