• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the single rarest comic book?

123 posts in this topic

I concur, SR 6 is mega tough, but I have seen one other than JB's....I would happily pay many mulitples of guide for an Aman 26

gator

Wow Gator!!! That's info to me!!! I don't suppose you could tell me who had that copy????:gossip:

Is he a Board member????

You can PM me if you'd prefer!!! Joe

Mark Zaid would know better than me, but I would think some of the rarest comics and maybe even the rarest would be a Promotional Comic....they had very low print runs and distribution channels to start with, and then add to that how few copies survived...........

Were they on the newstands though? I'm not talking about giveaways, ashcans, or promotional items. I'm talking about ones put out by a publisher as a normal comic for sale. What's your vote, Steve? :whistle:

Double Action

I'm now up to 4 known copies of Teenage Diary Secrets 7, and 3 known copies of number 9. That's after 13 years, including a Michelle Nolan investigation (although that was years ago). At the time, she wasn't sure that #7 existed and wrote an article in CBM stating that. A single person reported a copy. I've managed to dig up 2 more copies, and there was one in the Crippen collection.

Other super rarities: Funny Pages 41 (I've seen only 2 or 3 ever) 40 (I've seen one copy), Sharp Comics #1 (I'm not sure if this exists), Amazing Mystery Funnies v2 #4 (why, oh why did I sell my copy - only one I've ever seen) and v2 #1 and some books that I don't want to reveal due to my "active" search for them.

I think that there are a lot of obscure publisher books (MLJ, Centaur, Ace, Hillman, early Harvey) that seem rarer than they are because they don't guide for much and demand isn't exactly high. However, they never see the light of day, and therefore we have no perception of how rare they truly are.

I'm now up to 4 known copies of Teenage Diary Secrets 7, and 3 known copies of number 9. That's after 13 years, including a Michelle Nolan investigation (although that was years ago). At the time, she wasn't sure that #7 existed and wrote an article in CBM stating that. A single person reported a copy. I've managed to dig up 2 more copies, and there was one in the Crippen collection.

Other super rarities: Funny Pages 40 (I've seen only 2 or 3 ever) 41 (I've seen one copy), Sharp Comics #1 (I'm not sure if this exists), Amazing Mystery Funnies v2 #4 (why, oh why did I sell my copy - only one I've ever seen) and v2 #1 and some books that I don't want to reveal due to my "active" search for them.

I think that there are a lot of obscure publisher books (MLJ, Centaur, Ace, Hillman, early Harvey) that seem rarer than they are because they don't guide for much and demand isn't exactly high. However, they never see the light of day, and therefore we have no perception of how rare they truly are.

I couldn't agree with you more. I think the demand on a lot of these books is low therefore they stay in collections.

Collectors that own these copies know they are worth WAY beyond Overstreet in most cases and are not willing to part with them at those (Price Guide) prices!!!!

AMF v2 N4 is another book I'm in total agreement with. Haven't seen one for sale and I've been Watching!!!

I concur, SR 6 is mega tough, but I have seen one other than JB's....I would happily pay many mulitples of guide for an Aman 26

gator

Wow Gator!!! That's info to me!!! I don't suppose you could tell me who had that copy????:gossip:

Is he a Board member????

don't remember specifics, but it was either in SD or Chicago this past summer...it was priced about 4x guide if memory serves me (I was cognizant of it, but was not yet collecting SR, so I had not done research on it)

rick

gator

Is he a Board member????

don't remember specifics, but it was either in SD or Chicago this past summer...it was priced about 4x guide if memory serves me (I was cognizant of it, but was not yet collecting SR, so I had not done research on it)

rick

Thanks Rick, that's good info. :banana:

It might still be around this year (I hope in chicago). 4x guide is not good though, but I understand it!!! . hm

gator

Is he a Board member????

rick

It might still be around this year (I hope in chicago). 4x guide is not good though, but I understand it!!! . hm

I will be in Chicago, we need to make arrangements to meet, and then go centaur hunting!

gator

Is he a Board member????

rick

I will be in Chicago, we need to make arrangements to meet, and then go centaur hunting!

Nothing would please me more while in Chicago!!! :headbang:

Got scans of any of those rarities? I'm curious to see how they look if in fact scans are available..

Only the TA Diary Secrets are still in my collection. All the others are (sadly) elsewhere.

And I should point out that I had my numbers switched for Funny Pages 40 & 41. The 40 is rarer.

49548-amf2-4.jpg.b9416063fe17d8edcfb4949a6d563141.jpg

49549-funnypages40.jpg.64834e7d0a79e4ccfa3fcc702dffc1ac.jpg

49550-funnypages41.jpg.80ceb4689ac80bc6a9d3fa665e12e923.jpg

49551-TADiarySecrets9.JPG.f3b50e9b04c93787542bbf9471766548.JPG

49552-TeenageDiarySecrets7.JPG.314d058372ce955a889298a4bb123ac1.JPG

I'm sure there are at least a few books out there with only one known copy surviving. Can't think of what they would be right now, but I recall debating this before.