• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

This should be in Hand in a couple days.

Probably the tuffest item I have ever tracked down outside of Blood is the Harvest!

Conans first Appearance anywhere "Phoenix on the Sword" Weird Tales December 1932

1232fc2.jpg

1232bc2.jpg

(worship)

Congratulations! That is a nice looking copy. (thumbs u

I can remember passing on similar graded copies for $500 - $700 in 1999 and 2000. doh!

Thanks everyone! I was quite excited to finally find this!

When I first started looking I seriously thought it would be not too difficult to aquire a copy. Way wrong on that score!! I figured with My Paypal inflated I would do a few searches and make a few calls and have one in a few Days!

I really developed a love for Pulps in the Time it took me to find this. Man there is some really cool stuff out there and could justify a Thread all their own. Very difficult to keep focused and not blow my Wad on other Items. But I held fast stayed focused and When the opportunity arose BAM!!!!

First, congrats on the pick-up! I've always thought that Weird Tales Dec 32 is one of the top 5 pulps and certainly as hard to find as any of the top 5. But....

I'm confused!

For the last year (or two) I've been trying to find an outlet to move my high grade/killer copy and I can't seem to find anyone who is serious about carrying it in their auctions. I've even tried some private buyers but no-one seems to be willing to pay semi-serious money to own a high grade copy of this issue.

I'm not trying to troll for buyers with this post, just wondering why if this is a desirable pulp (and I think it is or should be!) can I not get someone to auction it on their site?

Maybe I need to wait until Conan is as hot as Avengers and then people will be knocking on the door....

Until then, I have a copy of this up for grabs if anyone wants to email or pm me ;):)

Cheers

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

First, congrats on the pick-up! I've always thought that Weird Tales Dec 32 is one of the top 5 pulps and certainly as hard to find as any of the top 5. But....

I'm confused!

For the last year (or two) I've been trying to find an outlet to move my high grade/killer copy and I can't seem to find anyone who is serious about carrying it in their auctions. I've even tried some private buyers but no-one seems to be willing to pay semi-serious money to own a high grade copy of this issue.

I'm not trying to troll for buyers with this post, just wondering why if this is a desirable pulp (and I think it is or should be!) can I not get someone to auction it on their site?

Maybe I need to wait until Conan is as hot as Avengers and then people will be knocking on the door....

Until then, I have a copy of this up for grabs if anyone wants to email or pm me ;):)

Cheers

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

ComicLink has a Pulp section now. You can try selling it there at a fixed price. Or submit it to ComicLink for one of their featured auctions. They will happily take it!

ComicLink has a Pulp section now. You can try selling it there at a fixed price. Or submit it to ComicLink for one of their featured auctions. They will happily take it!

Heh. Tried that. Nothing against Josh, maybe I'll call him tomorrow but LONG story, short - I convinced Josh to start listing pulps. He was only interested in my 3 best and at a higher consignment than for the comics - which is neither here nor there, but he never got back to me with some answers to questions that I asked.

And I'm still waiting for him to unlock my account so that I can post some of my other pulps on the regular listings - been waiting since Dec 12. All in all, I don't want to hassle Josh with endless emails just to post a couple of pulps, but maybe it is time to send him another round of emails to keep the ball rolling....

Thanks

Trace Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

I'm confused!

Cheers

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

Seriously? Heritage has shifted a few of these. I always get outbid, so I know they don't go for bargain prices :grin:

I wonder how much a 'high grade killer copy' goes for... hm

Does anyone have a list or know a link to a comprehensive list of REH Conan stories published up through the 1970's?

I am hoping one exists so I don't have to do it!

Most of the originals were printed in Weird Tales 1932-1936.

Then some were reprinted in Avon Fantasy Reader in the 1940's.

The Gnome press hardcovers came next (7 of these).

Then those were reprinted (or maybe a few were) by Ace paperbacks in the 1950's.

Then the Lancer paperbacks in the 1960's.

The only other set I am aware of was the three book Red Nails, Hour of the Dragon, People of the Black Circle set that came out in the late 1970's.

I don't think Arkham had any Conan stories in the REH collections they put out, but I could be wrong.

Who has the scoop on all this?

A big thank you to Bronzilla for hooking me up with this REH mini-grail. The cover story "Red Shadows " is the first appearrance of Solomon Kane. It also contains the story "The Vengence of Nitocris," which is the first published work of some guy named Tennessee Williams. Thanks JR! (thumbs u

WT8-28fc.jpg

Does anyone have a list or know a link to a comprehensive list of REH Conan stories published up through the 1970's?

I am hoping one exists so I don't have to do it!

Most of the originals were printed in Weird Tales 1932-1936.

Then some were reprinted in Avon Fantasy Reader in the 1940's.

The Gnome press hardcovers came next (7 of these).

Then those were reprinted (or maybe a few were) by Ace paperbacks in the 1950's.

Then the Lancer paperbacks in the 1960's.

The only other set I am aware of was the three book Red Nails, Hour of the Dragon, People of the Black Circle set that came out in the late 1970's.

I don't think Arkham had any Conan stories in the REH collections they put out, but I could be wrong.

Who has the scoop on all this?

This looks like a fun project. :)

Earlier in this thread I posted a complete list of REH stories in WT including the Conan stories so that covers that.

Skull Face and Others from 1945 does have a few Conan stories - "The Hyborian Age," "The Phoenix on the Sword," "The Scarlet Citadel," "The Tower of the Elephant," "Rogues in the House," and "Shadows in Zamboula." As far as know, this is the first time any of the Conan stories were published in book form.

th_SkullFaceOthersfcsm.jpg

Avon Fantasy Reader published several REH stories in the late forties and early fifties including two Conan stories, both in 1949 - "Queen of the Black Coast" (no. 8) and "A Witch Shall be Born" (no. 10).

AFR08.jpgAFR010.jpg

Ace published "Hour of the Dragon" in 1950 under the title Conan the Conqueror as a double paperback (the other side is The Sword of Rhiannon by Leigh Brackett).

conanconqueror.jpg

Next came the Conan series published by Gnome (see Tupenny's sweet collection above for a visual reference). They were:

Conan the Conqueror (1950)

The Sword of Conan (1952)

The Coming of Conan (1953)

King Conan (1953)

Conan the Barbarian (1954)

Tales of Conan (1955)

The Return of Conan (1957)

These contained the Conan stories that were edited by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter that were the basis for the later Lancer/Ace paperback series that most of us probably grew up with. Tales of Conan is all non-Conan stories by REH that were rewritten by de Camp as Conan stories. The Return of Conan is not by REH but is the first Conan pastiche by Bjorn Nyborg.

Several Conan Stories were published posthumously for the first time (all edited by de Camp):

"The God in the Bowl" in Space Science Fiction, Sept. 1952.

"The Frost-Giant's Daughter" in Fantasy Fiction, Aug. 1953.

"The Treasure of Tranicos (aka The Black Stranger)" in Fantasy Magazine,

Mar. 1953.

"The Vale of Lost Women" in The Magazine of Horror, Spring 1967.

spacesciencefiction-sept1952.jpgfantasymagazine3-1953.jpgmagazineofhorror15.jpg

Next would be the Lancer/Ace paperbacks and the Donald Grant editions in the 60s and 70s, but I need to get to bed so those will have to wait for another time. :)