• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
13 13

1,674 posts in this topic

Any current owners of ASM #151 in CGC 9.6 who want to publicly share? When you got your copy, how much it was, and where you got it from? :wishluck: If you don't want to go public and think such a request rude, then you can PM me. :shy: Or, if you simply want to say you're a proud owner of a 9.6, feel free to exercise free speech. There's only 19 of 'em on the census (out of 193 submitted).

My story, semi-tinged with regret, is forthcoming.

And if anyone definitely knows who is the fortunate owner of the single 9.8 on the census, do tell. Common sense tells me it's Mr. Brulato, but then again, maybe someone beat him to the punch. I see GPA shows that it sold for 1,000 bucks back in September 2006. If that copy ever goes up for sale, or if another one emerges and is auctioned off, I'm thinking it's going to be a battle in the trenches and a predictably insane amount of money realized.

:popcorn:

Bought a copy from a boardie today, looks like a possibility for 9.6 to me.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3828588&fpart=18

I saw that! Considering your screen name, maybe I don't need to ask if you're going to send it down to Sarasota. :whistle: If you don't mind, Check back in when you have some results. :wishluck:

I will certainly update when slabbed. I bought a raw #135 on the board to give it company on the trip to FLA. :wishluck:

I am now addicted to board sales!

Two months to the day since someone last posted in this thread?! :sumo:...what, no love for the BA Spideys? :shrug:

slabthistoo, how'd your #151 turn out? :shrug:

The bottom recently dropped out of this book in 9.6 (from the 500 dollar range to now 200 dollar range) which, I guess, mirrors the BA general dipping across the board...but there's some interesting developments on ASM #151 in 9.8. For the longest time, this book had only one 9.8. I just checked the census and now there's 3. :whatthe: What's more is I just checked GPA and one of those 9.8 bad boys just sold for 1,900 in May. :whatthe: :whatthe:

Anyhoo, my obsession with #151 continues. Anyone else want to chime in on this particular issue in the HG market?

Any current owners of ASM #151 in CGC 9.6 who want to publicly share? When you got your copy, how much it was, and where you got it from? :wishluck: If you don't want to go public and think such a request rude, then you can PM me. :shy: Or, if you simply want to say you're a proud owner of a 9.6, feel free to exercise free speech. There's only 19 of 'em on the census (out of 193 submitted).

My story, semi-tinged with regret, is forthcoming.

And if anyone definitely knows who is the fortunate owner of the single 9.8 on the census, do tell. Common sense tells me it's Mr. Brulato, but then again, maybe someone beat him to the punch. I see GPA shows that it sold for 1,000 bucks back in September 2006. If that copy ever goes up for sale, or if another one emerges and is auctioned off, I'm thinking it's going to be a battle in the trenches and a predictably insane amount of money realized.

Bought a copy from a boardie today, looks like a possibility for 9.6 to me.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3828588&fpart=18

I saw that! Considering your screen name, maybe I don't need to ask if you're going to send it down to Sarasota. :whistle: If you don't mind, Check back in when you have some results. :wishluck:

I will certainly update when slabbed. I bought a raw #135 on the board to give it company on the trip to FLA. :wishluck:

I am now addicted to board sales!

Two months to the day since someone last posted in this thread?! :sumo:...what, no love for the BA Spideys? :shrug:

slabthistoo, how'd your #151 turn out? :shrug:

The bottom recently dropped out of this book in 9.6 (from the 500 dollar range to now 200 dollar range) which, I guess, mirrors the BA general dipping across the board...but there's some interesting developments on ASM #151 in 9.8. For the longest time, this book had only one 9.8. I just checked the census and now there's 3. :whatthe: What's more is I just checked GPA and one of those 9.8 bad boys just sold for 1,900 in May. :whatthe: :whatthe:

Anyhoo, my obsession with #151 continues. Anyone else want to chime in on this particular issue in the HG market?

I bought an old lable 9.6-so my raw is staying that way for now. In any case it needs a press-then it might be in 9.6-9.8 range. I haven't pressed anything before, so I am not in a hurry to take that road right now.

Since the bottom seems to falling out on Bronze and later ASM's I have been filling some holes, trying to build a run. So I wont be sending anythig to FLA soon.

Great time to be buying ASM's.

I was looking for a Bronze Spidey club, found this thread, and thought it was time for a :bump: to revive some interest. I'll try to get a few of my books scanned in and posted soon. I'm complete in ASM, mostly raw, except for #18, 21, and 100 (and a few silly annuals, but I can't stand annuals and only buy them because I am an OCD completist).

I was looking for a Bronze Spidey club, found this thread, and thought it was time for a :bump: to revive some interest. I'll try to get a few of my books scanned in and posted soon. I'm complete in ASM, mostly raw, except for #18, 21, and 100 (and a few silly annuals, but I can't stand annuals and only buy them because I am an OCD completist).

So you have #1 to the present? :popcorn:

Not quite, I'm missing those 3 I mentioned and am about to sell a few more of my lower graded books (#5, 11, 12 and maybe a few more) that I plan on upgrading anyway because I need to raise some cash. But I can say that at one time or another I have owned every ASM book from #1-441 and still own 99.5% of them. I just sold my low graded #18 & 21, and I had a low grade #100 that I sold a while back. I'm also complete on the original runs of Web, Spectacular, and adjectiveless (McFarlane), and damn close on Team-Up.

Is your ASM run complete, cloudofwit?

I stopped my run at issue 600. I still have everything, but just lost the enjoyment. For my run to be complete, it had to include the price variants, which took me a few years to track down.

For me the joy stopped a couple of times. I quit all the Spidey titles cold turkey after the clone fiasco, so my ASM run ended in the early 400's (don't remember the issue exactly, but the one where they revealed that the wrong guy had been Spidey since the 70's) until the OCD kicked in about 2007 and I filled in the run up to #441. But I refuse to buy anything past #441 because the reboot really irritated me. And the fact that they reverted to the original numbering later just showed Marvel to be the hypocrites we knew they were all along.

The only price variant I have is #155, which I got entirely by accident. I wouldn't mind filling in the others, but frankly I would rather spend my money on other books.

Not quite, I'm missing those 3 I mentioned and am about to sell a few more of my lower graded books (#5, 11, 12 and maybe a few more) that I plan on upgrading anyway because I need to raise some cash. But I can say that at one time or another I have owned every ASM book from #1-441 and still own 99.5% of them. I just sold my low graded #18 & 21, and I had a low grade #100 that I sold a while back. I'm also complete on the original runs of Web, Spectacular, and adjectiveless (McFarlane), and damn close on Team-Up.

Whoops. I read your sentence to mean your collection was raw except for slabbed copies of #18, 21, and 100. :doh:

I'm very close on my run. Five more to go: #3-4; 8-9; and 14. Unless something strange happens, I'll be looking for very low grade copies of these (FR to GD range). Once I get these, I will seriously celebrate (:headbang:) because I had a complete set as a 25-year-old back in 1992 (#1-360 or so) but broke them up. :cry:

After celebrating, I guess it is on to the Annuals though I too don't get too excited about them. I hope my OCD doesn't drag me into complete runs of those other titles you've mentioned, but I know myself well enough to say anything's possible. :lol: Although out of all of those, the Marvel Team-Up title would probably be first because I sure do remember those growing up. :cloud9:

Edited by cloudofwit

I stopped my run at issue 600. I still have everything, but just lost the enjoyment. For my run to be complete, it had to include the price variants, which took me a few years to track down.

Well, I'll tell you. Keeping up with the thrice-monthly schedule on ASM when my LCS closed down isn't exactly a monthly thrill.

But your collecting the variants too to have a true complete run is pretty hard core. :hail:

Whoops. I read your sentence to mean your collection was raw except for slabbed copies of #18, 21, and 100. :doh:

I'm very close on my run. Five more to go: #3-4; 8-9; and 14. Unless something strange happens, I'll be looking for very low grade copies of these (FR to GD range). Once I get these, I will seriously celebrate (:headbang:) because I had a complete set as a 25-year-old back in 1992 (#1-360 or so) but broke them up. :cry:

After celebrating, I guess it is on to the Annuals though I too don't get too excited about them. I hope my OCD doesn't drag me into complete runs of those other titles you've mentioned, but I know myself well enough to say anything's possible. :lol: Although out of all of those, the Marvel Team-Up title would probably be first because I sure do remember those growing up. :cloud9:

Nah, I have a few slabbed copies but they are definitely the minority in my run. I had a long hiatus in my collecting while I was in grad school, and really got back into comics in earnest in about 2005. Since that point I have filled in any holes in my original run with CGC'd books, so if you look at my registry you can pretty much tell what I was missing back then. My #1, 7, 20, 35, 54 & 118 were self-submissions after I joined, but the others were bought online or at shows.

Good luck with the few that you need! #3 was an arch-nemesis for me, as was #4. My #4 was actually the first CGC book I bought after getting back into collecting. I've got a few low-graders I am planning to let go soon, but none that you need. I do have a really pretty raw #14 that looks easily VF but is trimmed, so if that is something that might interest you we could talk.

Spidey is what got me into collecting, so that is why I worked to complete everything. I was reading it all back in the 80's-90's, and when I ran out of Amazings to buy at my LCS I bought back issues of the other titles. Back then most back issues were $1 so it was cheap to chase them. I am hoping to get a copy of every single Spidey appearance up to the reboot, and I am mostly down to searching for random guest appearances. Presently the oldest appearance I need is Strange Tales Annual #2, and I'll likely be waiting a while to get that as I would like an 8.0 and I'll need to save up...

Nothing earth shaking but these are a few I had a couple years ago. I've since sold them. I still miss the 128 :(

ASM128.jpg

That #128 looks a whole lot better than a mere 9.4! :takeit: Nice books!

I know. That's what I said when I submitted it. Probably could have benefitted from a press