• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

Conan trophy wall, that is awesome! but where is Thulsa Doom? hm

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I love this piece.

Thulsa is front and center. (thumbs u There was a time when Thulsa didn't look like James Earl Jones.

In the comics Thulsa Doom's got a skeletal face.

Crom smite me for an oaf! doh!

What i meant to say was Thoth-Amon, the Ram horned Stygian wizard! That is what I was thinking but my mead entranced mind pulled out the name of Thulsa Doom.

Conan trophy wall, that is awesome! but where is Thulsa Doom? hm

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I love this piece.

Thulsa is front and center. (thumbs u There was a time when Thulsa didn't look like James Earl Jones.

In the comics Thulsa Doom's got a skeletal face.

What i meant to say was Thoth-Amon, the Ram horned Stygian wizard! That is what I was thinking but my mead entranced mind pulled out the name of Thulsa Doom.

If you made that kind of mistake on the REH forums, you would have been nailed to the Tree of Woe. :baiting:

Just wrote a review of the new BWS Conan Archives for The Cimmerian:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=12052

If you made that kind of mistake on the REH forums, you would have been nailed to the Tree of Woe. :baiting:

hahha, funny that I made that slip-up. In my mind's eye, Thoth-Amon is the main villain I remember from Conan. This is because most of my exposure to the Conan comics in my first incarnation came from King Conan / Conan the King. I had various CtB issues, but I collected and enjoyed the whole run of King Conan. I must not have had the Thulsa Doom issues...

I found a nifty website in doing reasearch on this... it lists all Marvel U characters and gives info on them and also all their appearances:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/thotha.htm

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/thulsa.htm

In the Thoth-Amon i found this interesting tidbit attributed to John McDonagh:

Further supplemental information by John McDonagh: "Actually, an odd connection exist between Thoth-Amon and Thulsa Doom. You see, when Oliver Stone (yes, THAT Oliver Stone) co-wrote the screenplay to the first Conan movie, he was the one who made Thulsa Doom the villain of the movie (although in Stone's original version it would have been set in the future).

Why Stone did this is unclear; Thulsa Doom had by that point never appeared in any Conan stories, only in the Kull story Delacardes' Cat, the Kull comics (including an issue of Marvel Preview), and the pastiche story "Riders Beyond the Sunrise" (a completion of a fragment by Howard, completed by Lin Carter-which was adapted to Marvel Preview). Baen books reprints the original Kull stories.

The final movie version of Thulsa Doom actually seemed to resemble Thoth Amon more than the original version of Thulsa Doom, who was an undead skull-faced villain. (This version also appeared in the comic book adaption of the film.) Sidebar: The toyline Masters of the Universe was supposed to have been a Conan toyline, but was changed at the last minute to a separate charachter. Interestingly, He-Man's main enemy, Skeletor was.......an undead skull-faced villain, just as the original Thulsa Doom had been. Hmmmm.....

Interestingly, video game adaptions of Conan have used Thoth Amon, not Thulsa Doom, reinstating him as the main villain. Maybe now we know why Thulsa Doom did not trust Thoth-Amon; maybe he knew Thoth-Amon was mad at having been snubbed for the chance to appear in the movie! (Although a charachter called Thoth-Amon appeared in the sequel, he had a very minor role.)

Using another charachter's villain for the movie adaption is admittedly an odd occurence (although animated series adaptions do this borrowing sometimes). "

Pictured here are three frequent posters in the Conan Comics thread: Theagenes, Tupenny, & lookwhoitis ~~ with KoR making a special guest appearance.

This pic was taken just after the boys saw the original art for Skull Face & Others on display in the museum behind them.

PS for those wondering what lookwhoitis has behind his back, it's safe to assume it's a bong. :gossip:

BillasRickJames.jpg

And speaking of fanzines, this was waiting for me when I got home today. This is the February 1936 issue of The Phantagraph, an early fanzine published by Donald Wollheim. It is extremely scarce! It has contributions by Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith, but it is most noteworthy for being the first published appearance of Howard's essay, "The Hyborian Age."

PhantagraphFeb1936.jpg

PhantagraphFeb1936Interior.jpg

And speaking of fanzines, this was waiting for me when I got home today. This is the February 1936 issue of The Phantagraph, an early fanzine published by Donald Wollheim. It is extremely scarce! It has contributions by Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith, but it is most noteworthy for being the first published appearance of Howard's essay, "The Hyborian Age."

PhantagraphFeb1936.jpg

PhantagraphFeb1936Interior.jpg

Dats KEWL!!!!!!!!! :applause: