• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

Time to bump the Conan thread. :bump:

I've been wanting this one for a while. Contains the first appearance of Red Sonya (Sonja) in "The Shadow of the Vulture." It's a historical adventure that Roy Thomas converted into a Conan story in CtB 23 and 24.

MagicCarpet0002.jpg

MagicCarpet1934-01int02.jpg

This issue is a bonus for the REH collector as it has a second story under one of Howard's pen names Patrick Ervin. This one is a Sailor Steve Costigan boxing story (with the name changed to Dennis Dorgan since Costigan was a Fiction House property).

MagicCarpet1934-01int01.jpg

The same guy that did the limited edition "Fantasy Fan" has a new project that he is taking preorders on. It is a deluxe hardcover Edition of Marvel Tales. Chock full of Pulpy Howard and Lovecraft goodness! I just ordered my copy.

Any one familiar with the work this guy did on the "Fantasy Fan" is well aware of the care that he puts into these projects! I dont know him personally, and I make no money on commission I just want to give a heads up here to you guys!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/complete-Marvel-Tales-hardcover-book-H-P-Lovecraft-Robert-E-Howard-fanzine-/220969300422?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3372cbf1c6

Barry Smith came into his own because of Conan. Those were a great 24 issues.....more or less. And don't forget Red Nails

Conan is really dead these days. Interest just doesn't seem to be there. Not that I'm complaining too much as it means that it's a buyer's market right now. I just picked up this raw copy for $30.77+$6 shipping, and was surprised that I won it.

conan4.jpg

I've been wanting this one for a while. Contains the first appearance of Red Sonya (Sonja) in "The Shadow of the Vulture." It's a historical adventure that Roy Thomas converted into a Conan story in CtB 23 and 24.

This issue is a bonus for the REH collector as it has a second story under one of Howard's pen names Patrick Ervin. This one is a Sailor Steve Costigan boxing story (with the name changed to Dennis Dorgan since Costigan was a Fiction House property).

Man you have the coolest pulps, Theagenes! :golfclap:

I didn't even know 'bout that one. (thumbs u

Man you have the coolest pulps, Theagenes! :golfclap:

+ 1

Nice Conan 4 too. Smith :luhv:

The same guy that did the limited edition "Fantasy Fan" has a new project that he is taking preorders on. It is a deluxe hardcover Edition of Marvel Tales. Chock full of Pulpy Howard and Lovecraft goodness! I just ordered my copy.

Any one familiar with the work this guy did on the "Fantasy Fan" is well aware of the care that he puts into these projects! I dont know him personally, and I make no money on commission I just want to give a heads up here to you guys!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/complete-Marvel-Tales-hardcover-book-H-P-Lovecraft-Robert-E-Howard-fanzine-/220969300422?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3372cbf1c6

I've ordered mine as well. I really hope he does Phantagraph at some point too.

Here's a couple of original copies of Marvel Tales #2 (there were two variant covers) with the REH story "The Garden of Fear." Roy Thomas turned this into a Conan story for CtB 9.

marveltalesorange.jpg

MarvelTalesfcsm.jpg

MarvelTalesinto01.jpg

Nice. Copies Jeff! I have allways wondered which of those covers are more rare. Any ideas?

You know that's a tough call. I've probably seen more of the white and green cover, but that may just be a coincidence. They're both fairly scarce, though.

Less scarce is the Garben of Fear chapbook put out by the same publisher (William Crawford) in 1945. That one had at least three different color covers, with blue being the most common, yellow next, followed by the rare green cover (I've only seen two or three of the latter)

Thats pretty clean Bill.

H.P. Lovecraft first hit my awareness through some old copies of Weird Tales Pulp. He was one of the good story tellers from the few copies I owned of that title.