• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,671 posts in this topic

Does anyone know for certain who did the cover art for Spectacular Spider-man #6?

According to the CGC notes on this copy, it's Al Milgrom:

CLink Copy

According to the CGC notes on this copy, it's JR Sr.:

Pedigree Copy

According to the notes at SpiderFan.org, it's Ross Andru.

SpiderFan.org Review

Along with #4, this is one of only two issues from 1-100 that I've never owned a copy of, so I can't check for a discretely placed signature on the cover. If I was to guess, I'd say it looks more like Milgrom's work. But then again, Andru worked on the interior art, so he might have done the cover too... :frustrated:

Any thoughts?

If so, that's probably the best work ever by Milgrom. I'd bet on John Romita, as that looks too detailed for Milgrom and that CGC issue that lists JR Sr is the newer slab.

If not, it's probably just breakdowns by AM and JR did the real finish.

Never really liked that cover myself...Not nearly as nice as #7 and 8 as far as Morbius covers go.

The Grand Comics Database also has the following blurb:

Indexer notes: Cover art credit confirmed 2006 by Al Milgrom and added by Steven Tice.

Cannot find any definitive ink credits.

That issue is also the "imfamous" MTU #3 reprint issue,

Eric

Thanks guys. :hail:

I'm updating the spreadsheet I use for tracking my Spider-man collection (and the holes in it) with the art / writing credits. I'll mark Milgrom down as cover artist for this issue.

Thanks guys. :hail:

I'm updating the spreadsheet I use for tracking my Spider-man collection (and the holes in it) with the art / writing credits. I'll mark Milgrom down as cover artist for this issue.

Definatelly looks more Milgrom than Romita.

Does anyone know for certain who did the cover art for Spectacular Spider-man #6?

According to the CGC notes on this copy, it's Al Milgrom:

CLink Copy

According to the CGC notes on this copy, it's JR Sr.:

Pedigree Copy

According to the notes at SpiderFan.org, it's Ross Andru.

SpiderFan.org Review

Along with #4, this is one of only two issues from 1-100 that I've never owned a copy of, so I can't check for a discretely placed signature on the cover. If I was to guess, I'd say it looks more like Milgrom's work. But then again, Andru worked on the interior art, so he might have done the cover too... :frustrated:

Any thoughts?

Found another CGC graded copy that lists Milgrom as the cover artist.

eBay copy

Strangely enough, when I did a certification lookup on the JR Sr. copy, the serial number returned Milgrom as cover artist as well. There must have been a typo on the label of that book. I think that makes it pretty definitive...

Very nice books Spider-manonTilt! ASM #111 must be a tough book with that cover. I don't really have much in the way of Spideys. I am just a simple mid grade X-men and TOS guy right now. But I do have a few Spideys to show off!

My CGC'd Spideys:

ASM103CGC96.jpg

ASM103CGC94.jpg

ASM105CGC96.jpg

ASM117CGC94.jpg

ASM128CGC98.jpg

ASM130CGC96.jpg

ASM179CGC98.jpg