• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

Alright, with the Conan movie only a couple of weeks away it's time to give this thread a bump. :bump:

This past week I finally acquired one of the toughest of all Conan grails, but I had to buy a whole collection to get it.

The second Conan story that Howard wrote, "The Frost Giant's Daughter," was rejected by Weird Tales editor Farnsworth Wright in 1932. The following year Howard decided to submit it to a fanzine called The Fantasy Fan. Fanzines were a new thing, with the first SF fanzine, The Time Traveler, produced by Forrest Ackerman, Julie Schwartz, and Mort Weisinger in 1932. The Fantasy Fan was the first zine dedicated to weird fiction and fantasy. It was put out in 1933 by a young fan named Charles Hornig, with assistance and contributuions from Ackerman, Schwartz, and Weisinger. In addition to contributions from these talented amateurs, a number of pros like Howard, Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Eando Binder, and Robert Bloch sent in stories and verse to TFF.

Hugo Gernsback was so impressed with Hornig's zine that he hired him as the new editor of Wonder Stories even though he was only 17. The zine ran for 18 issues before it folded in 1935. The circulation was very small--around 60 copies of each issue--and only few survive today, making them extremely tough to find except when older collections come up for sale. I was very fortunate to luck out and pick up an entire run of all 18 issues! :headbang:

"The Frost Giant's Daughter" appeared in the 7th issue of TFF in early 1934. Howard decided to change Conan's name to "Amra" so as to not to anger Farnsworth Wright. Of course "Amra" was well established at this point as a pseudonym for Conan, so the savy readers of TFF would have gotten it. Howard also retitled it as "The Frost King's Daughter," though when it finally saw print Hornig changed it again to "Gods of the North." The story would not be published again until the 1950's, long after Howard's death.

And so, without further ado, here is one of the rarest of all Conan-related publications.

FantasyFan007.jpg

FantasyFanGotN.jpg

And here's a group shot of the whole collection.

FantasyFanGroup.jpg

Incredible stuff Jeff!! Really amazing!!

***Note: My 'latest addition' post above was a link to the seller of the item which the seller has now linked to a different item. The item? A 1970's Frazetta calendar.

Alright, with the Conan movie only a couple of weeks away it's time to give this thread a bump. :bump:

This past week I finally acquired one of the toughest of all Conan grails, but I had to buy a whole collection to get it.

The second Conan story that Howard wrote, "The Frost Giant's Daughter," was rejected by Weird Tales editor Farnsworth Wright in 1932. The following year Howard decided to submit it to a fanzine called The Fantasy Fan. Fanzines were a new thing, with the first SF fanzine, The Time Traveler, produced by Forrest Ackerman, Julie Schwartz, and Mort Weisinger in 1932. The Fantasy Fan was the first zine dedicated to weird fiction and fantasy. It was put out in 1933 by a young fan named Charles Hornig, with assistance and contributuions from Ackerman, Schwartz, and Weisinger. In addition to contributions from these talented amateurs, a number of pros like Howard, Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Eando Binder, and Robert Bloch sent in stories and verse to TFF.

Hugo Gernsback was so impressed with Hornig's zine that he hired him as the new editor of Wonder Stories even though he was only 17. The zine ran for 18 issues before it folded in 1935. The circulation was very small--around 60 copies of each issue--and only few survive today, making them extremely tough to find except when older collections come up for sale. I was very fortunate to luck out and pick up an entire run of all 18 issues! :headbang:

"The Frost Giant's Daughter" appeared in the 7th issue of TFF in early 1934. Howard decided to change Conan's name to "Amra" so as to not to anger Farnsworth Wright. Of course "Amra" was well established at this point as a pseudonym for Conan, so the savy readers of TFF would have gotten it. Howard also retitled it as "The Frost King's Daughter," though when it finally saw print Hornig changed it again to "Gods of the North." The story would not be published again until the 1950's, long after Howard's death.

And so, without further ado, here is one of the rarest of all Conan-related publications.

FantasyFan007.jpg

FantasyFanGotN.jpg

And here's a group shot of the whole collection.

FantasyFanGroup.jpg

WOW!!!! This is an incredible collection. Some of the best of the best represented there. Plus my favorite Conan story as well. Great pick up!

Those are cool, have you thought about having them bound into a single volume?

I've been liking the Dark Horse Conan stuff. The team of Truman, Giorello, and Villarrubia have been producing some beautifully drawn, and colored work. With stories thast have been really, really good as well. Ron Marz stepped in to do a two issue stand alone story, and that was pretty good. There's a new writer/artist for the ongoing, bringing back Roy Thomas with Mike Hawthorne pencilling. The style (art and writing) is now very different from the Conan the Cimmerian run, but it's still pretty good.

I love all the old early Bronze Age Conans, and I have the complete run. The Barry Windsor-Smith, Roy Thomas run was obviously, legendary. Then the intro of Red Sonja, then the Belit stories - all great reads.

I hope the movie is awesome.

It's already been done (basically). I was turned onto this book in the GA forum and have nothing to do with this eBay listing - but would highly recommend it to anyone interested. I think the guy only has a few left.

It's already been done (basically). I was turned onto this book in the GA forum and have nothing to do with this eBay listing - but would highly recommend it to anyone interested. I think the guy only has a few left.

I highly recommend it as well. It's an amazing snapshot of the dawn of fandom.