• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

are "pressed" in the way we use the term "pressing" in the various "pressing threads"?

Certainly not pressed in a sort of deception type way, but it is a fact that many of the books benefited from the 'pressing' weight of many of their fellows and therefore bear the same traits as deliberately pressed books.

On the other hand many of the books suffered from the storage methods and were therefore 'pressed' into slightly inferior conditions.

On balance I would personally think that pressing is a term that can be dispensed with with regard to these books, as it wouldn't bother me...it's a sort of 'act of God'. 2c

Pressing as an act of God? I could work with that. hm

Eat me, fancy pants.

Get your own material. (tsk)

are "pressed" in the way we use the term "pressing" in the various "pressing threads"?

Certainly not pressed in a sort of deception type way, but it is a fact that many of the books benefited from the 'pressing' weight of many of their fellows and therefore bear the same traits as deliberately pressed books.

On the other hand many of the books suffered from the storage methods and were therefore 'pressed' into slightly inferior conditions.

On balance I would personally think that pressing is a term that can be dispensed with with regard to these books, as it wouldn't bother me...it's a sort of 'act of God'. 2c

Pressing as an act of God? I could work with that. hm

Eat me, fancy pants.

Get your own material. (tsk)

Don't be a hater. That was an homage. I'm working on your custom title, dude. Work with me.

Why does this horse need to be beaten more? Every few months this comes up, and the same thing happens: people disagree and arguments arise.

Do you honestly enjoy reading people taking shots at each other and arguing? doh!

This particular horse has never had a separate thread and it is actually a deeper idea than what it may seem on the surface.

And ANY topic has the potential of pot shots and arguments. Hell, even the Happy Birthday ones!

But if we decide to not make topics because we wish to avoid potshots and arguments - this board would soon be a desert.

With all due respect, POV is a smart boy and I think I know what he is up to. In order to bring the best out of a good discussion sometimes the obvious needs to be humoured.

A couple of thoughts and questions...

Has it ever been proven that the Church books were "improved" from this stacking or were they merely deemed preserved better in their original state from this storage method?

With so much said about how these books were naturally pressed with how they were stacked, I find it interesting that so many Church books proved to be good candidates for the professional pressers to improve. Shouldn't they have already hit their "full potential" from the stacking?

Lastly, if this method (if anyone can really call it one) works so well and can be seen as the equivilent to professional pressing (which often uses heat and moisture in addition to the actual weight pressing), then wouldn't dealers be doing this with their inventory rather than shelling out big bucks to have professionals press them?

Let's see.

1. You take NM, unread for the most part, comics and stack them up

2. Keep adding to the stacks as time goes on

3. Comics weren't damaged in the first place

4. No defects to press out

5. Storing the books flat, in a cool, dark and dry environment preserved them

6. Nothing to "press" out, no restoration needed

imho, partially. I do not think flaws were necesserally pressed out, but the way they were stacked certainly is not far removed from the flat pressing, and lended itself to making the books nice and fresh..similar to what a light pressing might do.

Many view the storage methods of the Church books too similar to flat pressing and that is why pressing does not bother them. The results are obviously different, as is the intent behind pressing intentionally. Which lies at the heart of many peoples dislike of pressing. But either process is not altogether that unsimilar, just the results.

Ze-

My question is, could CGC or anybody else detect this "Church" pressing or any other and, if so, could they differentiate the two?

I'd like some engineer or physicist who is on the Boards to calculate how many yards high a stack of comics would need to be in order to achieve a pounds-per-square-inch rating that equals pressing in a press.

Dennis

No comparison. The Church books didn't have defects to begin with. All the stacking did was preserve the original state. You'd need a stack all the way to the moon to achieve pressing of the sort that is done mechanically and with heat.

A couple of thoughts and questions...

Has it ever been proven that the Church books were "improved" from this stacking or were they merely deemed preserved better in their original state from this storage method?

Proven? No. But if you talk to Jon Verzyl, he'll tell you that the pressure from stacking over a long period of time in the Denver climate somehow lifted the cover colors, enhancing them, and giving Church books a brilliance that no other pedigree has.

With so much said about how these books were naturally pressed with how they were stacked, I find it interesting that so many Church books proved to be good candidates for the professional pressers to improve. Shouldn't they have already hit their "full potential" from the stacking?

Remember, all of the Church books were moved by Chuck, without bags, boards, or mylars. And, he was pressured by the family to get them out of there ASAP. It's only natural that some might have suffered a little damage as they were moved. I'd also take issue with your statement that "so many Church books proved to be good candidates for pressing." What % of the collection do you think has been pressed?

Lastly, if this method (if anyone can really call it one) works so well and can be seen as the equivilent to professional pressing (which often uses heat and moisture in addition to the actual weight pressing), then wouldn't dealers be doing this with their inventory rather than shelling out big bucks to have professionals press them?

I certainly do not believe the two methods are equivalent, but I'm sure you can find many dealers who've slipped a book under a few old encyclopedias once or twice!

No comparison. The Church books didn't have defects to begin with. All the stacking did was preserve the original state.

Agree 100 (thumbs u %.

So no defects were removed. The Church books were still in essence pressed. And if you remove intent.. how then does one draw the line when trying to define exactly what was pressed, and what was not?

Ze-

No comparison. The Church books didn't have defects to begin with. All the stacking did was preserve the original state.

Agree 100 (thumbs u %.

So you guys think that 18,000 comics were purchased over a 10+ year period, never stored in bags, boards, or mylar, and none of them had defects that could be improved by pressing(or long-term stacking)? Take a look at Chuck's original list. They're not all NM, NM/MT, or MT. And Chuck isn't exactly known for being a conservative grader.

Agree 100 (thumbs u %.

So you guys think that 18,000 comics were purchased over a 10+ year period, never stored in bags, boards, or mylar, and none of them had defects that could be improved by pressing(or long-term stacking)? Take a look at Chuck's original list. They're not all NM, NM/MT, or MT. And Chuck isn't exactly known for being a conservative grader.

The older ones were in fact nicer, with the exception of some of the very earliest copies. So, maybe some of them did benefit from the added weight. Who will know? The storage conditions were IDEAL, that is why they are so nice.

What the heck is the point of this idiotic dicussion anyway? Are we saying we think all the Church books were pressed/restored? Lunacy,

I grow fatigued at the limits that the pro-pressing crowd will go to find the most far fetched analogies they can to try and prove that what a professional restoration expert does with his heat, moisture, and extreme pressure using a mechanical contrivance that has been proven to flatten and improve grades on comic books.....is not restoration.

Good heavens folks. Can we not all see how pathetic that is????

just stop it. Please :wishluck:

Agree 100 (thumbs u %.

The older ones were in fact nicer, with the exception of some of the very earliest copies. So, maybe some of them did benefit from the added weight. Who will know? The storage conditions were IDEAL, that is why they are so nice.

What the heck is the point of this idiotic dicussion anyway? Are we saying we think all the Church books were pressed/restored? Lunacy,

I grow fatigued at the limits that the pro-pressing crowd will go to find the most far fetched analogies they can to try and prove that what a professional restoration expert does with his heat, moisture, and extreme pressure using a mechanical contrivance that has been proven to flatten and improve grades on comic books.....is not restoration.

Good heavens folks. Can we not all see how pathetic that is????

just stop it. Please :wishluck:

(worship) (worship) (worship)

Agree 100 (thumbs u %.

So no defects were removed. The Church books were still in essence pressed. And if you remove intent.. how then does one draw the line when trying to define exactly what was pressed, and what was not?

Ze-

The Church books weren't pressed; they were stacked. I've had books in large stacks for long periods of time. Bends are not removed, nor are non-color breaking creases, nor is spine roll... all of which can be removed with mechanical pressing that applies heat If anything, stacking is more likely to create spine roll.

It's the same folks on both sides of the debate, no matter how many ways you slice and dice it. I think logic has long been thrown out the window and in it's place - reason backed up by the emotion of wanting to be right.

I'll just stick to pressing on rare occasions, disclosing all that I know about a book and leave the debating over the minutiae to others. this :censored: does get old.