• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

I had that catalog when it came out, I bought Conan the horseman and the 4 ages. I still have my 4 ages, the horseman unfortunately I do not. I remember when Conan was all the rage. I think it had a hand in reviving the genre yet again, back in '73.

I recall Barry hand-colored a few of these, the Bran Mac Morn and the 4 ages. They were absolutely gorgeous, but they were more than my budgets would allow at the time. I can't say I've ever seen one of the hand-colored plates up for sale.

That's funny. I was looking at that listing today. I think I have seen it before as well.

That's funny. I was looking at that listing today. I think I have seen it before as well.

is it off-color or is it faded?

Looks more like faded to me.

I assume it was faded. I thought it was odd that the listing made no mention of any issue.

I assume it was faded. I thought it was odd that the listing made no mention of any issue.

The entire front cover is covered with tape. I wonder if the tape adhesive contributed to the fading?

I was interpreting "tape on complete front cover" as the cover was complete and there was some tape on it. Not the entire cover is covered in tape.

hm

Yeah, being that the seller is from Germany his phrasing might be confusing, but you can definitely see the tape wraparound on the back cover scan, as well as signs of it along the bottom edge of the front cover scan.

A nice (and really cheap) pick up. A bit better sweet as when I left comics back in the early '80s, the sword and sorcery genre was something I'd thought would never die. At least not for Marvel anyway. I'm still astounded the interest level went so low that Marvel eventually lost the license.

The end of the run (all the other failed attempts by Marvel don't count).

156971.jpg.b543d52feb79fd536c06164876e80c1a.jpg

For those of you who still followed Conan in the late '90s, do you recall what killed interest in this character? Was it just it lousy writing or art work? Buscema was still the artist when this final SSoC issue came out.

When I left the hobby the first time, Conan was right up there with Spidey and Wolverine in terms of popularity with multiple running titles per month. It was a real shock when I came back to the hobby in 2012 that Marvel wasn't even involved any more.