• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

This was just posted on YouTube. It's the Robert E. Howard in the Comics panel from Howard Days 2013. It features me (Jeff Shanks), my buddies and fellow Howard scholars Al Harron and Mark Finn, along with Tim Truman, who has written the DH Conan series for most of the last decade and currently writes the amazing King Conan series.

As a special bonus, Joe R. Lansdale, who was in the audience jumps in a couple of times. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Thanks for posting this. Quite enjoyable!

Glad you enjoyed it. We got quite a few compliments after that panel.

This was just posted on YouTube. It's the Robert E. Howard in the Comics panel from Howard Days 2013. It features me (Jeff Shanks), my buddies and fellow Howard scholars Al Harron and Mark Finn, along with Tim Truman, who has written the DH Conan series for most of the last decade and currently writes the amazing King Conan series.

As a special bonus, Joe R. Lansdale, who was in the audience jumps in a couple of times. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Thanks Jeff for the Conan panel. :applause:

I've owned nice HG raw copies of those two books but have never known they were REH stories.

Cool stuff!

Dang. Now I got two more books I've got to chase.

Brian, you'll need this too.

EoTbyDW.jpg

And this.

nRyEgYz.jpg

Dammit. I literally just bought this Suscha News 9.4 a few minutes ago and thought I was getting a head of this. headbang.gif

cha15.121a.jpg

There was so much that I was unaware of which is always a nice surprise. Just went on ebay and picked up Pigeons from Hell by Scott Hampton - looking forward to it.

Tweeted.

Love me some REH Conan stories. I've read a bit of the SS of Conan in the trades, but have also been devouring the DH stuff for years. If you're not reading the current King Conan stuff by Truman and Giorello, your totally missing out on some epic Conan tales.

Love me some REH Conan stories. I've read a bit of the SS of Conan in the trades, but have also been devouring the DH stuff for years. If you're not reading the current King Conan stuff by Truman and Giorello, your totally missing out on some epic Conan tales.

I could not agree more. These are some of the best Conan comics ever put together and that is no exageration. In terms of pairing a writest and an artist together Tim and Tomas are one of those rare combinations that is greater than the sum of its parts.

If you watch the panel above, you'll see that Tim is a true life long REH fan. He really gets it on a level that no other comic writer has, even Roy Thomas. Because he truly understands Howard's world and characters he is able make necessary changes required by the comics medium and pull it off while still keeping the feel of Howard's prose.

And tomas, man it's been fun watching him develop as an artist. He was a little rough to begin with several years ago, but he has found his style and it's breathtaking. He captures hints of some of the best Conan artists, Frazetta, Buscema, Gianni, yet still maintains his own unique style.

The King Conan series is easily up there with the best Conan comics ever made, and the ongoing Hour of the Dragon/Conan the Conqueror series is on par with Thomas and Smith's Red Nails and Thomas, Buscema, and Alcala's "Black Colossus."

Seriously if you are interested enough in Conan comics to click on this thread, you should be reading these books right now.

Previews:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/23-592?page=0

ym1szzj.jpg

Well, they're not exactly the Deluxe slipcover edition of Red Nails, but I like 'em anyway. My HC upgrades to the TPB came in (got them cheap to boot).

And yes. DK's Hour of the Dragon is awesome.

145478.jpg.868c3bef718a73144e5520c0f09aff6d.jpg

Well, they're not exactly the Deluxe slipcover edition of Red Nails, but I like 'em anyway. My HC upgrades to the TPB came in (got them cheap to boot).

Those are nice editions, though I was never a big fan of the fleshy colored cover. I wrote a review for the first volume when it came out for The Cimmerian blog several years ago.

http://leogrin.com/CimmerianBlog/the-barry-windsor-smith-archives-conan-volume-one-hits-the-shelves/

Hmmm. I certainly don't remember that scene from the book. Nice though.

I don't have my copy handy, but I don't remember it either. In fact the only story from the volume Schultz did that I can think of that might fit is maybe "Black Colossus" after he is made general.

I don't have my copy handy, but I don't remember it either. In fact the only story from the volume Schultz did that I can think of that might fit is maybe "Black Colossus" after he is made general.

Perhaps the seller is just using the words "Red Nails" to get more looks from anyone using that for a search. In light of the BWS Art Archives book hm

Perhaps the seller is just using the words "Red Nails" to get more looks from anyone using that for a search. In light of the BWS Art Archives book hm

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe he mistakenly thought it was Red Nails because the architecture looks vaguely Mesoamerican. But Red Nails is the third volume which Greg Manchess illustrated. I'll check my copy when I get home, but I'm wondering if this is an unpublished piece.

Those are nice editions, though I was never a big fan of the fleshy colored cover. I wrote a review for the first volume when it came out for The Cimmerian blog several years ago.

http://leogrin.com/CimmerianBlog/the-barry-windsor-smith-archives-conan-volume-one-hits-the-shelves/

I just bought the 2 volume set from gcstomp last month & turned around & sold my trade paperback set to FUELMAN on the Boards.

The fleshy colored cover is just about as bad as anything I've ever seen. :(

I've owned nice HG raw copies of those two books but have never known they were REH stories.

Cool stuff!

Dang. Now I got two more books I've got to chase.

Brian, you'll need this too.

Just came in today. I am absolutely stoked at how nice (and inexpensive) these REH books turned out. It's rare that I actually agree with the seller's raw grades.

The JIM #1 is a solid 9.0 if not borderline 9.2, the other two are 9.4s. Now if I can find a decent Chamber of Chills #3 :wishluck:

145549.jpg.cd01444cdb4c0263a5306c66c61d0e87.jpg

I was not a fan of the recoloring.

I agree with the review, those B&W reprints in the Essential collection are probably the best way to view the BWS material.

I was not a fan of the recolouring as well. It drives me to distraction. I honestly have to wonder what they were thinking.