• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #20 ~ 1st Batmobile cover 1943 ~ Very nice copy!

17 posts in this topic

I'm a little low on cash for the Holidays so I'm reluctantly putting this up for sale. Nice copy of Batman #20 published in 1943 and featuring the first cover appearance of the Batmobile. This key book has amazingly bright colors and off-white pages. There is a piece of tape that the previous owner snagged on the grill of the Batmobile...looks like they tried to remove it and then gave up. Even with the tape I think this is an easy VG or better. Book is complete with everything tightly attached. No restoration that I'm aware of but of course I'm no expert. Guide says $500 in VG...my price is $450 firm.

batman20.jpg

batman20b.jpg

Ooh! I trust whoever snagged that tape on there gave themselves 50 lashes!

If I hadn't already overspent horrendously this month I'd be sorely tempted.

I imagine that tape could be professionally removed without garnering a PLOD, yes?

I've been able to remove tape like that with a blow drier to heat up the "glue and a exacto knife carefully lifting from the edge working slowly while continuing to apply heat from the blow drier. (Not for the faint of heart) It left no residue since the tape was relatively new.

I thought about trying to remove the tape (looks like somebody tried and stopped when they realized they were doing more harm than good) but I was just too terrified to attempt anything like that on a 60+ year-old book! I'm sure it can be professionally done, but I don't know if that would merit a PLOD or not. (shrug)

If it doesn't sell I will probably have it slabbed tape and all...but SURELY somebody will jump on this...you don't see these come along very often! :hi:

Ouch!! :(

Still a very, VERY nice book. From the looks of it the tape at least appears to be relatively new and that is a good thing since there is no visible staining. If it were removed I think it would only be downgraded for the loss of ink and not receive a PLOD. Not 100% sure though. (shrug)

Good luck with the sale.

Ze-

Would a tape on the FC garner a PLOD? I thought tape is not restoration

No, it wouldn't, it would just be downgraded.

Agreed. I would have given it a 4.5 to 5.0 without the tape...still a strong 4.0 even with the tape. C'mon guys...I know somebody wants this...I'll throw in FREE Priority Mail shipping to anywhere in the world. :popcorn: