• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
13 13

1,674 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2023 at 5:55 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Since it's CGC's website, I went with their definition in their glossary which states: BRONZE AGE. CGC Registry term for comics published 1970 through 1984. I used to say thru 1979 but it's not my most collected area, so I yielded to their cut-off designation. (thumbsu

Thanks, just curious.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:06 AM, Frisco Larson said:

No problem. I'm curious, where's your cut-off for Bronze?

Probably somewhere just over issue 200 or so, but I haven't put much effort into in years.  Like I have opined, it felt like comics changed for me when Ross Andru left ASM after issue 185.  I'm sure that's a minority opinion, but the book seemed different at the time back in the day.  It seemed like the backgrounds were less detailed and just less in general.  Now to be fair, I only collected a few series at that time, so I didn't have a great sense of what else was happening in the Marvel Universe.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:24 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I always found the covers with yellow backgrounds to be some of my favorite.  Probably the contrast between the yellow of the background and red and blue of Spidey' suit made them pop.  

I didn't even notice my post was heavy with yellow lol I guess I feel the same way.

On 8/13/2023 at 4:06 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Not feeling either of these, wonder if someone was bored and said 195, let's use 140 as an example :facepalm:

image.thumb.png.bfe9cb6a0205ac9a2ff0d13f98812c8e.pngimage.png.7056d6bdf67c0386ef8b562216959ca7.png

Yes, I agree, I didn't like either of those covers either.  Just give me one large image of something related to the inside of the book.

On 8/13/2023 at 7:17 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, I agree, I didn't like either of those covers either.  Just give me one large image of something related to the inside of the book.

Yes! Would have been a better choice. One single panel 👌

On 8/13/2023 at 3:06 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Not feeling either of these, wonder if someone was bored and said 195, let's use 140 as an example :facepalm:

image.thumb.png.bfe9cb6a0205ac9a2ff0d13f98812c8e.png

This was done many times. by a better artist.  127, and then certainly much better in 135.

Multiple times before that as well.

There's an obvious, good reason why 140 is not a highly coveted book.

The same as 137.

The cover sucks.

On 8/14/2023 at 5:09 AM, sledgehammer said:

This was done many times. by a better artist.  127, and then certainly much better in 135.

Multiple times before that as well.

There's an obvious, good reason why 140 is not a highly coveted book.

The same as 137.

The cover sucks.

127 was crud as well, 135 is okay.